Soviet-Afghan War Games?

Started by RommelFox, September 11, 2018, 01:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RommelFox

Hi All,

Are there any Soviet-Afghan war games out there?  I see there's a John Tiller game, but that's about all I've come across. 

I've never played a Tiller game, but it seems like something I'd enjoy.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

RyanE

Take a look at Combat Mission: Afghanistan.

Jarhead0331

9th Company. It's an older RTS, but pretty cool.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

I'm pretty certain that there were Sov-Afghan scenarios in the original Steel Panthers 2: Modern Battles, so there may be a few for the successor Steel Panthers MBT, which you can DL for free from Shrapnel Games (or plunk down cash for the deluxe version):

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain  :arr:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RommelFox

Thanks for all of the recommendations!  I'm going to definitely pick some of these up.  Combat mission Afghanistan is at the top of my list.  I have some steam credit that I might use on that 9th Company rts.

I do want to try out a the Steel Panthers, and I think there are indeed some Soviet-Afghan scenarios in there.

I've never played a metal gear solid game, but the setting of this one might make me.

Thanks Grogs, I knew I could count on you to inflict a beating upon my wallet.*insert some clever phrase about Soviet Russia*
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Gusington

'In Soviet Russia wallet opens you.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

In Soviet Russia video game buys YOU!

jomni

Tinkershuffle

If alternative history is not totally out of the question then there's also Graviteam Tactics: Shield of The Prophet.

RommelFox

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on September 12, 2018, 11:46:41 PM
If alternative history is not totally out of the question then there's also Graviteam Tactics: Shield of The Prophet.

That looks really interesting.  It's going on the list!
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Micha

You can try my Peoplesgeneral Afganistan mod.

Here for free download.

www.peoplesgeneral.de

Jarhead0331

Do you have Men of War Assault Squad 2? If so, there is a mod called The Afghan War that is impressing me so far. You need the Cold War Mod to install it, and you will also need the english localization versions of both the Cold War and the Afghan War mods. So far though, I'm really enjoying it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18