Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I already know from chat that the Progressives and the Aristocrats agree with both Proposals in sequence.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to process them, but the Proposals will each thus pass the majority; and with the departure of the Roman Consul the Senate will be closed (unless someone throws a Tribune to veto his Proposal to deploy himself; or to Propose something else before the Senate closes; or unless he hands off the PM post to the Censor after the Field Consul has gone -- none of which I expect to happen.)

Once the Deployments are processed, I'll move on thereby to the Combat Phase; and having resolved that, to the start of the Revolution Phase, with a reminder to any Players with valid Faction cards to play. So, a busy evening for me tomorrow!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Urgh, apologies, very wiped out yesterday after work. Hopefully should move along more quickly this afternoon or tomorrow (though I'll be away from my main computer for several hours tomorrow afternoon).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Still bluerghy, but recovered enough! -- let's get to it!  <:-)

Manlius of the Militarists Proposes first that Field Consul Cornelius of the Aristocrats be Deployed with all Legions to prosecute the 2nd Samnite War; and then that Manlius himself as Roman Consul will take all Fleets and Prosecute the 1st Punic War. With agreement votes from the Progressives, Aristocrats, and Populists, both Proposals pass, and with the Presiding Magistrate leaving Rome (on Deployment) the Senate automatically closes.

This ends the Senate Phase.

JasonPratt

With Field consul Cornelius Deployed, the Aristocrat total Influence drops by 20 points to 36; and their normal vote tally drops by 6 points to 9.

With Roman Consul Manlius Deployed, the Militarist total Influence drops by 18 points to 22; and their vote tally drops by 5 points to 12.

Time to put the boots down!

TURN NINE -- COMBAT PHASE
----------------------------------

JasonPratt

First up: the Revered Field Consul Cornelius, Faction Leader of the Aristocrats, vs. the 2nd Samnite War!

Total Legions: 15
Veteran Legions added again: +1
Add Cornelius' Mil Skill: +4 (all used)
Subtract War's Land Strength: -5
No Active Matching Wars, no Enemy Leaders, no extra enemy Forces.
DRM = 15+1+4-5= +15.

This means it is impossible for any 3d6 roll to score less than a modified 18, which is a Victory without Roman Casualties. However, the D/S risks still count, so the roll must be made.

No dice-roller yet reinstalled for the forum, so I roll them on the TTS. Results, 4+5+6=15. Close to a Standoff, but not quite, whew!

Unrest down 1 to 0! No enemy leader, so no Spolia Opima yet. This War does not provide Spoils for Rome. Proper consolidation of this Samnite territory under Republican management does increase annual Republic Revenue by 20 Talents, up to 80! It also adds no less than 5 new Legions, and 5 new Fleets (16th through 20th each, inclusive) to the logistic Force Pool! The 2nd Samnite War permanently discards.

Cornelius gains half the War's 5 Land strength, rounded up: so his Influence goes up 3 to 23, and his Popularity goes up to 3. No Pop adjustment down for losing any Legions. The 2nd Legion becomes Veteran! -- Cornelius earns their loyalty chip. Cornelius marches back toward Rome with 2 Veteran and 13 regular Legions. Assuming he arrives in the next Phase, normal Vote tally will go back up 3 Ora + 3 knights to 15; and total Influence will go back up 23 points to 59.

Thanks to the Aristocrat special ability, Cornelius farms an extra point to be given to Quinctius or Valerius, at I.I.'s decision. The new total will then by 60 Influence.

This ends the 2nd Samnite War.

The next fight will be significantly harder...

JasonPratt

The Republic faces its first Naval Battle...

Roman Consul Manlius, Faction Leader of the Militarists, vs. Hamilcar and the Navy of the 1st Punic War!

Total number of Fleets: 15
Add Manlius' Mil Skill: +6 (all used)
Subtract War's base Naval Strength: -10
Subtract Hamilcar's bonus: -3
No Matching War, no extra enemy forces.
DRM = 15+6-10-3 = +8.

A total of 11, 12, or 14 will be a Standoff; a total of 8 or 13 will be a Disaster. (Hamilcar is adding his D/S potentials, and Manlius cannot eliminate the War's.)

3d6 = 3+4+6 = 13! AACKKK! Normally 13 + 8 would be 21 and thus a no-loss victory, but 13 triggers a natural Disaster result before the DRM gets applied!

Unrest increases by 1 to 1! The Fleets lose 50% casualties rounded up! -- 8 Fleets. Randomly those turn out to be the 14th, 13th, 12th, 9th, 6th, 5th, 2nd, and 1st.

Manlius loses 1 Pop for every 2 Fleets lost rounded down, so down 4 Pop to 1. He draws 8 chits from the vigorously shuffled Death bag. Results: 28, x2 -- put back, shuffle, new total 9 chits! -- blank, 11 (one of the Papirian sons dies), 25, blank, blank, 26, 17 (that's one of Plautius' cousins), annnnd 7! -- one of Fulvius' sisters gets bad news. But #6 Manlius survives!

With no Victory, Manlius must stay afloat. Dead Fleets return to the Force Pool. Manlius stays as Proconsul with 7 Fleets, now as Proconsul. This means Field Consul Cornelius will be HRAO in Rome (unless he chooses rebellion).

The War's Fleet strength now exceeds Manlius' Fleet strength (10 to 7), and there wasn't a Naval Victory; so the War counts as Unprosecuted (or insufficiently Prosecuted in this case).

This ends the Combat Phase.

JasonPratt

TURN NINE -- REVOLUTION PHASE
-----------------------------

Any Players with valid Statesmen and/or Concessions can play them now. I have sent a p-mail reminder to any valid Players; if you didn't get one, you don't have a valid card to play.

Players may also trade or donate Faction cards among yourselves, with immediate arrival. No one needs to reduce your cards down to the maximum 5.

I.I. must now choose whether to hand Cornelius' Legions back to the Republic, or rebel against the Senate.

If he chooses to remain loyal, he may now choose to Retire the 2nd Legions, whose loyalty he holds and who served with him in his Victory.

And that catches me up for tonight!  O:-)

IncompetentIdiot

Cornelius has no intention of standing against the Republic. Extra influence to Valerius.

Tripoli

A Little Side Note: On this day in history ( January 11, 49 BC): This day in history embodies the concept of how a "journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" as Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon River to march on Rome, kicking off The Great Roman Civil War, which in turn ended the era of the republic and gave rise to the Roman Empire. (Text curtosey of The Great Courses)
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

I.I. chooses to remain loyal, and gives back the Legions including 2nd Vets. He gives the extra Influence point to Valerius, up to 18.

I.I. plays his (currently) last remaining Faction card: Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus! -- a famous Statesman who takes over the Cornelian family chits. His 5 Oratory increases the Aristocrat normal vote tally to 17, and his 6 Influence plus the 18 Influence points earned by his family Senator, kicks the Aristocrat tally up to 61 total Influence. Africanus, as might be expected, voids any normal D/S result from any Punic War (though he cannot void Enemy Leader D/S results).

Malize plays the ultra-general Statesman Quintus Fabius Maximum Verrucosus Cuncator! -- a Mil 5 defensive mastermind who, unless he is acting as Master of Horse, halves all losses (rounded up) in any of his Combats! His 3 Influence bumps the Populist total up to 18; and his 2 Oratory increases their Vote Tally to 25.

The Fabian family is out of play in the Curia at the moment; so while this allows Malize to politically activate the senator for his Faction (the family isn't already helping another Faction), he can't get the family Senator until the Fabians randomly respawn from the Curia. This means if Verruc dies, there will be no vanilla replacement so far. On the other hand, as long as Verruc lives, Malize will now automatically pick up the Fabian family once they return to the Senate.

(I'll have snapshots of the new Statesmen along with updated mats soon, when I finish the Faction income of the Revenue Phase.)

This seems to end the Revolution Phase, although if anyone wants to donate or trade cards I will as usual allow a reasonable lag time for immediate reception. (Otherwise the cards will be Delayed Transfer until the end of next Turn.)

And with that, the Ninth Turn ends!

JasonPratt

TURN TEN -- MORTALITY PHASE
---------------------------

The Turn starts with the Immanent 3rd Samnite War going Active.

It's the toughest (and now last) of the pre-Early Wars, with a Land Strength of 8. But beating it will solidify a final set of territories around Rome, adding 20 Talents to income each Turn, and the final five Legions and Fleets to the Force Pool.

After a thorough shuffle, Family #16, the Calpurnicans, is drawn from the death bag. The Kindly Ones still have a crush on the Progressive Faction, alas! Calpurnicus loses his chits, and (not being the Faction Leader) his family goes to the bottom of the Curia stack. Total Influence goes down to 20; and normal vote tally goes down to 6.

This ends the Mortality Phase.

JasonPratt

TURN TEN -- REVENUE PHASE
-------------------------

Segment one of the Revenue Phase: Faction Income!

I.I.'s Aristocrats have 4 starting cash; + 15 personal cash; +3+1+1 senator income; +2+3+3 knight income; +1 priest income; +2+2 Tax Farming; +3 Harbor Fees
= new Faction total 40 Talents!

Tripoli's Militarists have 6 starting cash; +25 personal cash; +3+1+1 senator income; +5+3 knight income; +2+2 Tax Farming
= new Faction total 48 Talents!

Note that Proconsul Manlius is still at the 1st Punic War, so his votes and influence have been deducted from the Faction totals. (I should have changed over his Roman Consul chit to a Proconsul on this card, too: when senators are away from Rome I keep duplicates of them in both places, marked to show their location, thus the little War card on his card.)

The Frog's Plutocrats have 9 starting cash; +14 personal cash; +5+1+1 senator income (Plutocrat ability); (+4+2+2)x2 knight income (Plutocrat ability); +1+1 priest income; +1d6=4 PontMax income
= new Faction total 52 Talents!

AzTank's Conservatives have 37 starting cash; +10 personal cash; +3+1+1 senator income; +2+2 knight income; +1+1 priest income
= new Faction total 58 Talents!

Malize's Populists have 2 starting cash; +0 personal cash; +3+1+1+1 senator income; +2+1+1 knight income; +3 Mining Concession
= new Faction total 15 Talents!

Erax's Progressives have 3 starting cash; +13 personal cash; +3+1 senator income; +3 knight income; +2+2 Tax Farming
= new Faction total 27 Talents!

All triggered Concessions now have a Minor Corruption Suspicion.

The Republic has a Treasury of 6 Talents right now, and can expect a 50 Talent donation from Allied Enthusiasm plus a normal (new) income of 80 Talents. Expected expenses include -10 for the 3rd Samnite War; -20 for the 1st Punic War; -2x15 Active Legions; and -2x7 Active Fleets.

Currently Unrest =1. An unassigned senator Sulpicius lingers in the Forum with 28 personal cash.

Players should now, in Segment 2, distribute their cash to their senators, and plan ahead for expenses during the upcoming Forum Phase. Donations to the Republic can be done now. Any donations or trading of cash between Players will transfer immediately.

malize

10 to Cato (will donate to treasury)
5 to Fabius (will acquire knight)

IncompetentIdiot

15 to Scipio, 10 to Quinctius, 5 to Valerius.

Erax

2 to Flaminius, Plautius donates 20 and keeps 5 for a Knight.