Deity Empires on Sale at Steam

Started by airboy, May 13, 2019, 04:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Quote from: Rayfer on May 16, 2019, 09:03:34 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on May 16, 2019, 09:00:22 AM
Great post Tanaka!  I learned some things about the game through your review that I wasn't aware of as I'm only 95 minutes of play time into the game. 

Deity Empires rocks and if TBS fantasy setting is your bag then this game is for you.

I love/hate you guys.  I was committed to purchasing nothing until Field of Glory: Empires comes out.  And now this game pops up out of nowhere.  My resolve has serous cracks but hasn't yet crumbles.  :hide:

Sale....you are missing a sale.....
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Pete Dero

Quote from: solops on May 16, 2019, 11:20:53 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on May 16, 2019, 09:03:34 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on May 16, 2019, 09:00:22 AM
Great post Tanaka!  I learned some things about the game through your review that I wasn't aware of as I'm only 95 minutes of play time into the game. 

Deity Empires rocks and if TBS fantasy setting is your bag then this game is for you.

I love/hate you guys.  I was committed to purchasing nothing until Field of Glory: Empires comes out.  And now this game pops up out of nowhere.  My resolve has serous cracks but hasn't yet crumbles.  :hide:

Steam Summer Sale 2019 date leaked as per tradition, it will begin on June 25, 2019 at 10AM PST and will last for two weeks.

Sale....you are missing a sale.....

Tanaka

Quote from: DennisS on May 16, 2019, 09:34:18 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 14, 2019, 04:21:09 PM
How many different races and/or empires are there? Can you customize an empire?

There are three different types of deities...good, neutral, and evil. Good deities have humies, dwarfs, and elves. Evil deities have orcs, blood elves, and someone else. Not sure what three races the neutral deity has.

So..nine races. Like Master of Magic, you're given a pool of points to spend. Either to buy spellbooks at 2 points each, or a rather large number of skills, at 1 to 10 points.

For my first game, I used a "good" deity, with elves. Took two books of nature magic. with 21 points (out of 25) remaining, I took Nature Mastery for 5, Merchant for 5, Artificer (to created magic items!) for 5, Battle caster for 5, and level 1 of "Rich" for a point.

There is an infinite combination of skills. I should have taken administrator and road building, to go along with merchant. I like enormous empires.

Correct. The neutral races are the Northmen, Grey Gnomes, and Lizardmen. And they just added a Necromancer pick that is really cool. Also one of the reviews I posted above they wished for more music and for the units in game having a zone of control and that all has just been added as well. Pretty much ask for it or talk about it and the Devs respond. Never been so impressed!

Tanaka

Thanks guys! I'm telling you I hardly ever recommend a game publicly like this but this one for $15 is a hidden gem steal. Get it now you will not regret it. Believe me once you start playing it is so deep you will have a million questions but check out the help file in game and the steam forums and you will find answers. Also here are some really good newb tips:

A few things I wish I'd known when I started playing this game
When your deity is materialized (as a unit operating in the game world) their spell power is the spell power number you see on the unit page and can be improved by leveling up. However, when they are dead (etherialized), then their spell power is determined solely by how many spells they have researched in a spell tree (fire, arcane, nature, etc.). You can see that info on the Deity tab at the top. To improve your etherialized deity's spell power in a spell tree, learn more spells. To improve your materialized deity's spell power, level up.

The amount of resources and gold you get in the game from your cities depends on population. The more population you have, the more city workers you get to work the city hexes.

Every time your city grows another 1000 population, you can build another civic structure there. The number of buildings you can build in your city depends entirely on how much population it has.

Population growth rate depends on enough enough excess food being grown your cities. For that reason, at the start of the game your engineer should concentrate on building farms around your city.

After you build improvements (like farms) with your engineer you can then improve them in up to 2 different ways. Some improvements have levels (like mana farms) that go from 1 to 5 or 1 to 10. After building the initial improvement for 500 gold, you can then level it up but each level you build costs more.

The second way to improve them is to build roads on the improvement. This needs to be done for farms because your farms initially don't have levels like some other improvements do until you first research the appropriate civic technology and then you can level up farms as well. Once you build a road, you can widen/improve the road by building a road again on the same hex at a higher cost. Each time you build a road on a hex, you increase the number of city workers that can work that hex. THIS IS HUGE. I really wish I'd figured this out sooner as it is the key to expanding your city. Build lots of roads on farms.

The first civic structures you should build in your town are the production structures. They allow you to build following stuff faster.

Building stuff in town requires both production and resources. At first the resources your town gets per turn will be lower than your production per turn so your build speed will be capped by that.

When your units fight critters in outdoor lairs and dungeons, they get food and resources afterwards. They can only carry so much so when they get full, you need to go to the nearest city and transfer it to the city's resource and food warehouses. If that city has less resources than production per turn, then it can pull from the warehouse you just filled to max out production speed until the warehouse is empty. There are civic buildings to increase the size of warehouses.

You can build a supply wagon unit and take it with you to dungeons and lairs. When your units get full you can dump the food and resources into the supply wagon and then send it back to town to unload.
-----------

These are the mods I recommend:

Sparhawk

I did not have this game on my radar at all. After reading the steam reviews a couple of days ago there was no way I wouldn't get it. Deity Empires is right up my alley. I've got some momentum going on a Gothic 3 play through that I'm loath to pause for fear I may be gone to long and need to start over. My desire for depth and immersion in a game is driving me to download this though. I can't get enough of deep 4x  games.

Skwerl

I downloaded this last night and played a couple of hours.  Don't be put off by the "rudimentary" graphics.   You will completely forget about them after the first 15 minutes of play.  So far, the gameplay has been great.  It does have quite a bit of a learning curve but not one that's overwhelming.  Very highly recommended!

devoncop

Quote from: Skwerl on May 17, 2019, 09:27:15 AM
I downloaded this last night and played a couple of hours.  Don't be put off by the "rudimentary" graphics.   You will completely forget about them after the first 15 minutes of play.  So far, the gameplay has been great.  It does have quite a bit of a learning curve but not one that's overwhelming.  Very highly recommended!

There is a very smooth running "Improved Map Resolution Mod" and "Improved Unit Resolution  Mod" available on Steam Workshop in case you don't have them. Highly recommended.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Rayfer

Quote from: devoncop on May 17, 2019, 09:33:55 AM
Quote from: Skwerl on May 17, 2019, 09:27:15 AM

There is a very smooth running "Improved Map Resolution Mod" and "Improved Unit Resolution  Mod" available on Steam Workshop in case you don't have them. Highly recommended.

Haven't read the entire thread so sorry if already asked....does it have a tutorial covering the basics?

Huw the Poo

Anyone put off by the basic graphics needs to look no further than Dominions.  Graphics are nice, but they ain't everything.

Rayfer

Couldn't resist...picked it while still on sale on Steam.  It is addictive with that 'just one more turn' feel to it.  Only an hour and a half into my first campaign.  It is a lot like the old Masters of Magic game. I'm still peeling away the layers of depth so I can't make any final conclusions.  But it sure is fun to play.

Steelgrave

You guys wore me down with your logic, so I bought it and added the recommended mods. Haven't fired it up yet but it's #1 on my weekend playlist. A special "Thumbs up" to Tanaka and DennisS for your insights and recommendations  O0 O0

Gusington

Jeez you people are dropping like flies. I will rely on my horrible memory to forget about buying this later.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

You already knew I was easy, Gus.

bobarossa

This game is what I backed Worlds of Magic to get and got nothing in return. Sale ends Monday.  I'm hoping I get the Steam eGift card by then (from writing a positive review of a Seasonic power supply I purchased).  Otherwise, I'll have to use real money on it.

solops

Quote from: bobarossa on May 17, 2019, 04:44:32 PM
This game is what I backed Worlds of Magic to get and got nothing in return.
+1
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin