Ghost Recon: Breakpoint

Started by Huw the Poo, September 08, 2019, 06:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

The game is only a month from release and some of us have been participating in the beta this weekend, so I guess it's time for its own thread (previous brief discussion was in the Wildlands thread).

I've played the beta, but not much because I'm definitely going to buy the game.  My initial impressions - as someone who loves and still plays Wildlands - are extremely positive.  The world looks like it's going to be just as huge as that of Wildlands.  When Breakpoint was first announced I was afraid they were going to emphasise the survival element too strongly, but I now know that they aren't.  This is basically a (minor) evolution of Wildlands in a different setting, with some elements of The Division thrown in.  For example, you now get hubs where you see other players, just like in The Division, and at these hubs you can shop, craft, and do other things like prepare for your next mission (basically choose a boost - extra XP, extra stamina and so on).

As we should all expect from Ubisoft, the world is absolutely beautiful and totally believable.  The small corner I've seen so far contains grasslands, mountains, swamps, waterfalls etc.  It's also littered with vehicles, much to my joy!  The first hub always has a helo, jeep, and several bikes outside whenever you spawn.

Apart from the new additions I mentioned above, the gameplay is very much Wildlands, albeit without a squad (which I know has put some people off but honestly I haven't had need of a squad so far).  Ubisoft are masters of the open world, and as usual you have multiple options to approach each mission.  For fans of Wildlands it's a no-brainer and frankly I can't wait to get my hands on the game.

As a side note, to my surprise I find myself slowly investing more and more in UPlay.  Ubisoft are slowly and quietly improving the platform all the time, and I'm coming to like some of the social features.  I never thought I'd hear myself say this to be honest.

Huw the Poo

For those who care, I've been reading that AI squad mates will be added at or post launch.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 09, 2019, 11:15:59 AM
For those who care, I've been reading that AI squad mates will be added at or post launch.

I care. I really REALLY care!

Seriously, this is fantastic news.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

Very nice.  Once I get my World of .... fix over and done with (for the time being), I need to jump back into Ubi's Division/Wildlands stuff, and I like how Breakpoint sounds now.

Huw the Poo

Open beta from now until 29th.  Download is 30-odd GB.

Jarhead0331

Its getting pretty beat up in some of the impressions videos I have seen. Some people do not like that they have tried turning the franchise into more of a Division style looter shooter.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Yeah, it's a fair point that I can't argue.  Some elements of The Division and games-as-a-service have definitely crept in.  Ubisoft posted a fairly lengthy blog post detailing what to expect over the coming months and years, and how the currencies and other GAAS features will work.  It's pretty transparent actually, to their credit.

At the end of the day, the gameplay is still fantastic and the world is huge.  My position remains that for fans of Wildlands it's a no-brainer.

Grim.Reaper

Not sure myself yet, liked wildlands but have hated Divison for some reason....so if more division like, I might be waiting on this one...

al_infierno

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 26, 2019, 04:53:00 PM
Not sure myself yet, liked wildlands but have hated Divison for some reason....so if more division like, I might be waiting on this one...

I'm in the same boat, Wildlands was fun but Division seemed boring as hell with ridiculously bullet spongey enemies.  Not sure what to make of this title yet.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: al_infierno on September 26, 2019, 04:57:40 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 26, 2019, 04:53:00 PM

I'm in the same boat, Wildlands was fun but Division seemed boring as hell with ridiculously bullet spongey enemies.  Not sure what to make of this title yet.

Now that you say that, the crazy amount of bullets to kill somebody was one of the things that turned me off right away....

Huw the Poo

Well it's far, far more Wildlands than Division.  The enemies feel about as tough as they were in Wildlands, and a headshot is lethal.

The comparisons with The Division come from the GAAS elements, and the social hub.

Skoop

^That might not be a bad thing.

Hated the bullet sponges in the division too.  The devs intent was that you were supposed to be constantly leveling up your gear to make the AI less bulletspongy, but who really plays theses games 6 months after release.  For me, it runs its course for a few months then it's back to flight sims.  Not going to spend a year leveling up gear, it's fun for a month maybe, then it's done.

Huw the Poo

I've just been playing for the last 90 minutes or so and never needed more than three or four chest shots, or one headshot, to kill someone.  Hopefully that puts some of you at ease!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on September 27, 2019, 03:16:26 PM
^That might not be a bad thing.

Hated the bullet sponges in the division too.  The devs intent was that you were supposed to be constantly leveling up your gear to make the AI less bulletspongy, but who really plays theses games 6 months after release.  For me, it runs its course for a few months then it's back to flight sims.  Not going to spend a year leveling up gear, it's fun for a month maybe, then it's done.

That is not really my understanding of the mechanic. Damage in the Division series is point based, so it is much more RPG-like than say a standard shooter. That's why when you hit an enemy, you see the number indicating the amount of damage inflicted. It seems off putting to be in a game world that looks and feels like a traditional 3rd person shooter, but is really running like an rpg under the hood...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Apocalypse 31

The drone warfare looks stupid and all of the enemies look like armored clowns.

Game looks stupid. I wish they'd just remake the original GR in a new engine.