Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

How does MP work in DCS? Free for all?  Mission based? PvP or PvE?

Tuna

It depends on the server.. You can also create MP missions yourself and host a game.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 13, 2016, 08:18:31 PM
How does MP work in DCS? Free for all?  Mission based? PvP or PvE?

We got on the "Open Conflict" server. 

It has PvP in a large central area, for players of the two sides to fight it out.  But there are also designated areas for Korean War, 70s-Era planes (MiG-21bis and F-5E right now), Helos & Ground Attack against AI, etc.  Also a safe zone around your home airbases where enemy planes will get quickly murderized if they try to base camp. 

Also says it's noob friendly.  So there's a wide mix of stuff going on.

I jumped in for another run on that server, after Tuna left for the night.  Server restarted pretty quickly, so I chose the Red team this time since they had fewer warm bodies/targets.  Nearly forgot to arm up before taking off.  Ended up in a BVR fight; AMRAAMS at high noon.  I didn't fare so well, but at least I got off a shot and put in some missile evasion practice!   :)) 

Quote from: Tuna on October 13, 2016, 07:59:26 PM
Well I got my first MP kill.. Too bad it was a friendly. But at least it was Nef!.. oh well.. torp friends in WoW... Splash my friends in DCS!

I think you were just disappointed about not seeing me fireball onto the enemy AI runway, on that strafing run.  Saved a ground crew from pulling tree limbs and bird nests out of the engines.   By blowing it up with a missile.    ;D

Nefaro

Excellent YouTube series on various Missile Evasion Techniques for DCS.

Both in-cockpit example and flight recorder playback afterward.  Showing the whole process.

Playlist link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDV5ZnloAsc&index=1&list=PL-rNisMp5bxFu95q8IMBU0CfKBBRVZg3V

O0

Asid

Hi Nef

Have you used Tacview? It is a great tool. There is also a free version  O0

http://www.tacview.net
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Nefaro

Quote from: Asid on October 14, 2016, 02:03:28 PM
Hi Nef

Have you used Tacview? It is a great tool. There is also a free version  O0

http://www.tacview.net

I intend to d/l it soon. 

Been getting into some confusing fights.  Losing sight/SA too much, having been so very long since doing DCS.  Plus all my newer hardware.  Getting stuck defensive too much. 

Takes time, with each specific flight sim, to be able to keep sight of the flying specks down low.  Took a couple weeks before I could readily do so in ROF.  Would have to do it again, after a long hiatus.  Eyes need to adjust to the gfx I suppose.

Need the Tac replay to see WTF was actually going on while I'm busy doing the the Missile Dodge Dance.  Get a better idea when I can try to turn the tables.   O0

Nefaro

Was positive I was gonna be a pancake death on this last second missile evasion.  After seeing just how close the ground was, in the middle of this Split-S.   :o   :buck2:

Dived without realizing there was a ridge VERY close below me.  Was almost totally blacked out in the 9.8G turn at the bottom, but somehow didn't splat or quite pass out. 

The digital ground crew will be cleaning out my digital pilot seat.  Has to be the closest hair-of-my-ass pullout I've ever done, at 9.8G and 105 feet AGL.   O:-)

Tuna

Did the sides get lopsided again when I left? I was looking at the player tab, thought I only saw 1 on the other side.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on October 15, 2016, 07:48:42 AM
Did the sides get lopsided again when I left? I was looking at the player tab, thought I only saw 1 on the other side.

Maybe for a bit. 

Most players on that server were doing ground attack.  Only 1-3 ever running CAP on each side, at a time.   Had hoped to find an enemy A-10/Su-25/Helo player and give them hell, but they were being very careful not to venture too far in, staying near their SAM cover.

I did have an enjoyable engagement with a flight of four MiG-23s.  They were going after a friendly AI bomber on it's run-in.  I got there just in time to launch 120Cs on three of them, and downed two in the first exchange, while evading a few of their missiles.  Turned at the right time to shoot the third one in the face.  One enemy missile was so close to my tail, but had lost so much energy that it was right behind me for a couple seconds, almost in my pipes.  Then it fell off.   :)

Got into a dogfight with the fourth.  Against a MiG-23's shitty wing loading, it was gonna be a piece of cake.  But, on the outside of my turn I unknowingly entered a SAM concentration at fairly low altitude.  An SA-19, and at least one SA-8, just started ripple firing at me like tomorrow would never come.   :o  Plus the MiG-23 fired a heater at me from the opposite direction.  The quarterback is toast.

Those TacView replays are f'ing awesome.   Very helpful in determining wtf happened, and where to improve.  Plus it's damn amusing watching good fights.   O0

Tuna

Showing off our Groghead Taxi skills in yesterday's session

Nef Landing

Looking at todays session in TacView (Thanks for the link Asid), we both avoided these 120's.. but later I took a bad hit, and was finished off limping home. Nef went on to kill a Mirage and made it home safely. Good times!

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on October 15, 2016, 03:00:24 PM

Looking at todays session in TacView (Thanks for the link Asid), we both avoided these 120's.. but later I took a bad hit, and was finished off limping home. Nef went on to kill a Mirage and made it home safely. Good times!

We did pretty well in that engagement, early on.  I thought you were gonna give that guy the what-for, when you re-engaged, but you must not have noticed the missile launch that got you.  You evaded three of his slammers in the first joust, which was hairy to watch even in the replay.

I got sidetracked when I detected that Mirage trying to sneak up behind us after we got engaged.  Maybe I should've turned back to help with that opposing F-15, but he was close enough to get sneaky flank shots on us soon so I dunno.  They could've been coordinating this pincer, for all I know.

After watching that whole sortie a second time, I noticed an odd thing happen with my second Mirage kill on the way back to base:

My first 120C hit his just-launched Super Matra missile.  Guess it's radar got a better return on the slightly closer enemy missile and they blew each other up.   ;D   "AIM-120C killed Matra"  LOL!   I remember seeing the explosion right where the Mirage was, and thinking I had got him.  But it was just the missile he had launched a second before mine arrived!

He was still maneuvering, though.  May have damaged him, being so close.  So I turned in behind and put a Sidewinder up his pipe.  Was in TWS mode, so he got no Lock or Missile Launch warning and didn't pop a single flare.    O0

Scored two player-driven Mirages and an AI cargo plane that mission.   C:-)

The TacView playback is great. 

Pretty easy to use, too, although there was one facet that took me a bit to figure out; selecting the camera focus near a specific event time.  You have to use the dropdown at the top, select the aircraft you want to watch, THEN click-drag the bar on the timeline to the timestamp of the action you're wanting to watch (which is in the event list on the left, or listed under the Aircraft & Username in the focus dropdown).

Nefaro

Good vid for priority buttons to map.

Also re-learned that you have to save a profile file for each stick, throttle, etc, instead of everything for just one aircraft.  I actually knew that in the past, but completely forgot.  :idiot2:

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on October 16, 2016, 01:54:36 PM
Good vid for priority buttons to map.

Also re-learned that you have to save a profile file for each stick, throttle, etc, instead of everything for just one aircraft.  I actually knew that in the past, but completely forgot.  :idiot2:

I thought that book was "a thing" and went to look for it  :uglystupid2:

This game (each of the aircraft within the game) could do with one of these books.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 17, 2016, 08:35:41 AM

This game (each of the aircraft within the game) could do with one of these books.

Chuck's pdf Guides are pretty damn handy:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

JudgeDredd

Thanks for the link...bookmarked  O0
Alba gu' brath