No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hofstadter

My husband and i have been watching two seperate streams ever since they started, we havnt seen anything new
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

panzerde

Quote from: Gusington on August 09, 2016, 09:00:59 PM
IIRC it's out on PS4 today.

Yep. My son bought it, said he'd rather play it on his PS4 than PC. I suspect that's because he has it hooked up to a big TV at the end of his bed and he can lounge in bed and play.

In any case, he said he was enjoying it.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

MikeGER

i watched a few early starter lets plays with patch 1.03 PS4 version
and it looks interesting ...in an artistic way of a kind of psychedelic approach of contemporary video artist work.  :)

but while you marble at the procedural generated Eco systems you should never ask yourself (same as with modern arts  ;) ) ...WHY?
(how did this evolve into that on that world, how did that thing survive a single day, why is that there, who's feeding on whom,  and are there no laws of physics or Darvin in play...)     

to transpose that NMS impression into our grognardish wargamers universe:
Just imagine there would be a procedural generated map and opposing force generator ARMA III-mod

first map: its in the Arctic, as OPFOR you encounter an almost NSFW naked stoneage man, who dons class4 nightvision goggles in the daylight and riding through the snowy landscape on a Segway armed with his authentic hand axe...

shuffle

second map: its in the dessert, as OPFOR you see a soldier low crawl in a jungle Ghillie suit but peeking out are large Hobbit feet instead of boots and also wears a bearskin. He is only armed with a broadsword were for some unknown reason of improvement a laser sight was glued on, what?...

shuffle

third map: its called "Water loo" and look topographical exactly like the wellknown place in Belgium, but comes with mixture of pine trees and large Saguaro strewn in. Here the OPFOR standing in a square are soldiers in scuba suits and all dragging an opened parachute behind and wear Stetsons while busy reloading their pink coated black powder muzzleloaders... 
you can walk around and find a tend and meet an odd solitarily alien named Napoléon, who offer you a AR 15 for a handful of blueberries from the bushes just outside, but you cant understand a single word and so you move on ...he speaks French! ;-)

sure its fun to discover all the alternations, but how long does such looking into a kafkaesk kaleidoscope of surreality last, dunno

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on August 10, 2016, 06:36:22 AM
Two players claimed that they are in the same spot but couldn't see each other...
http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-multiplayer/?utm_content=bufferd6a3f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

This is totally irrelevant to me, and I suspect a lot of other players, since I never wanted this game to be a MMO anyway.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

Yeah, I much rather play offline in my own soloverse.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grimnirsson

I have been skeptical from the beginning and so I never jumped on the fast driving hype train, but I at least had some hope so after watching streams, reading first impressions etc. I bought it today at launch day via the PS store. I can make this short: this is my game, this is what I wanted, this is my sci-fi dream since I was a kid - now it's not a dream anymore. And they will add even more features and all for free, so no overpaid DLCs, no microtransaction BS...  :smitten:
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

I'm wondering if there is any reason to have it on the PS4 and the PC...I'd love to treat myself and play early on the PS4 while I'm waiting for the PC release...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 10, 2016, 01:00:14 PM
I'm wondering if there is any reason to have it on the PS4 and the PC...I'd love to treat myself and play early on the PS4 while I'm waiting for the PC release...

Doubt it.
I'd say pick one platform and stick with it (probably PC).

weateallthepies

I picked it up on PS4, managed to get a good price with some vouchers and stuff.

So far I'm really enjoying it. Love the seamless transition from space to surface. Just a lovely game to get lost in, though it'll take some time to see if it keeps me hooked once the novelty has worn off. I love open world, exploration kind of gaming and since I do odd stuff like solo roleplaying this sort of thing is just made for me. I'm happy to fly around creating my own stories so I think I'll be playing for some time yet.

Oh and I patted some weird looking alien on the head. He didn't seem to like it much.

bob48

...well, I hope you gave your hands a good wash afterwards, you never know what strange alien bugs you may pick up. So if your legs turn green and drop off, don't come running to me for sympathy.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Rekim

I hope it plays nicely with my steam controller.  Looks like it could be the perfect game for play on the couch + big screen.

glen55

Quote from: MikeGER on August 10, 2016, 02:07:55 AM
i watched a few early starter lets plays with patch 1.03 PS4 version
and it looks interesting ...in an artistic way of a kind of psychedelic approach of contemporary video artist work.  :)

but while you marble at the procedural generated Eco systems you should never ask yourself (same as with modern arts  ;) ) ...WHY?
(how did this evolve into that on that world, how did that thing survive a single day, why is that there, who's feeding on whom,  and are there no laws of physics or Darvin in play...)     

to transpose that NMS impression into our grognardish wargamers universe:
Just imagine there would be a procedural generated map and opposing force generator ARMA III-mod

first map: its in the Arctic, as OPFOR you encounter an almost NSFW naked stoneage man, who dons class4 nightvision goggles in the daylight and riding through the snowy landscape on a Segway armed with his authentic hand axe...

shuffle

second map: its in the dessert, as OPFOR you see a soldier low crawl in a jungle Ghillie suit but peeking out are large Hobbit feet instead of boots and also wears a bearskin. He is only armed with a broadsword were for some unknown reason of improvement a laser sight was glued on, what?...

shuffle

third map: its called "Water loo" and look topographical exactly like the wellknown place in Belgium, but comes with mixture of pine trees and large Saguaro strewn in. Here the OPFOR standing in a square are soldiers in scuba suits and all dragging an opened parachute behind and wear Stetsons while busy reloading their pink coated black powder muzzleloaders... 
you can walk around and find a tend and meet an odd solitarily alien named Napoléon, who offer you a AR 15 for a handful of blueberries from the bushes just outside, but you cant understand a single w ord and so you move on ...he speaks French! ;-)

sure its fun to discover all the alternations, but how long does such looking into a kafkaesk kaleidoscope of surreality last, dunno

Is this really true, that you find tech levels mixed together randomly on planets? I mean, I can certainly see how other species would not advance everything at the same pace that we do, so some things would be ahead, some behind, but you do need certain predicates for certain results, so this would wear thin extremely rapidly if it's nonsensical like this.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

undercovergeek

How can so little be understood about what is possibly the most anticipated game of the year?