Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

republic

At the very least, I just wish they'd let me provide them just the key rather than having to install the entire thing for nothing.  They could verify it off my DCS account.

Jarhead0331

For me the biggest issue is that they have multiple systems in early access...Beta 1.5, Alpha 2.0, etc. and each requires a separate install of your modules soaking up precious activations.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm not sure they do require re activating. I don't recall having to reactivate.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 17, 2015, 02:19:19 PM
I'm not 100% on this, but I'm not sure they do require re activating. I don't recall having to reactivate.

What about your activation(s) getting refused?  Did that happen with all versions?  I thought it didn't take on the newer ones?

JudgeDredd

Bloody hell my memory is crap.

From what I remember, the activation issue was purely for the Mig21. I honestly do not remember having any activation boxes popping up when I installed my modules under DCS 2...only the Mig21 which is an issue with that module.

Feel free to check it out elsewhere given how bad my memory is - but I do not remember having to put in any activation codes (apart from the Nevada map).
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

JD, unless you're planning to do some hardcore MP in DCS (with a server that is running the same version of the 3 available as you're running), I don't know why you don't shelve this game and stick with BMS 4.33.  It is superior to DCS is just about every way.  Certainly it is superior for single player.

I keep reading your pain here and shaking my head at why you'd go through all this trouble when, for a $6 download off of GoG you can be up and running with BMS in an afternoon and not have to deal with all this activation bullshit.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Of course, while BMS runs flawlessly for pretty much everybody in the world, I'm sure it will be buggered for you.  Maybe you better not get it after all.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Toonces

Seriously, though, you need to bag DCS and get on the BMS bandwagon mate!

jomni

Quote from: Toonces on December 17, 2015, 06:44:22 PM

Save money in the process too

Yskonyn

Quote from: Toonces on December 17, 2015, 06:44:22 PM

True words, JD! :)

The BMS guys make things (like Carrier Ops in an F/A 18) happen and in a much shorter timeframe!
It has the grand Dynamic Campaign for singleplayer goodness AND it has solid MP functionality with built-in radio suite!

DCS 2 will be grand, no doubt. But it will keep us waiting for many awesome additions too...
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

Several hours ago ED released 1.5.2 as the stable release making 1.2.xx obsolete finally.

DCS 2 remains in alpha for now.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

for the record, the difference between 1.2 and 1.5 is remarkable. 1.5 is a tremendous leap forward in both look and performance.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

Getting back to DCS after a long time. Only have A-10C and Ground Forces.

What do you recommend? Skip the old and go DCS2?

Interested in that F15C and the newly released Red Flag Campaign

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on January 15, 2016, 10:22:16 PM
Getting back to DCS after a long time. Only have A-10C and Ground Forces.

What do you recommend? Skip the old and go DCS2?

Interested in that F15C and the newly released Red Flag Campaign

Spent most of my time in A-10C jacking with the crazy amount of button mapping customization, and learning the HOTAS system management commands.  Gave up on the latter after awhile.  Too much up-front crunch and delay. 

Black Shark 2 and the latest Flaming Cliffs is where I spent most of my time.  The latter having the F-15C, Su-27, and all the other baseline modelled stuff, which is just the right amount of fun for me. 

I don't require battery and generator on/off switches in a clickable cockpit to enjoy a flight sim.  They just add extra dull time before getting to the enjoyment.  Black Shark 2 has the filled-out cockpit but it's systems are relatively easy to learn.  Same for the late model Su-25, which is free.

I didn't plan on picking up another fancy click-o-cockpit aircraft anytime soon, but I may have to pick up the Mirage eventually.  After they get their new map & engine sorted.

TL;DR

I guess Flaming Cliffs is the big package you want.  You can purchase the F-15C by itself, but it also comes with a bunch of other fighters in the FC package.  None of those have clickable cockpits, but they also have less stuff to turn off/on.