RIP Richard 'Jaws' Kiel

Started by OJsDad, September 11, 2014, 07:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/james-bond-villain-richard-kiel-dies-at-74-1201303251/

Richard Kiel, who most famously played Jaws in two James Bond films starring Roger Moore, "The Spy Who Loved Me" and "Moonraker," and also appeared in Adam Sandler comedy "Happy Gilmore," died Wednesday afternoon in a hospital in Fresno, Calif., three days shy of his 75th birthday.

TMZ first reported the news.

The actor had broken his leg earlier in the week, but it is not clear whether that contributed to his death.

Kiel had lent his voice to a James Bond videogame in 2003 but more recently had voiced Vlad for the animated film "Tangled" in 2010.

Kiel's villainous Jaws was so popular with movie audiences who saw "The Spy Who Loved Me" that the character was made sympathetic in follow-up  "Moonraker."

Before his appearances in the Bond film in the mid to late '70s, Kiel was perhaps best known for his roles in Burt Reynolds prison football film "The Longest Yard" and for appearing in several episodes of "The Wild Wild West" as an assistant to super-villain Miguelito Loveless (the diminutive Michael Dunn).

Younger audiences knew him best from "Happy Gilmore," in which he played a golf spectator who threatens the villainous Shooter McGavin

Kiel stood 7 feet 1.5 inches tall in his prime. His height and distinctive features were the result of acromegaly, a hormonal condition.

In 1962 the actor played the title role in "Eegah," beloved by fans of extraordinarily bad movies.

The same year Kiel starred "To Serve Man," a classic episode of "Twilight Zone" in which he played Kanamit. A few years later he appeared on "The Monkees."

In the 1970s he continued to appear on television. He was a series regular on the William Shatner-Doug McClure series "Barbary Coast," and he was an evil Native American shapeshifter who terrorizes Darren McGavin's character in "The Night Stalker."

The actor's autobiography, "Making It Big in the Movies," was published in 2002.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Centurion40

RIP.

Saw him signing autographs and posing for photos in Vegas.  The man was huge.
Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

Too bad he was associated with one of the all-time worst Bond flicks (Moonraker); he would've been a much more impressive / scary dude with some better scripts.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

He's also associated with one of the best Bond films, The Spy Who Loved Me. Certainly it's the best of the Roger Moore Bond movies and it's one of my favorites overall.

For the record, although it's not an official Bond film Never Say Never Again is the worst.

bayonetbrant

My favorite Roger Moore flick was For Your Eyes Only.  The Spy Who Loved Me was good, but seemed like they were trying to re-create You Only Live Twice, but underwater instead of in space.  TMMV :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

I had forgotten he was on the old Wild Wild West show. Long time back when Slash was just a little cut.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

I remember him in Happy Gilmore as well.  RIP Mr. Kiel. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

RIP. Man, Jaws was fearsome back when I was a kid.

My favorite was You Only Live Twice.

Kinda liked Moonraker, but even as a kid it was cheesy as hell. They were reaching villain-wise there.

I liked On Her Majesty's Secret Service, too.