Canada Pulls Out of NATO Project

Started by MIGMaster, February 10, 2012, 07:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

I'm having a hard time trying to determine if we are actually following a strategy to create a more streamlined and focused military or if Harper is just approving/disapproving things in some arbitrary fashion? Hopefully the former....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/02/09/pol-canada-nato-alliance-ground-surveillance.html

LongBlade

QuoteBut it's now seen as a legacy project that's not affordable because of global economic conditions and Canada faced with having to make decisions over where to spend its defence budget.

This sounds about right. Never underestimate the ability of the US to spend money on a 20 year old project that has been superseded by better technology...and us not stop the program. It's probably so small that no one but they guys employed on it even know it exists.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

QuoteThe program, with its main operating base in Italy, would have cost Canada up to $450 million over 20 years for acquisition and in-service support. But it's now seen as a legacy project that's not affordable because of global economic conditions and Canada faced with having to make decisions over where to spend its defence budget.

I'd wager that if the main operating base was in Calgary, we'd still be good to go!
Any time is a good time for pie.

MIGMaster

Windigo

say the bitter bastards who reaped in the navy aquisition program..... can't get/keep it all men.

and FYI its Edmonton, not Calgary, that won the CFB lotto
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

MIGMaster

Windigo

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 10, 2012, 09:53:00 AM
And the West fies back !  ;)

I still want to retire out there.... by a river so I can fish 365 days of the year for all the interesting fish you got.... like mackeral, shad, salmon, etc., etc..
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.