Documentary: "Pearl Harbor: The Accused" or "Pearl Harbor: The Truth"

Started by WallysWorld, December 06, 2016, 12:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

I just watched this fascinating 90 minute documentary on HBO Canada detailing the mishaps, goofs and perhaps(?) outright incompetence leading up to the Pearl Harbor attack. The show is based on the book "A Matter of Honor" by Anthony Summers and Robbyn Swan and  tries to explain about how Kimmel (and Short) were scapegoated by the U.S. Navy and the U.S. government.

Toronto Star article

"The Americans had actually cracked the Japanese code," says Alan Handel, the Montreal executive producer of the documentary. Washington had collected vast amounts of intelligence over the previous 12 months, all pointing to an attack. The question is, how much of that information was passed on to Kimmel?
"The full story of Admiral Kimmel opens a new window on what really happened," says Handel, who suggests the documentary "plays like a political thriller."

The show goes under a different name on History Channel: Pearl Harbor: The Truth
Trailer: Trailer

Grandson aims to restore Kimmel's honor: SC man seeks to restore grandfather's honor, 75 years after Pearl Harbor
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus