Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

It's similar to the Quick Mission generator we all used many times in IL-2 for practise.
It a fun quick way to quickly get engaged and practise combat procedures. Obviously it does not feature any narrative.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=147601
Preliminary changelog has been posted for the v1.5 Open Beta.
The beta itself will come online in the next few hours.

The beta install is a seperate one, so you don't have to worry about your main install going bad with concern to mods and what not.

Highlights, for me, are; DirectX 11 support with performance based on GPU rather than CPU, a unified executable merging the actual sim and the menu/editor parts and this leads to Satellite view in de mission editor!

Hopefully this will finally allow for precise placement of units!
Looking forward to spending some time with it tomorrow.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MengJiao

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 28, 2015, 03:20:54 PM
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=147601
Preliminary changelog has been posted for the v1.5 Open Beta.
The beta itself will come online in the next few hours.

The beta install is a seperate one, so you don't have to worry about your main install going bad with concern to mods and what not.

Highlights, for me, are; DirectX 11 support with performance based on GPU rather than CPU, a unified executable merging the actual sim and the menu/editor parts and this leads to Satellite view in de mission editor!

Hopefully this will finally allow for precise placement of units!
Looking forward to spending some time with it tomorrow.

Is that going to be available on Steam?

Yskonyn

Yes it will.

As for my previous 'next few hours' statement; I misunderstood. The building of the package was commenced in those hours.
Then testing is done (for delivery?) and after its been found in working order it gets pushed out. Probably a few more days. But we are getting close now!

JudgeDredd

I decided (again) to learn an aircraft. So I printed off a startup procedure for the Mig-21, fired up the game and started the beast up, headed to the runway and took off...flew round the valley a bit and quit.

https://youtu.be/tMH0gTJZBZQ

I love the Mig-21. :-)
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

Speaking of jets, I know a few of you had some questions on Falcon flavors.  The quick run-down is this:

Allied Force (AF):  This is the only one you can get "out of the box."  It's a fine game and is very stable.  It still has some dynamic campaign (DC) features the others don't, mostly regarding managing ground assets.  I don't know too much more than that.  Disadvantage is that there is no further development occurring on AF so what you see is what you get.  The 3D pit is not clickable, or not widescreen, or not something that is a real show-stopper for me.  Not even sure if this runs on Win 10 anymore.

Freefalcon (FF):  This is an iteration of the original Falcon.  I was on this dev team for a few years.  The team folded a few years ago shortly after the release of BMS (below) and so development has stopped on it.  Latest version is Freefalcon 6.  It still can be buggy and tempermental.  It has a cleaner database (IMO with nothing to back it up) and so may give you a better experience in some ways than BMS.  It has a lot of additional cockpits so you can fly planes other than the F-16 but they all share the underlying F-16 radar modes and such.  The performance of the jets are different, flying an F-4 feels much different than an F-16, but you still have a F-16 radar suite in the jet.  Additionally, the FF installer is completely free and doesn't require anything else; you just download, install and play.  Period.  No strings attached.  The downside is what you see is what you get and it has been exceeded in most respects by BMS.  It is easier to get into than BMS, but it is still a very hard sim to learn and will require a commitment.

Benchmark Sims (BMS):  The new gold standard of Falcon and still under very active development. It is an iteration of original Falcon and, as such, it requires the original Falcon 4.0 exe to install.  If you own Falcon 4 on disk no problem.  If not you need to acquire the exe somehow.  I understand that there are "ways" to get the exe but I don't know anything about that.  It is the hardest of the 3 versions to learn and strives for realism.  For example, in pre-flight you have to set up your own data cartridge with ground threats, radio frequencies for tower and such, modes for your MFD's, etc.  It's a lot of work.  The graphics are a higher DX than other versions and some of the things modders are accomplishing with the old tiles are pretty amazing.  For a 15+ year old sim it still looks good enough to keep you coming back for more.  The downsides are the very, very steep learning curve and the need to have the old F4 exe.  The upside is that it is still the benchmark for modern flight sims in many respects.

DCS:  If you're reading this you know what DCS is.  This has the best graphics, several high-fidelity aircraft/helos to fly, and is under active development.  It also allows you to play true combined arms warfare with the Combined Arms module.  I'm not sure if anyone in the civilian multiplayer world truly understands the remarkable tools they have with DCS, and how close they can get to "real thing" simulation.  The downside, and this can be huge if it matters to you, is that there is no dynamic campaign engine with DCS.  Arguably this is what makes Falcon 4 still a contender.  DCS feels more like a simulation sandbox than a "game" like BMS...take that as good or bad as you like. 

My recommendation is to have both BMS and DCS co-installed as they both do different things better than the other.  Also, DCS allows you to enjoy the SU-25T for free, so you can get on and blow things up and see what DCS is all about for nothing but some time investment. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

How are the missions for the MiG?  Do they let you go against F16s?

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on September 29, 2015, 08:00:03 PM
How are the missions for the MiG?  Do they let you go against F16s?

I generally make my own (solo) missions in DCS so the MiG-21 can go against anything in DCS in that context.  As it happens, I've only shot down B-52s and helicopters with the MiG21 and that was long ago.  The AI MiG-21s do much better than I do.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on September 29, 2015, 07:14:02 PM
Speaking of jets, I know a few of you had some questions on Falcon flavors.  The quick run-down is this:

Allied Force (AF):  This is the only one you can get "out of the box."  It's a fine game and is very stable.  It still has some dynamic campaign (DC) features the others don't, mostly regarding managing ground assets.  I don't know too much more than that.  Disadvantage is that there is no further development occurring on AF so what you see is what you get.  The 3D pit is not clickable, or not widescreen, or not something that is a real show-stopper for me.  Not even sure if this runs on Win 10 anymore.

Freefalcon (FF):  This is an iteration of the original Falcon.  I was on this dev team for a few years.  The team folded a few years ago shortly after the release of BMS (below) and so development has stopped on it.  Latest version is Freefalcon 6.  It still can be buggy and tempermental.  It has a cleaner database (IMO with nothing to back it up) and so may give you a better experience in some ways than BMS.  It has a lot of additional cockpits so you can fly planes other than the F-16 but they all share the underlying F-16 radar modes and such.  The performance of the jets are different, flying an F-4 feels much different than an F-16, but you still have a F-16 radar suite in the jet.  Additionally, the FF installer is completely free and doesn't require anything else; you just download, install and play.  Period.  No strings attached.  The downside is what you see is what you get and it has been exceeded in most respects by BMS.  It is easier to get into than BMS, but it is still a very hard sim to learn and will require a commitment.

Benchmark Sims (BMS):  The new gold standard of Falcon and still under very active development. It is an iteration of original Falcon and, as such, it requires the original Falcon 4.0 exe to install.  If you own Falcon 4 on disk no problem.  If not you need to acquire the exe somehow.  I understand that there are "ways" to get the exe but I don't know anything about that.  It is the hardest of the 3 versions to learn and strives for realism.  For example, in pre-flight you have to set up your own data cartridge with ground threats, radio frequencies for tower and such, modes for your MFD's, etc.  It's a lot of work.  The graphics are a higher DX than other versions and some of the things modders are accomplishing with the old tiles are pretty amazing.  For a 15+ year old sim it still looks good enough to keep you coming back for more.  The downsides are the very, very steep learning curve and the need to have the old F4 exe.  The upside is that it is still the benchmark for modern flight sims in many respects.

DCS:  If you're reading this you know what DCS is.  This has the best graphics, several high-fidelity aircraft/helos to fly, and is under active development.  It also allows you to play true combined arms warfare with the Combined Arms module.  I'm not sure if anyone in the civilian multiplayer world truly understands the remarkable tools they have with DCS, and how close they can get to "real thing" simulation.  The downside, and this can be huge if it matters to you, is that there is no dynamic campaign engine with DCS.  Arguably this is what makes Falcon 4 still a contender.  DCS feels more like a simulation sandbox than a "game" like BMS...take that as good or bad as you like. 

My recommendation is to have both BMS and DCS co-installed as they both do different things better than the other.  Also, DCS allows you to enjoy the SU-25T for free, so you can get on and blow things up and see what DCS is all about for nothing but some time investment.
Excellent run-down. Thanks for taking the time.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

DCS World 1.5 Beta is out...as is the beta of the L-39C Albatross, a pretty kickass plane in my opinion.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Did you install it yet ?  Wondering if it requires a complete reinstall.

With all the trainers / light attack aircraft in dcs these days you could have a furball  server called "Hawk vs Albatross" like the old "Zeke vs Wildcat" in the original IL2.  You could even throw the c101 in there. 

Jarhead0331

I'm installing now...it seems to be a completely separate install that is kept separate from the release build and has a totally separate .exe.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 01, 2015, 06:16:37 PM
I'm installing now...it seems to be a completely separate install that is kept separate from the release build and has a totally separate .exe.

Somebody mentioned earlier (or in another thread?) that they were keeping the Beta as a separate install, so it doesn't interfere with people doing multi-player on the current release version & such.   O0  Just during beta.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on October 01, 2015, 06:20:43 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 01, 2015, 06:16:37 PM

Somebody mentioned earlier (or in another thread?) that they were keeping the Beta as a separate install, so it doesn't interfere with people doing multi-player on the current release version & such.   O0  Just during beta.

On steam at least, 1.5 wasn't a major problem.  The game looks a lot better.  I feel like it works better too, but this may be due to only
reading the manuals to find out how to do specific things so...

With the Mig21bis and 8 R-60M (8!) I tried to save my little base from a b52 and a S3.  The S3 mangled the missile boat with mavericks and then the missile boat shot down the S3 with its 30mm AA gun.  The B52 was another matter.  I hit it with two R60s and it dumped its bombs.  It still seemed aggressive so I hit it with more missiles and some 23mm cannon fire.  It flew off and landed with some fuel leaks.  I was running out of fuel myself so I landed a few miles from the B52 in case it still had some tricks up its sleeves.

Jarhead0331

Well, Nevada was released today along with the DCS World 2.0 alpha...Toonces?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog