Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Kushan, June 06, 2015, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kushan

Anyone playing the beta that can give some impressions of it? Been watching a lot of videos on it the last few weeks and am thinking of buying into it. I have a good idea what the gameplay is like but if I where to buy in any idea as to what one of the pre-order ships (Destoryers Gremyashchiy and USS Sims or the cruiser Yubari) are the "best" one to buy.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Shelldrake

Sunflare loves it - no surprise there given his USN background! I am waiting for the open beta.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

DennisS

I have played this a fair amount.

I purchased into the beta, and chose the CL Yubari. Light cruisers are fun, and this one has the exceptional IJN torpedoes.

But...the learning curve to use torpedoes is very high.

In hindsight, I should have chosen the Sims..the American destroyer. This is the most overpowered destroyer in the game, with an enormous number of guns, and a very high ROF.

The game itself is good, but predictable. The BB's and CA's stay at range and blast away at each other. Everything else tries to stay away from the big guns, and either shoots each other, or tries for a home run. A home run in this case is a torpedo run against a "heavy".

It is a good game..more contemplative and much slower than WoT, and I think more fun. I played about 8k matches in WoT, with a 57% win percentage..above 60% for my TD's, so I do have a good feel for both games.

This, like WoT, is essentially free to play, if you don't mind a slow, grindy avenue to increase your ships. As this is the way games are played, nice and slow, this works for me. It's a good game.

Dammit Carl!

Ditto
Quote from: DennisS on June 07, 2015, 09:47:39 AM
The game itself is good, but predictable. The BB's and CA's stay at range and blast away at each other. Everything else tries to stay away from the big guns, and either shoots each other, or tries for a home run. A home run in this case is a torpedo run against a "heavy".

It is a good game..more contemplative and much slower than WoT, and I think more fun.

Pretty much sums things up well.  I'll add:
1.  The typical "hit point," style of damage modeling that Wargaming uses works with ships which are, after all, huge things made of metal.  It makes sense it takes time to batter them down. 

2. Owing to the nature of shells (either AP or HE only; no premium types as of yet) and the aforementioned damage modeling, ships maintain some kind of usefulness even if they aren't top tier and that is nice.  Useless players, yes.  Useless ships, not so much.

3. I like that there is (generally) constant movement going on, so you have to keep your situational awareness going at all times.

I, too, think its a fun game and I look forward to it going out of beta and into the greater gaming world.

As far as premium ships to get, the Sims if you can afford it or the Gremalshziwalkkining (whatever) as a second pick.  Yubari, to me, is third on the list but I'm a total premium tank whore in WoT, and I'm just running Soviet and Japanese ships at this point, so of course I'll get it at some point.

Swatter

In short, if you liked WoT you will probably like WOW. The opposite is probably true too. I liked WoT for a little while, but I really don't like grinding in most circumstances. I can only stand so much of games where you battle and battle without greater context (a campaign or something). WoW was an interesting change, but my play time with that will be limited for the same reason.

FlickJax

ive finally broken away from my WoT addiction, I love ships but not sure I want another experience hanger/harbour race again !!! I get to envolved.

Kushan

Open betas is now available. If anyone is looking to team up I'm Kushan04 in game.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

DennisS

The learning curve is low in World of Warships. There is no barrier to entry, and after a half dozen or so games, you can be totally competitive with the experts.

I like this game. Destroyers, like math, are hard. Cruisers are fun, with interesting game play decisions and strategies. Battleships are one dimensional..and with just one strategy. Stay at range, and blow shit up.

Having said that, it doesn't really feel as "grindy" as WoT..although there are a goodly assortment of ship types and upgrades.

jomni

Quote from: DennisS on July 03, 2015, 04:34:25 PM
Having said that, it doesn't really feel as "grindy" as WoT..although there are a goodly assortment of ship types and upgrades.

But that's usual during Beta so that people can test out the higher tiers.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on July 03, 2015, 07:23:26 PM

Yep.

They'll bludgeon the xp gain and/or requirements after official release and the last wipe.  Then it will take longer to get new stuff (aka "grind").  Did it with the previous ones, and even continued raising the rates in later patches with the original IIRC.  Pretty much the norm with these kinds.

DennisS

Quote from: jomni on July 03, 2015, 07:23:26 PM

Yeah..that's a valid point. Hard to balance a Tier X Destroyer if nobody has one!

WallysWorld

I just installed this game and I'm having a blast with it. Really like the variety of ships and the game play is very fun.

Played a couple battles of WoT after leaving it for about four months and I just can't get back into that game.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: DennisS on June 07, 2015, 09:47:39 AM
I have played this a fair amount.

I purchased into the beta, and chose the CL Yubari. Light cruisers are fun, and this one has the exceptional IJN torpedoes.

But...the learning curve to use torpedoes is very high.

In hindsight, I should have chosen the Sims..the American destroyer. This is the most overpowered destroyer in the game, with an enormous number of guns, and a very high ROF.

It is a good game..more contemplative and much slower than WoT, and I think more fun. I played about 8k matches in WoT, with a 57% win percentage..above 60% for my TD's, so I do have a good feel for both games.

This, like WoT, is essentially free to play, if you don't mind a slow, grindy avenue to increase your ships. As this is the way games are played, nice and slow, this works for me. It's a good game.

Great summation, Dennis! I concur.

One interesting aspect that is different than WOT, is that if you choose to lone wolf it and go on the other side of the map from where all the other players are...they won't be able to help you in any appreciable time. The devs have put some thought into the design in order to "encourage" players to work together. i.e., CVs and BBs need AA protection, so they should remain close to a friendly CA; CAs can benefit from being near a friendly BB. While the BB takes the majority of attention from the enemy, the CA is free to plink away with its smaller guns. And so on.

Unfortunately, I don't see many players working together in this fashion. There are no "F key" shortcuts yet, so asking for help, or trying to indicate a target on the map is next to impossible currently.

Did I mention all of the sexy ship artwork? The ships look really outstanding. Hopefully, the devs will add additional "death animations", but the one used now is pretty good. It's even kind of fun watching your ship as it sinks...complete with oil slick.

Nefaro

This is still going to get a wipe after Open Beta is over, no?

While this one might be enjoyable for a bit, I'm more curious as to how Gaijin does their version since they tend towards a bit more historical representation, under the hood, rather than arcade.

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Nefaro on July 08, 2015, 02:50:09 PM
This is still going to get a wipe after Open Beta is over, no?

While this one might be enjoyable for a bit, I'm more curious as to how Gaijin does their version since they tend towards a bit more historical representation, under the hood, rather than arcade.

I don't think there will be another wipe. I believe the devs have alluded that this is the last wipe.