Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 06, 2015, 02:09:49 PM
It was terrain that was appearing blurry - along with the aircraft when F3 (flyby)...so it was depth of view. Turned it off and (thank god) it's gone. Not a good look imo.

Sounds like perhaps their depth of view distances were set way too close. 

I never liked depth of field in most games either.  I can see how a very small amount could help in games like flight sims, for the extremely distant terrain.  But as with some other gfx effects, many developers overdo it.  Remember when they were all cranking Bloom up the wazoo? 

JudgeDredd

DCS needs to have a sale - and soon.

My disc I have BS1 stored on ain't reading  :(

So I need to do what others have done and spring for BS2.

It's pretty bloody annoying (I think someone else mentioned in the thread somewhere) that we have to STILL - after all these years - install BS1 before installing the BS2 upgrade. Why can't I just supply the code at least?

I paid full price for BS1 and I paid a reduced price for the BS2 upgrade. So I've already paid more than what BS2 is (and ever was) - let alone what people have picked it up for in sales.

So it's total BS (lol) and actually, I've almost talked myself out of it there... :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

Most of us have bought the BS2 standalone at this point.

BS1 on disk?  Dude,  you are seriously old skool.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on December 10, 2015, 07:24:34 AM
Most of us have bought the BS2 standalone at this point.

BS1 on disk?  Dude,  you are seriously old skool.
lol - no. The exe is on a disk I burned it to. Damn thing won't read.

I'm not paying $40 (or is it $50) for a game I've already purchased (effectively) twice. I'm happy to wait for a sale.  :coolsmiley:
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Can't you download it from the e-store?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I don't see it anywhere JH. If you've spotted it somewhere, let me know will you pls?

The Downloads section only has this for BS
QuoteUpgrade from DCS: Black Shark 1 to DCS: Black Shark 2
Deprecated version
This product is no longer in stock. It is left here for compatibility only! Requires installed and activated Black Shark 1 standalone version.

It's not under the E-Shop-Modules and it's not under the downloads section - only BS1-BS2 Upgrade and BS2

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Thanks JH for spurring me on to investigate further.

It isn't on their site as it's no longer supplied, but there is a download link for it under my Profile.

The next thing will probably be I've ran out of activations  :buck2:
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Thanks JH - all installed.  O0
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Awesome! Glad you're all set up!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

DoctorQuest

But, alas, now he is too weary to play....... ???
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JudgeDredd

Well after all that palava...there's a new drama.

I bought a new hard drive (got bored with the load times on DCS), so I bought an SSD.

Turns out this is a "significant" change to hardware and requires re-activation. However, it only seems to be asking for Mig-21 re-activation - and worse, it's asked for it twice now, so I've used two activations just by reinstalling DCS World 2 on my new hardware.

There's also terrible issues with installing the modules. It didn't seem to be a problem before, but now it's either getting stuck on "Preparing to torrent..." or "Shutting down torrents"...if it's the latter, it "appears" to have installed the module. However, when I install the next module, I'm told there's xxxMB of files not required, so I remove them, which seems to remove the previously "installed" module.

It's an absolute cluster f*** to be honest and I'm bored shitless with it. Also, watching my activations go down is just bloody downright depressing, so I think I'm just about to bail on the alpha

A bloody hard drive screwing up activations. Nice one DCS!  :knuppel2:

I have ran the "DCS_Updater.exe repair" as discovered on the DCS website.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

What the hell is this?

I didn't know DCS was still using Starforce!
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

IIRC, it's not the same DVD-ROM busting disk check StarForce DRM.  It's their online activation code DRM. 

Which, as you've found out, is still goddamn annoying because it monitors the changes in your hardware in order to flip out and false positive your ass because it thinks you're somehow copying your installation to another computer.   ::)

I'd rather these DRM software companies crash & burn.  StarForce is definitely a prime example of one that should've tanked long ago.  They profit by preying on the fears of developers and annoying their customers' customers in the process.  This is yet another example.  They get paid to cause you such headaches.

JudgeDredd

I'm just having a miserable two weeks. I really am.

I'd actually like to just bugger off and play a board game or make a model, but I get stubborn when shit like this happens and end up wasting my weekend.

I don't expect any help here really - just sounding off. I'm just slightly peeved.  :)
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Well - I'm not going mad... :crazy2:
Dear All,

To find a permanent fix for the erroneous request for activation (regardless of changed hardware) - we are working to implement a fix that eliminates this error.
Unfortunately, this might mean that in 1.5.1 and in one future patch, you may be prompted for one additional activation of your license key. However, do not fret.

To put it bluntly; we will replace your key at any given time should you need it.

If you are low on activations or have completely run out; please send us an e-mail to:
nicholas.dackard@gmail.com and we will work with you to replace your key.

Please try to limit yourselves and only request a change in key if you feel it absolutely necessary to help alleviate our workload.

Additionally, it is important to note that due to this change in the protection system, switching between 1.2.16 and 1.5 will yield a re-activation prompt.
Currently, we recommend that you stick to one version of DCS World until 1.5 is Final.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused,
Alba gu' brath