Warhammer 40k: Boltgun

Started by al_infierno, June 01, 2022, 06:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Warhammer 40k is getting a Doom style retro FPS, which is my absolute jam!  The actual game play in the trailer looks fantastic.  Also gotta love the power metal style logo.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

I saw this for the first time on Steam earlier today...I'll have to get it, for all the wrong reasons.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

There's a non-40K Warhammer Heretic/Hexen-ish game being released in tandem, too.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

Yet another game to add to my wishlist. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Destraex

I wish they would make a serious space marine simulation. The best we have in that arena is a clunky space hulk deathwing first person game. Where there is one enemy type (with variations) that is pretty run on rails. I am afraid dark tide will have a similar feel. I just cannot shoot the same thing with barely any context anymore. I want proper open world missions... Star Citizen will be enough for this eventually I hope.
But I guess that just is not what 40k is about.
I will stick to Dawn of War 1. The best 40k game ever made.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

I'm not sure if Space Hulk: Ascension counts as a serious SM simulation -- mainly because I have always had trouble believing that mere genestealers could tear apart even regular Marines, much less Termies, like paper (but of course the game was originally designed to simply be Aliens vs Colonial Marines with an original IP).

But it's dang serious, and does factor role-play squad management more than other SHulk games have done. (Including the original board game and its iterations.)

That said, much agree that DoW1, especially modded up Soulstorm in recent years, remains the best 40K game overall, so far.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 08, 2022, 02:38:10 PM
I'm not sure if Space Hulk: Ascension counts as a serious SM simulation

Did a Google search for 'serious SM simulation' but I think the results are for a different kind of gaming :).

Gusington

Maybe it's 'serious SM stimulation'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd