Steel Fury 1942 STA 3.3 Mod

Started by Jarhead0331, July 21, 2018, 07:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

33lima

Thanks for the friendly welcome guys and sorry about the oversized pics, which caught me out too.

Hopefully these downsized ones will be better:

This Panther A is I think an updated version which comes with the 3.X version of the STA mod. Despite having 3.X for a while, I stuck with 2.X because in 3.X, you can no longer read the briefing and look at the map until after the mission starts playing. But many mission makers now deal with this by putting the briefing, and possibly some sort of map, into the mission intro screen, which you can read at leisure, before the action begins.

Whichever version of the STA mod you go for, modding SF is as simple as:

1. installing SF, clean, and if desired setting your preferences like screen res, image quality and difficulty, and checking it all works;
2. downloading all the components listed for your desired version of STA;
3. running the widely-used Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler inside SF, to create a MODS folder therein (2&3 not needed for Steam version as JSGME is included);
4. unzipping the components you downloaded into the SF JSGME MODS folder;
5. enabling the mods in the exact order indicated for the STA version you are using;
6. running the 4GB patch on two files (starter.exe and shell.exe) - after enabling the base STA mod since it replaces these files.

SF doesn't like Nvidia anti-aliasing (results in corrupted graphics if applied in NCP) so Nvidia Inspector is used instead, to set a specific value for AA Compatibility (000012C1) which then enables AA to be applied in an Nvidia Inspector (not NCP) profile for SF (which profile must be linked to the file shell.exe, not starter.exe).

The process is described in the Japanese wiki site in more detail here (again, MS Edge will translate well): https://wikiwiki.jp/pzfr/%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3%81%AE%E5%A7%8B%E3%82%81%E6%96%B9

I think STA3.4 doesn't need this, as, like Steel Armour Blaze of War, it introduces its own AA setting (called 'Smoothing' in the Options menu, IIRC). Similarly I don't think 3.4 needs the 4gb patch (step 6 above).

My 3.4 install doesn't use my Steam version of SF but I've no reason to suppose it isn't compatible.

There are older SF mods (SPM and NTA) which might still be locatable somewhere on the interweb but they have been entirely surpassed by the STA version.

The main downsides of SF are somewhat limited platoon control (and nearly all of what you can do, can only be done from the map screen, there are no hotkeys eg for formation changes); verbal target indications are hard to follow unless you leave the subtle target markers and/or the turret direction indicator turned on; and your AI platoon-mates tend to want to charge the enemy if you let them off the leash at all. There's a huge number of single missions (there's even one for a motorcycle & sidecar IIRC!) but relatively few campaigns. SABOW was the next big step forward in these areas from Graviteam, but is relatively un-modable and so is still limited to its original scope...although within that, it is a tanksim in the Steel Beasts class, but with better visuals and dynamic campaigns.

Pete Dero

Lowest price ever for the game so take advantage if you want to try this mod.

https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SFURY/steel-fury-kharkov-1942

Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942   -81%  (2,34 €)    for the next 2 days.

RyanE

33lima, I gotta tell ya, you're "simple" instructions, doing a little investigative work, and reading a few forums sure don't validate the comment about it being simple.  It might be fun and it might be worth it, but it looks anything but simple.

Gusington

Uh oh RyanE is displeased!

A 'thank you' would have been the cool thing to do, and then try to figure it out on your own. And failing that, come back for additional help. But I digress.

Way to support the modders!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RyanE

Quote from: Gusington on October 10, 2020, 04:41:29 PM
Uh oh RyanE is displeased!

A 'thank you' would have been the cool thing to do, and then try to figure it out on your own. And failing that, come back for additional help. But I digress.

Way to support the modders!

Sorry to disappoint.  But would you rather I lie?

Gusington

Of course not. But some manners are always welcome, RyanE.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RyanE

Well I guess this forum is full of disappointment today.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LoganismyHERO

Ma'ma always said, if you can't say something nice....then shut yer hole  O0

Pete Dero

I believe the site where you could get this mod is gone.

I found an alternative download for STA 3.4 : https://il2freemodding.createaforum.com/index.php/topic,2125.0.html

Direct link to Google Drive location : https://drive.google.com/uc?id=10y-Do4_WtbJ4dej80qRvvfP3nVp7rwyj&export=download  (12 GB)

If there still is a way to get it while supporting the developer let me know and ignore those links.
If not get it while it's available.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

zenolover1

Has anyone had any luck getting into their new forums? It is locked and unable to register. I was wondering how a newcomer might be able to get ITM if this is the case?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: zenolover1 on February 17, 2021, 03:33:00 PM
Has anyone had any luck getting into their new forums? It is locked and unable to register. I was wondering how a newcomer might be able to get ITM if this is the case?

I've been trying to communicate with the mod team since April or May of last year. The last email I received was to check back in July. I haven't received any responses to any of my emails since. I do have access to the new forum though, so I'll reach out to mechanic again and let him know some of the grogheads want to know how to acquire the most current version of ITM.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

zenolover1

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 17, 2021, 03:38:09 PM
Quote from: zenolover1 on February 17, 2021, 03:33:00 PM

I've been trying to communicate with the mod team since April or May of last year. The last email I received was to check back in July. I haven't received any responses to any of my emails since. I do have access to the new forum though, so I'll reach out to mechanic again and let him know some of the grogheads want to know how to acquire the most current version of ITM.

Thats awesome to hear. Just got into this game but found out that the best version of the mod is locked and unable to access for a newcomer!

Jarhead0331

OK... I was able to connect with the ITM guys and get links for the latest files. They are all password protected. To get the 2021 updates you must donate $5. The forum is only open by invite to new members so if anybody here wants access let me know and I will give them the list.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18