General Staff: Release in 2022

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 21, 2022, 03:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Been keeping my eye on this one as I like the style, seems their optimistic to release in 2022.  But they are switching the development language (to Unity) at this point, hoping that doesn't introduce any major surprises that impacts its release.  So I will cautiously remain optimistic even though in the back of mind I suspect it may take longer for one reason or another:)

https://www.general-staff.com/general-staff-will-ship-in-2022/?fbclid=IwAR2_RQQbf8Hp_3KhvKUtDuOPlBK0tcc0H7lIYcD9iOQttaJgG7zvvvpZwFE

Redwolf

"Because Unity is designed to facilitate the creation of computer games, this move will greatly accelerate the completion of the General Staff Game Engine"

LOL

That's not how changing engines mid-run works.

Grim.Reaper

Hence me being a skeptic:). But still want it

al_infierno

QuoteWhat they accomplished visually with Grand Tactician was precisely the look and feel that I wanted for General Staff

QuoteI'm talking about the typography and the UI, not thousands of tiny 3D soldiers on the battlefield; which look really great, but, General Staff is not that kind of a wargame.

I'm certainly not a programmer, let alone a game developer or someone familiar with the ins and outs of this particular project, but was an engine change really necessary to get a specific UI and typography aesthetic?   Or was that just sort of a nice bonus to Unity being easier to use? 

My understanding is that Unity is compatible with C# (the language they've been using) so I wouldn't anticipate this to be a huge impediment to progress, especially if the dev team is confident that it will ultimately save time once the painful transition is complete.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Sure c# is compatible with unity but wpf is different from user interface standpoint, actually surprised they ever thought that might work since more business application oriented.  I hope they do well and make it, fingers crossed

Redwolf

C# is just a scripting language for Unity. You do the heavy lifting in C++.

spelk

I've backed this on Kickstarter from the early days and its been in development for quite some time. I'm hoping it will come to fruition... I don't remember seeing a development post about change of engine, but I'm still optimistic for it and if they manage to get it onto Unity, it is more likely to work under Linux as well as Windows, so ~fingers crossed~

Grim.Reaper

New video.....another game waiting for