Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on October 25, 2016, 03:01:04 PM
Is this server Black Sea only, or do I need Nevada also?

This chatter is making me want to install DCS again and woop up on you guys.

Most of them are Black Sea v1.5

2.0 and NTTR are still in 'Alpha', although I'm sure there are some people doing MP on it.  I don't own NTTR, however, and in no hurry.

Toonces

Ok, I'm going to see if I can get my DCS squared away this weekend.  I've always wanted to try out some of these modules I have.  I have about 5 minutes in the MiG-29 and almost no time in the MiG-21 or Su-27.  No time at all in Mi-8 or Huey.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

Gotta admit, I am seeing some weird behaviours in MP. Because everyone is flying by themselves.  Makes you appreciate modern Organised tactics.
(1) A2A missile spam. People die easily since you don't have a wingman to protect you so you just launch all your missiles to the first enemy you see. Then quickly head back home and rearm. It's ok to be caught unarmed subsequently because you can respawn anyway.  (2) Nap of the earth flying.  It's a valid tactic provided low level SAM threat is manageable but I just see it being done too often.
So in order to survive, I need to adopt these tactics too.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 25, 2016, 09:10:59 PM
Gotta admit, I am seeing some weird behaviours in MP. Because everyone is flying by themselves.  Makes you appreciate modern Organised tactics.
(1) A2A missile spam. People die easily since you don't have a wingman to protect you so you just launch all your missiles to the first enemy you see. Then quickly head back home and rearm. It's ok to be caught unarmed subsequently because you can respawn anyway.  (2) Nap of the earth flying.  It's a valid tactic provided low level SAM threat is manageable but I just see it being done too often.
So in order to survive, I need to adopt these tactics too.

Even if you're not communicating with your friendly teammates & AI, you can still hang around them for extra back-up.  Or drag a group of enemies into them, once they come after you.

Certainly a bunch of 'Air Quakeâ„¢' going on, but I'm usually okay with that, being a filthy casual.  Although I still try to make it home alive, and land, if possible. 

With all the missiles in the air, it's extra insurance being down low and having mountain ridges nearby to dive behind.  Plus you need to be lower than the opposing doppler radar if you want to successfully "beam" them & make them lose their lock-on.   But it's a trade-off because your medium range missiles have less range down there, so you'll often be shot at earlier from someone with an altitude advantage.

Finally landed my Su-25T on the somewhat short Sochi runway, in the 10m/s crosswind.  Was a nightmare the first few times, as that 30mph wind kept trying to push my wing over, after touching down. 

Kept going up on two wheels & being pushed off the runway while trying to brake on it's limited length.  That heavy ass 'T' model Frogfoot doesn't want to slow down very quickly.  Even when it's skidding at an angle down most of the runway!   ;D

jomni

Even with the drag chute?

Tuna

Took up the SU-25T for the first time today on Open Conflict.. More or less to try and get my controls mapped, watching videos has got me excited to try this bird. Trim is definitely an important set with this pig!...

Anyways, coming in for a landing.. I did deploy the Chute, and it dragged me severely to the left!.. Should I wait till the end of runway to deploy? If you hit the deploy button again will it cut the chute? Just wondering if that is what I need to do, or if it's a Nose Wheel steering thing like on the F-15, and I just need to disable. Only thing is, the left drag didn't start I don't think until I deployed the chute. And unlike the f-15, I had no problems with the nose wheel while taking off.

Nefaro

Hell... my chute hasn't yet deployed, despite punching the 'p' button every time I landed.   >:(  So I eventually end up blowing a tire from jamming the brakes so much.

But it did work in the Mirage.  So I dunno what's going on.

Come to think of it, the command for Jettisoning the external fuel tanks on the F-15 stops working if I bind it to one of my HOTAS buttons.  I end up having to use the keyboard command at some point.  Flaky ass button mapping?

I've still been having some fun blowing up ground & sea targets, when I feel like a break from the fighter jousting.  Even if my Su-25T gets torn up every time I land it.  The A-10A is pretty easy though.

As for coordination, it seems like many people are using SimpleRadio on the MP servers.  Which is supposed to automatically detect which side (red or blue) you choose and drop you into the appropriate side's channels when you join.  Then you can tune the appropriate frequency for the server, either on SR's little interface or using your radio frequency tuners in the aircraft with clickable 'pits.

But I've yet to see it actually work.. at all.  It will run but will not detect when I log into the server (despite having the specific IP for SR) nor drop me onto the appropriate side.  The color of the button, in SR, denotes which side you're on and it just doesn't switch.  Maybe I should check some more servers with it. *shrug*

jomni

Millipede

Quote from: Hartford688 on October 22, 2016, 05:35:30 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 22, 2016, 03:06:57 AM

When you hit the buy button and while in cart, it says "NOT FOR STEAM"

D'oh!

Thank you. I'll pass then.

The F-15C for DCS World and DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 are on sale this weekend on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/223750

Jarhead0331

If I have Flaming Cliffs 3, I don't need the F15C, right? The upgraded flight models for all the Flaming Cliffs aircraft are included? Does anything additional come with the individual aircraft, like training missions, etc,?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tuna

Correct you don't need it.. Nothing extra with the 'single' model.

Millipede

My understanding is that your presumption is correct. If you have Flaming Cliffs 3... that includes F-15C, A-10A, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-29A, MiG-29S and Su-25 and that there is no difference between the FC3 models and the individually purchased DCS models. Uh... I know this is hard to believe but, I have been mistaken in the past so... if anyone has different info, please let us all know.

The primary reason that I posted was to let Hartford688 know that he could get the F-15C through Steam, which he seemed to prefer.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 28, 2016, 04:18:34 PM
If I have Flaming Cliffs 3, I don't need the F15C, right? The upgraded flight models for all the Flaming Cliffs aircraft are included? Does anything additional come with the individual aircraft, like training missions, etc,?

You are correct.

FC3 already includes all the F-15 an Su-27 updates.  Plus any updates for the other included aircraft (the MiG-29 had some texture improvements or something, recently, and is supposed to be getting an updated flight model at some point, which will likewise be included).

jomni

In Open Conflict, server I always get fixated with the enemy tankers orbiting.  Then I get picked on by either the ships or some CAP.
Better learn not to go for those.

Hartford688

A lot of DCS modules 40% off on Steam right now.