Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Tactical Wargamer on December 26, 2017, 05:46:10 PM
Hey guys newbie looking to get into DCS. Have the VR headset now just looking for a decent HOTAS set. What would you recommend? Do you guys have set group that fly together? Watching all the videos I can get my hands on. I take it start slow with the SU25? Cheers

Get the HOTAS you can afford.  That's my best recommendation.  As far as price point goes, you generally get more for each leap in price.  For example, I wanted more hat switches than I'd likely ever need for a fully modeled DCS aircraft, but I didn't want to spend $450 on a Warthog.  So I went for a ~$250 setup, plus some rudder pedals later on.  It may not be quite as good as a Warthog, in some areas, but it's far better than my first HOTAS.  Which was a cheapy Thrustmaster T-Flight for about $50.  It sufficed for a bit, but I quickly wanted more & better.

AFAIK, nobody here has been meeting up for regular DCS flying in multi-player lately.  I'm probably going to sit tight until next month's v2.5 consolidated client is out and the initial bug patching has made it manageable. 

Speaking of the upcoming v2.5 - make sure you save each aircraft's keybinds, for each listed controller/device, and back those files up somewhere outside the Users/ folder they're in. 

Because once v2.5 comes out our two current DCS World versions will be defunct, and I'm not sure if uninstalling them will wipe some or all of their save folders. 

Loading those keybind files will save a LOT of time for me after installing the new version. 

Tuna

Quote from: Nefaro on December 26, 2017, 07:45:26 PM
Quote from: Tactical Wargamer on December 26, 2017, 05:46:10 PM
Hey guys newbie looking to get into DCS. Have the VR headset now just looking for a decent HOTAS set. What would you recommend? Do you guys have set group that fly together? Watching all the videos I can get my hands on. I take it start slow with the SU25? Cheers

Get the HOTAS you can afford.  That's my best recommendation.  As far as price point goes, you generally get more for each leap in price.  For example, I wanted more hat switches than I'd likely ever need for a fully modeled DCS aircraft, but I didn't want to spend $450 on a Warthog.  So I went for a ~$250 setup, plus some rudder pedals later on.  It may not be quite as good as a Warthog, in some areas, but it's far better than my first HOTAS.  Which was a cheapy Thrustmaster T-Flight for about $50.  It sufficed for a bit, but I quickly wanted more & better.

AFAIK, nobody here has been meeting up for regular DCS flying in multi-player lately.  I'm probably going to sit tight until next month's v2.5 consolidated client is out and the initial bug patching has made it manageable. 

Speaking of the upcoming v2.5 - make sure you save each aircraft's keybinds, for each listed controller/device, and back those files up somewhere outside the Users/ folder they're in. 

Because once v2.5 comes out our two current DCS World versions will be defunct, and I'm not sure if uninstalling them will wipe some or all of their save folders. 

Loading those keybind files will save a LOT of time for me after installing the new version.

I talked to him last night on Steam IM Nef, I think he's going with the 100 dollah thrustmaster Hotas.. We may have to do some SU25 flying, I still have to figure out what functions to match to which buttons on my new stick.
You said our 'old' MP server is gone correct?

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on December 27, 2017, 07:03:53 AM

I talked to him last night on Steam IM Nef, I think he's going with the 100 dollah thrustmaster Hotas.. We may have to do some SU25 flying, I still have to figure out what functions to match to which buttons on my new stick.
You said our 'old' MP server is gone correct?

Yes, the Open Conflict one is gone but I had written it off for awhile anyway since it was so often filled to capacity.

I think a few servers have been in & out lately.  After the new version comes out, I expect it will be similarly rocky until the hosts update their modules & servers.

What "new stick" did you get, Tuna?

Tuna

the 100 dollar thrustmaster hotas

Jarhead0331

Is that the T.16000M? I have that as my back-up set. Not bad at all for the price. I also have the rudder pedals for the system.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 27, 2017, 02:53:43 PM
Is that the T.16000M? I have that as my back-up set. Not bad at all for the price. I also have the rudder pedals for the system.

I recall grokking that one when I was shopping around, and it was new at the time.  Didn't look to have as many hat switches as I wanted IIRC.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on December 27, 2017, 03:20:47 PM

I recall grokking that one when I was shopping around, and it was new at the time.  Didn't look to have as many hat switches as I wanted IIRC.

Yes. Not even close to the number of switches and buttons on my X55, but I've been happy with it when playing my lower fidelity games, like Strike Fighters, Mech Warrior 4, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tuna

I wonder if my machine will be able to run 2.5.  :-[

Father Ted

It's not a HOTAS system, but is a solid stick.  I've coupled it with a home-made throttle quadrant and it does the job.

Tactical Wargamer

Quote from: Tuna on December 27, 2017, 02:42:55 PM

Thanks Tuna for all your help. I ordered it to start......will upgrade as I increase my ability :)
Talk soon.
@TacticWargamer

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on December 27, 2017, 03:57:46 PM
I wonder if my machine will be able to run 2.5.  :-[

You got an antique potato or something?   ???

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on December 27, 2017, 02:42:55 PM

You also need to get the F-5 module so we can go do some Cold War server WVR scraps sometime.  Closer to flying Korean aircraft than today's as far as tech goes.  ;)

And the MiG-21 at some point, although the updates keep breaking it's flare loadout in MP.  :knuppel2:

Hell, just getting the Flaming Cliffs 3 pack would triple your flyable aircraft options.   :cowboy:

Been wanting to do some Cold War or Blue Flag server action for awhile since they're limited to the '70s era aircraft that only carry IR AAMs and more primitive ground attack systems.  Don't have to contend with the long range BVR missile imbalances.  8)

Jarhead0331

You guys see the newsletter today? If they accomplish half of what they expect in 2018, it will be a fantastic year for flight simming.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

RyanE

From what I have seen, they can never accomplish half of what they tell us.  But, one can always hope.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 29, 2017, 02:39:24 PM
You guys see the newsletter today? If they accomplish half of what they expect in 2018, it will be a fantastic year for flight simming.

That's quite a big list.   ???

Quote from: ED

We and our partners plan even bigger and better things for 2018 to include:

DCS World 2.5 by the end of January
    DCS: F/A-18C Hornet
    DCS: Strait of Hormuz Map
    DCS: F-14 Tomcat
    DCS: JF-17
    DCS: MiG-19
    DCS: Mi-24P Hind
    DCS: F-4E Phantom II
    DCS: Bo-105
    C-101CC variant for the DCS: C-101 module
    DCS: Yak-52
    DCS: I-16
    DCS: Christen Eagle II
    New aircraft carriers
    Other new maps and continued updates to our existing maps
    Several other unannounced projects

We will also be working on improvements to clouds, explosions with improved proximity damage, virtual reality, spotting system, network play, Forward Looking Infrared (FLIR), air-to-air missiles, and performance optimization with the inclusion of the Vulkan API. In parallel, we will continue to support and improve our existing modules.

With the pending release of DCS World 2.5 which will unify our projects and several exiting new modules, we see 2018 as being a great year to be a DCS World fan!