Dominions 3 MP game [Running]

Started by Yskonyn, February 21, 2013, 06:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Sounds like I won't be the only noob getting a royal ass-beatin.  :)

I'll be even more confused if we use mods that change the game mechanics.  I'll be playing it by ear and having little clue.

A PBEM match would probably be the preferred way what with such varied time zones & schedules.  It sounds a bit daunting, however, considering all the emails and involved in even one turn.   This kind of thing could easily turn into one of those multi-year epic pbem games where some players die of old age or syphilis before it's finished.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on March 03, 2013, 02:03:52 AM
Sounds like I won't be the only noob getting a royal ass-beatin.  :)

Target acquired!

QuoteThis kind of thing could easily turn into one of those multi-year epic pbem games where some players die of old age or syphilis before it's finished.

Hopefully! :D

undercovergeek

Lol huw - ready and waiting here, just revisiting my old frost giant tactics

Huw the Poo

Ubercat

The game itself will only require 2 Emails per turn, one turn file sent to the server and one received. Diplomatic Emails will be something else entirely. You can communicate in game, but your opponent won't receive your message until he gets his next turn.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

undercovergeek

Quote from: Ubercat on March 03, 2013, 10:48:01 AM
The game itself will only require 2 Emails per turn, one turn file sent to the server and one received. Diplomatic Emails will be something else entirely. You can communicate in game, but your opponent won't receive your message until he gets his next turn.

oooo, alliances and skullduggery, didnt think of that - i was just going to kill you all!

Yskonyn

I would propose to do diplomacy via email, not via the ingame msg system.
If we go ahead with us 5 then I am not sure if Cradle will work as a map. It might be too big. What do you think Ubercat?

Anyway please start by sending me your email addresses you want to use via a PM please.
Also state which nation you want if you havent done so.
I will update the first post with rules and info later this evening.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ubercat

Yeah, Cradle isn't big enough if we only have 5 people. Would a small random map be big enough for so few? I'm several years out of practice, and I have to leave for work now so I can't test one.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 03, 2013, 11:00:17 AM

Why do you suggest that?  I would have thought the in-game system would be perfect, and also prevents the need for everyone to exchange email addresses.

I have CBM installed by the way, and will send you my email/nation choice shortly.  Thank you very much for hosting, mate.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 03, 2013, 11:19:52 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on March 03, 2013, 11:00:17 AM

Why do you suggest that?  I would have thought the in-game system would be perfect, and also prevents the need for everyone to exchange email addresses.

I have CBM installed by the way, and will send you my email/nation choice shortly.  Thank you very much for hosting, mate.

did you install just CBM or all the graphics mods too?

Yskonyn

The in game system works ok, but I find it to be annoying sometimes that you get a vital piece of info, but only after the turn has already been played where it was vital for. ;)
Besides, the game does not store the messages. They are a one off thing and you need to remember what was written in them.
Email gets rid of these problems. But everyone is free to choose as they like. I prefer my diplo via email.

A thing on mods.
Llamaserver wants to know which mods are being played. I have no clue wether this means everyone NEEDS to have all the mods installed if they are merely graphical mods, but it might be that it is used for integrity checks to prevent cheating.

I am going to tell Llama that the hosted game has all the mods enabled as detailed in the first post. With the exception of CBM if you guys rather want to play without gameplay changes and try your hands at vanilla. Let me know.

I'll alter the first post into a common format that is often seen over at the Shrapnel boards for setting up MP games.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

First post updated...

If we are going to do a 5 player game, do we want to have some AI nations in?
Do we at least want stronger Independents to limit our expansion at first?

undercovergeek

PM'd you my email - ill go with the crowd on mods, im easy either way

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 03, 2013, 01:15:12 PM
First post updated...

I don't know the game well enough to have an opinion on this.  Whatever you guys think is best innit. :)

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 03, 2013, 01:27:31 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on March 03, 2013, 01:15:12 PM
First post updated...

I don't know the game well enough to have an opinion on this.  Whatever you guys think is best innit. :)

stronger independents sounds like a wise idea lest all those surrounded by AI rush out and expand too quick