"Nobody buys Cowboys any more!"

Started by Father Ted, December 04, 2014, 05:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Ted

So why is this?  I'd love to see a FPS depicting shootouts from movies (or pastiches if licences are too expensive).  Coop v AI version of the Magnificent Seven?  Team deathmatch for Gunfight at the OK Corral? You could have some sort of mouse-controlled mechanism to do quick-draw and have duel servers.

I know there have been games, but they've never really succeeded, and I don't see why.  The mythical wild west is surely the archetypal setting for a FPS.

Jarhead0331

You play Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood? Very good game there.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a really fun little game as well.  It's got all the usual cowboy tropes and the story is well acted and plays out in a really interesting way.   You play through a series of flashbacks as an old timer recounts his story to a crowd in a bar.  Sometimes one of the listeners will call him out of some fishy sounding part of his story and reality will suddenly shift in game as he back pedals and clarifies.

Steelgrave

I would love a Western themed RPG or MMO even. That's been a dream game of mine for years. But it has to be realistic, no power ups or crap like that.

Except for zombies. I'm ok with zombies being a part.

jomni

Cowboys are racist and probably mysogynistic.
Games with these characters won't fly these days.
They'll get flak left and right.  :idiot2:

Steelgrave

Yet that changes my desire for said game not at all........

Staggerwing

Quote from: jomni on December 04, 2014, 07:37:26 PM

... pun...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 04, 2014, 07:41:57 PM

... pun...
Wow didn't notice that.  Boom boom boom!

Steelgrave

Nah, I caught it. I just want my damn cowboy game, ha!

RooksBailey

Quote from: Father Ted on December 04, 2014, 05:00:12 PM
So why is this?  I'd love to see a FPS depicting shootouts from movies (or pastiches if licences are too expensive).  Coop v AI version of the Magnificent Seven?  Team deathmatch for Gunfight at the OK Corral? You could have some sort of mouse-controlled mechanism to do quick-draw and have duel servers.

I know there have been games, but they've never really succeeded, and I don't see why.  The mythical wild west is surely the archetypal setting for a FPS.

I've often wondered about the same thing!  There were only three recent titles of note:  Red Dead Redemption (sadly, no PC version), Call of Juarez (I tried the demo and loved it, but never purchased it because I heard it doesn't work well with Win 8.1), and Borderlands (okay, that is more western sci-fi, but still).  That is it!  Sad! 

I would think a western shooter would be a lot of fun, especially seeing how the weaponry would be much more skill-based than what you have in a modern shooter.  Add in some horses like in M&B (which does have a western mod), and you could even have a type of Battlefield dynamic.  Add in some indians, and you have the makings for some great team-based play. 

I would think such a setting would offer a lot of fun and possibilities for any game studio.  But sadly we live in a time where video game design seems to be all about "you go first," at least when it comes to big devs.

Lastly, one of my favorite SSI titles was a tactical wargame about shoot-outs in the old west (I forget the name).  It felt a lot like the old Computer Ambush as you had all sorts of tactical options, and could really use the terrain to your advantage (you could hide behind bars, under tables, etc.).  A lot of fun!   

I am curious: has anyone made a board game with a gunfighter theme?

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

jomni

Wait. Did you just say mount and blade cowboy mod? That's cool. Is there an existing project?

Skoop

I bought red dead redemption in the bargain bin at target years after it was released simply because of the western theme and the fact that there's not much out there.  I still play it every now and then, It's the same engine as the gta series, but the western theme actually fits in well.  In fact I think it's one of the best rockstar games using the gta engine.  Shocked they never got around to a PC version.

Steelgrave

Quote from: jomni on December 04, 2014, 08:41:29 PM
Wait. Did you just say mount and blade cowboy mod? That's cool. Is there an existing project?

That would be amazing.

My dream Western is a Skyrim, where you can build, mod, mine, adventure...where there is a rep system where you can become notorious for your misdeeds, where you can build a reputation with a gun and put on a Marshal's star. Where guns are accurately modeled, where you can feel the sand under your feet in Tombstone and sweat over if you have enough bullets to survive the warband of Apache's you just crossed.

Yeah, I'd buy that.

MengJiao

Cowboys are racist and probably mysogynistic.

I suspect that nothing about cowboys seems racist or mysogynistic enough.  SS panzertruppen "HimmelTigeroid" cowboys from a spartan world without women might sell.

Bardolph

Quote from: RooksBailey on December 04, 2014, 08:34:30 PM

I am curious: has anyone made a board game with a gunfighter theme?

Gunslinger, by Avalon Hill circa 1982. Accept no substitutes. It might cost ya a bit but well worth it. Kind of detailed/crunchy in the 80's wargame way, but I've played few games that tell stories like Gunslinger does. I remember specific incidents from games I played 30 years ago.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1044/gunslinger

If you are willing to go down the miniatures path, The Rules With No Name are hard to beat. Requires a bit more effort but a fine set of rules and a fun game.
http://www.mts.net/~gisby/noname.htm