The Forgotten Battle. New movie about the Scheldt Estuary

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, September 14, 2021, 11:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Looks like it's a Dutch film.  Here's hoping the Canadians get some love.  Nasty fight in terrible terrain that doesn't get much coverage even in Canada.

Pete Dero

Looks like this one was released in 2020.

The Dutch are my neighbors but I never heard of this movie before.  It does have decent ratings on IMDB (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10521092/).
It is a real Dutch film.  Not a bunch of Americans pretending to speak Dutch  ;).

The last two years were terrible times to release movies ...

Uberhaus

1944 pattern helmets!
The Dutch love us.
Looks like they'll show the Canadians fighting in the Scheldt as well as Market-Garden.

z1812

Destraex

Lets hope its not woke. Its not a pure war movie is it? Would not be surprised if it was not more a story of dutch resistance fighters. Which would be fine, everybody who fought deserves recognition. But I am sure most of us wish their were more war movies and less drama movies about whatever tiny niche they can find these days.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Pete Dero

https://www.netflix.com/title/81166791

I just got a mail the movie is released today in Belgium.

But maybe Netflix has regional release dates.

Grim.Reaper

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Zulu1966

Seen it. Its ok. Not really about the battle more a composite tale of different people. Has a suitably gritty feel to it - the final battle scene is poor in conveying any sense of scale.

Go into it expecting a band of brothers and you will be disappointed - but as a tale of war it is fine.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Zulu1966 on October 16, 2021, 03:35:21 AM
Seen it. Its ok. Not really about the battle more a composite tale of different people. Has a suitably gritty feel to it - the final battle scene is poor in conveying any sense of scale.

Go into it expecting a band of brothers and you will be disappointed - but as a tale of war it is fine.

This movie is made in the Netherlands with a budget of around 14 million euro (the larger part spend on the final battle scene !).

With those budgets we (Belgium & the Netherlands) never can compete with those larger than life action movies, so we tend to focus more on human stories during the war.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 16, 2021, 04:59:26 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on October 16, 2021, 03:35:21 AM

This movie is made in the Netherlands with a budget of around 14 million euro (the larger part spend on the final battle scene !).

With those budgets we (Belgium & the Netherlands) never can compete with those larger than life action movies, so we tend to focus more on human stories during the war.

Yes - and I enjoyed it. It was a good film - not bad by any means. I was maybe a bit too unenthusiastic with the "OK" ... Well worth watching in my view.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

rocketman

Not much about the battle of the Scheldt if you go by the official dates, rather it takes place during Market Garden  :o
I was disappointed. Acting is so and so. It has an authentic period feel which is good. No amphibious landings. No sense of scale of the campaign.

Pete Dero

Quote from: rocketman on October 16, 2021, 09:45:38 AM
Not much about the battle of the Scheldt if you go by the official dates, rather it takes place during Market Garden  :o

On September 17, a British and two American airborne divisions, together with a Polish brigade, landed behind the German lines at Eindhoven, Nijmegen and Arnhem. These landings started Operation Market Garden.

On September 21, the Canadian 4th Panzer Division moved north, roughly along the Ghent - Terneuzen line. It had the task of clearing the so-called "Breskens pocket", an area around Breskens that was still in German hands. The Polish 1st Armored Division moved further east to the Belgian-Dutch border for the crucial area north of Antwerp. This is the start of the Battle of the Scheldt.

So the two actually partially coincide.

rocketman

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 16, 2021, 10:54:43 AM
Quote from: rocketman on October 16, 2021, 09:45:38 AM

On September 17, a British and two American airborne divisions, together with a Polish brigade, landed behind the German lines at Eindhoven, Nijmegen and Arnhem. These landings started Operation Market Garden.

On September 21, the Canadian 4th Panzer Division moved north, roughly along the Ghent - Terneuzen line. It had the task of clearing the so-called "Breskens pocket", an area around Breskens that was still in German hands. The Polish 1st Armored Division moved further east to the Belgian-Dutch border for the crucial area north of Antwerp. This is the start of the Battle of the Scheldt.

So the two actually partially coincide.

Wikipedia puts it at Oct 2 to Nov 8:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Scheldt
Maybe the start date is fluid, but my expectation of the movie was on the campaign and that the main units would be amphibious landings, commandos and so on and not a glider plane (curiously with only two passangers aside two pilots).

Destraex

I did not enjoy this. It was plodding, slow, poorly acted and I ended up fast forwarding to the end. Nothing to see here.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"