Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteDamage to the port side and helicopter hangar of the destroyer HMS GLAMORGAN caused by an Argentine MM.40 land based Exocet missile. The missile was launched from a mobile launcher near Port Stanley, some 18 miles away, on 12 June 1982. Radar systems failed to detect the missile but in the few seconds available after making visual contact, GLAMORGAN was able to turn rapidly and the missile struck the hangar instead of the Ship's side. Thirteen lives were lost but the damage failed to put GLAMORGAN out of action, making her the first British warship to survive an Exocet missile strike.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jejo68

Our navys newest pride and joy.

mirth

JMSDF Kongō (DDG-173) along with a host of Japanese and US ships

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteRemoving the guns from 3 & 4 turrets of USS Arizona

QuoteThe Arizona (BB-39) after turrets were determined to be salvageable after her sinking. The Army in 1943 intended to incorporate these turrets into the costal defense of Hawaii. Named Batteries Pennsylvania and Arizona, they were to be placed on the tip of Mokapu Peninsula, to cover the eastern portions of Oahu, and on Kahe Point, to cover the south and west, respectively. Only battery Pennsylvania was completed and it was test fired on V-J day when it instantly became obsolete.

QuoteBattery Pennsylvania test firing on VJ Day

mirth

QuoteF-14D Tomcats staged in launch position to depart USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) for home port NAS Oceana. March, 2006.

mirth

Comparison of stealth warship hulls

mirth

QuoteUSS Mobile Bay (CG 53) operates in the Persian Gulf, Sept. 20, 2011

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on July 01, 2015, 11:22:43 AM

Looks like the Zumwalt and Visby got it goin' on in the stealth dept. All that radar-reflective crap festooned over the others must inflate their returns notably.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: mirth on July 01, 2015, 11:22:43 AM

Im not sure if the ships heights are accurate.  the Zumwalt it a tall ship.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

HMCS Victoria returns home from operations with the U.S. Navy in February. Note the total lack of fire  O0

Staggerwing

Must be all the heat resistant tiles...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

QuoteHMS Duncan working alongside the USS Theodore Roosevelt and USS Paul Hamilton during strike missions on ISIL

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2015/july/07/150707-duncan-joins-us-carrier-on-operations

mirth

USS Idaho (BB-42)

mirth

Admiral Kuznetsov

Staggerwing

Is that just before the USS Boise put a couple of Mk48s into Kuznetsov and sent her down into the icy North Atlantic deep?