Looking for a Groghammer sub on well-developed Ulm position

Started by JasonPratt, July 11, 2013, 03:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

The original Ulm player had to leave the game early for real-life reasons, and having been the first player eliminated myself I was glad to pick up the reins.

However, I'm getting increasingly full of Dom3 for a while, and would like to spend my free time on other games.

So, I'm offering up Ulm here on the Groghammer game. We still have 12 nations in play (although a couple may be small AIs from defeated players that just haven't died yet), and are playing on the map of Faerun. Meta-game alliances have been allowed, including shared victory alliances (or the practical equivalents thereof), and I'm in the middle of several of those of a tenuous interlocking sort: at the moment I have no one to attack but still some indies of my own to clean up.

We're also at the point where we're starting to debate whether it's time to continue on with the SVAs or fragment up the alliances for the various largescale buttkicking. Either one would be fine with me in principle, but again I'm getting tired of Dom3 (this being the 3rd mp game in as many months, most running concurrently).

(I'm also the admin of the game, but I'd probably better keep that unless the sub is someone everyone readily trusts to play fair with their power. I'd still keep up with the thread and make turn-extension requests.)

If anyone has a Desra account (I don't) and would like to post this on the official Dom3 forum, please do so and send them back here.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

parone

maer-

I think he is referring to something which is pretty unique to grogheads.  some folks engage in game long alliances, allowing joint victory.  I may be wrong, but I believe that is what he is referring to.

there has been some debates here about their viability, so maybe that is why they are thinking of busting em up?

JasonPratt

Maer,

The only SVA I know of in effect at the moment is mine with Tien Chi; which is why I described the others (including my others) as tenuous and fragmentive. ;)

As it is, over the last day or so the question has come up whether we will solidify our various alliances more firmly and bloc up, or if the time has come to cancel all alliances and clear out from there. The general thrust seems to be to go all vs all from here on out; probably because no one has allied any stronger than an occasional mutual defense pact (except for TC and I; and I don't know how long we were going to stay teamed up.) This wasn't something I knew for sure until after I started the thread, so for all I knew there were other shared victory alliances in effect. (I still haven't heard from some of the players, so for all I know it's only the people who aren't in one who are now voting to switch to all vs all. ;) But I suspect there are no other SVAs.)

So if you take over it'll be you vs everyone else vs everyone else. Possibly TC will stay allied, but if so we will surely be the first to be mobbed by everyone around us -- it will probably be relatively safer not to keep the SVA going.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Maerlande

Oh I see.

We've usually been very harsh on permanent alliances on the other boards.  Although the reasons are based on secrecy and pre-game agreements.  That is a bit cheesy in my view since you end up wondering why a pair of players refuse to do any diplomacy.

On the other hand, if you've set up such a structure at game start I see nothing wrong with it.  Much like a team game but where you form the teams after game start.  At least that's how it seems to me.  I really enjoy team games but the ones I've played in have been massive work.  At least, that's how what you've said seems to me.

I don't know if I can sub yet.  I'm trying to avoid overload and my last sub job was a fair nasty train wreck.  Have you made a mess of things JasonPratt??  :)  It sounds like a big no to me and that's cool.  I've had some pretty rough experiences subbing in the past.

Huw the Poo

JasonPratt

Lol!

If we go to an all vs all fight, I'll need to consolidate my positions very quickly, as a good 80% of my territory is exposed to an ocean player, whom as Ulm I'm not in much position to assault or counter-attack. Any ocean player taking advantage of a prior climate of alliances will be hard to play against (which is why I tried to have all ocean players banned from all alliances at the start of the game, including myself as Oceania; but the players voted otherwise.  :P ) Developing a set of core lands and keeping him down from the beginning as much as possible would have been my preference, as he would have been my closest, most dangerous and thus number one enemy.

The coming furball will certainly be interesting...

elitesix

We're basically finalizing changing the victory conditions from shared victory alliance to one nation takes all. So far, none of the players have objected for days.

July 14 is when it will officially change.