Campaign Series Vietnam

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 15, 2021, 05:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Petho

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2022, 02:21:54 AM
One other point I'd like to make...I wish there was more visual material in the game. Like photos of units and vehicles in the unit handbook or photographic or artistic unit cards on the sidebar.  Sort of like what you see in the other Tiller titles.

This would be awesome, we are mostly concerned about copyright and other legal issues, so things like this wasn't included.

Campaign Series Middle East 1948-1985 : v3.00 coming 2024

Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1967 : v1.30 released April 26, 2023

Campaign Series Cold War 1948-1985 : v1.00 coming 202?

Jason Petho

Quote from: devoncop on January 22, 2022, 02:55:27 AM
Edit : Thanks to the tip I JUST managed a major victory...exactly 600 points which was the minimum for a major on the last turn. Managed to take out the HQ,some supplies and some river craft....It is a fine scenario.

YAY! Glad you won that one!

Jason Petho

Quote from: Tripoli on January 22, 2022, 08:20:52 AM
Here's a question/possible way of looking at the vague victory conditions: Could this be considered "mission analysis"?  In Real Life, mission analysis from the perspective is 2 levels higher.  Therefore, a company commander should be focused on what he needs to do from the perspective of the brigade commander.  So when the mission says to secure an area, the nature of the war in Vietnam (with NVA/VC re-infiltrating an area) means that an implied task is also also destroy supply caches.  While doing this is semi-realistic, it would have to be spelled out early in the game that the player would have to do mission analysis and provide some training (in game) on how to do it.

Yes, that's kind of what I was thinking. Good idea. I do know that the SMEAC's do provide some additional clarity in other scenarios.

Jason Petho

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2022, 08:31:13 AM

I want clear for the record that I'm not complaining, not in the least. This is a fantastic wargame that fills a large void in the genre in a thoughtful and enjoyable way. You guys have outdone yourselves with everything across the board. In fact, if the game wasn't so good, I wouldn't even be posting my thoughts, which are all intended to be constructive. I hope it is coming across that way.

I agree with Devoncop. You've got to read the briefing and you must do so carefully. I had indeed forgotten over the course of the mission that there was likely an HQ unit and supply cache somewhere in the AO. However, I think this is only partially my fault, as per my prior posts, this aspect of the mission was not emphasized in a meaningful way.

But yes, I appreciate the point that in this war taking ground and holding it is typically not the prime objective. Finding the enemy, pining him and eliminating him together with his leadership and ability to fight may often times be the overriding consideration.

Yes, it is taken to heart and we're listening closely! We really appreciate all the feedback, good, bad, ugly. It is what helps us improve the game even more!

Thank you so much for the support and thoughts!!

Tripoli

Quote from: Jason Petho on January 22, 2022, 11:29:29 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2022, 02:21:54 AM
One other point I'd like to make...I wish there was more visual material in the game. Like photos of units and vehicles in the unit handbook or photographic or artistic unit cards on the sidebar.  Sort of like what you see in the other Tiller titles.

This would be awesome, we are mostly concerned about copyright and other legal issues, so things like this wasn't included.

Possibly consider putting in code to let the modders create an image pack(s)?  That would avoid any copyright issue, but allow images in the game.  IMHO, for tactical game like this, images add a lot of "vibe" to a scenario.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Crossroads

Quote from: Tripoli on January 22, 2022, 11:54:28 AM

Possibly consider putting in code to let the modders create an image pack(s)?  That would avoid any copyright issue, but allow images in the game.  IMHO, for tactical game like this, images add a lot of "vibe" to a scenario.

This is already possible, and we have some cool Unit Picture community mods for Middle East game already. See the Unit Picture Mods by Ian / Hoplite1963 in the mods forum for instance.

He hinted starting a similar project for Vietnam as well, fingers crossed! I agree these very much are worth the effort and add immersion.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Tripoli

Quote from: Crossroads on January 22, 2022, 11:59:00 AM
Quote from: Tripoli on January 22, 2022, 11:54:28 AM

This is already possible, and we have some cool Unit Picture community mods for Middle East game already. See the Unit Picture Mods by Ian / Hoplite1963 in the mods forum for instance.

He hinted starting a similar project for Vietnam as well, fingers crossed! I agree these very much are worth the effort and add immersion.

Thanks.  I was unaware of that functionality.   O0
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Crossroads

We've tried to keep the game as modder friendly as possible as a principle, up to a point that the game data files come in encrypted and plain-text versions.

For any H2H play mode, the game uses encrypted data, while for any vs-computer play mode, plain text it is. Those can be edited wholly if some one so wishes. And knows what he is doing.

I wrote a bunch of modder Dev Diaries at the time Middle East came out, they are still relevant for most part.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

berto

CSVN UPDATE v1.10 available here:

https://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/CampaignSeriesVietnam/CampaignSeriesVietnam-UpdateComp-v1.10.00.zip

1.1.1 Errata
No errata for 1.10

17.1.2 Enhancements
Improved Highlighting of selected unit in Unit List.
Changed and increased font for numbers in the Unit List.
Implemented Display à Hex Jump for map, scn editors and in game (ALT + X).
Updated Scrolling Options and Screen Edge default.
Added new assault sounds to enhance play.
Added new combat and assault graphics with much more variation.
Added aircraft ordnance indicators to quickly identify ordnance loads in CAS dialog.
Airstrikes are centered on the map when they arrive.
Added "Ambush" feature where 0 Assault value units will potentially suffer losses or eliminations if attempting to perform an assault.
Implemented Separate Side A and Side B Objective Points displays in Victory dialog.
Implemented ability for selecting unit in the Organization dialog to find a unit on the map.
Implemented cycle through currently selected/highlighted company using Next.
Implemented Option for centering map on combat area.
Implemented Option à Center on Action to recenter the map to where combat occurs
Implemented TrackID Jump (ALT + K) to find and select a unit by its TrackID
PBEM: With Enhanced Reporting ON, no dialogs are displaying during replay. With Enhanced Reporting OFF, dialogs will display with full details.
Helicopters flying Nap of the Earth at night have an increased movement cost over day time flight

17.1.3 Fixes
Fixed bug allowing unrestricted helicopter transport load if at LZ.
Fix bug triggering indiscriminate op-fire directed at Civilians (when in same hex).
Fixed Line of Sight issue in some situations.
Fixed Fog of War unit reveal issues in some situations.
Updated sounds to streamline play.
Removed odd sound files for assaults.
Fixed reconnaissance by assault issue.
Fixed several airstrike issues: where airstrikes never happen, where "authorized denied" airstrikes might mistakenly remove an aircraft from the availability pool; where bogus airstrikes might be assigned; where MultiStrike aircraft might be confined to a single strike.
Fixed issue where sometimes the Toggle Display of Units (hotkey K) would break.
Fixed commando flagged units being unable to scale cliffs.
Removed ability for the AI to conduct any form of friendly fire.
Removed ability for loaded unit to load onto another unit.
Fixed a movement cost bug.
Fixed other minor bugs and made code improvements.
Fixed issue where underground units were occasionally impacted by above ground fire
Fixed text overrun in Scenario Information dialog for the A Week In scenarios with multi-day visibility.
Fixed a PBEM bug where Side B could not start the scenario if it was a Side B starting scenario.

17.1.4 Graphics
Updated Ontos graphic when moving over full hex bridge.
Added SA-2 PAVN graphics.
Options à Elevation Delta default changed from 3 to 1.

17.1.5 Data
On-map AC Gunships revised stats to be direct fire, not indirect fire
Revised US Army ATG units in mid-60's with Scorpion.
Added SA-2 to PAVN and associated org files.
Added SA-2 to China and associated org files.
Replaced NVA RPG2 with VC RPG2 where appropriate.
Updated weapon values for M60A3.
Updated unittext with new units above.
Added additional organizations to the US OOB's at the Brigade, Division, Corps and Army level.
Updated Cambodian Leader to be able to load.
Updated US and ARVN Jeep w/MG graphics when loaded.
Added ARVN Rice Cache, District Leader, Local Leader
Added VC Rice Cache, District Leader, Local Leader

17.1.6 Scenarios
Fixed Map Labels in Bootcamp 4
Fixed Map Labels in Ap Bac 67
Adjusted Scripting in Bootcamp 4 to correct messaging error
Adjusted Scripting in Tu Vu for more variety
Adjusted Scripting in Giong Dinh for more variety
Adjusted Scripting for Mao Khe to make VM mine aware
Adjusted Scripting in Ben Tre Rebellion to correct ferry error
Added Construction Engineers/Dozers in Into the Hills and other tweaks
Updated Scripting A Week in Mekong
Updated reinforcements for Street Without Joy
Updated Scripting/Scenario A Week in Binh Long
Updated Scripting/Scenario Saigon 55
Updated Scripting/Scenario Long Walk Home
Adjusted many scenario/org files to replace NVA with VC RPG2

17.1.7 Mods
3D – US M35 and Huey Mod for different visuals
2D – Boardgame Vibe Mod

17.1.8 Manual
Added abbreviation list of Map Hints
Added new menu items where appropriate
Revised Scrolling section of manual
Revised other sections, adding additional details
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Crossroads

Thanks to everyone for your comments and feedback  :bd:

Jason Petho

The 1.11 UPDATE is available here:

https://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/CampaignSeriesVietnam/CampaignSeriesVietnam-UpdateComp-v1.11.00.zip

Errata
• No errata for 1.11

Enhancements
• Implemented Help →Unit Handbook (Passenger) (ALT + F2) to reveal stats of passenger.
• Implemented Higher Organization Highlight (select and press CTRL) in the scenario editor.
• Implemented dialog windows minimize, maximize and restore for many of the larger dialogs.

Fixes
• Damage Results dialog will no longer display "Unknown effects vs unknown units" when direct firing at a hex with hidden units
• Fixed PBEM replay issue where in some cases FOW was inactive.
• Fixed additional FOW unit reveal bug.
• Fixed Fog of War unit reveal issues in some situations.
• Fixed a ford crossing bug
• Fixed bug when starting scenario via File (new or open), where the Lua values were not being reset probably. (Non-issue if exiting to the front end and starting from there)

Graphics
• Fixed several unit display artifacts.
• Fixed 3D stone wall disappearing in water
• Cleaned up some game engine and scenario editor dialog display issues
• Updated various unit heavy weapon graphics for ARVN

Data
• Updated flags for Crewed Boats for Nation ID's 10, 12, 49 and 50
• Revised movement values in Scrub and Paths for infantry
• Added additional/new background sounds
• Updated csluachk.pl file with additional functionality for checking Lua files

Scenarios
• Adjusted Scripting for ALL scenarios to remedy issue with PBEM play
• Adjusted Scripting for A Week In scenarios to provide warnings for correct laagering
• Added new scenario for PBEM play: XP_671231_PBEM_Set_A01
• Added new scenario for PBEM play: XP_671231_PBEM_Set_A02
• Added new scenario for PBEM play: XP_671231_PBEM_Set_A03
• Added new scenario for PBEM play: XP_671231_PBEM_Set_B01
• Adjusted Scripting for ALL scenarios to use updated aircraft allotment model
• Continued filling in black areas of DMZ master map

Mods
• No new mods for 1.11

Manual
• Update Log for 1.11

Jason Petho

It should be noted that the 1.11 UPDATE is not backwards compatible due to to game engine updates and many lua file updates.

It is highly recommended to finish any ongoing games that you have BEFORE updating.

Jason Petho

Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1967 is currently on sale for 30% off.

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/campaign-series-vietnam

You can see some of the latest game play here:

JasonPratt

I've done my part!  :D <:-)

(I mean shortly after release.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jason Petho

Thank you for the support, Jason!