Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tactical Wargamer

Is there any multiplayer same aircraft? I see the UH1 is one. Any others gents? F14?
@TacticWargamer

Nefaro

Wags is starting up a YouTube livestream on the F-18C and the 2.5 updated Caucasus map right now.

Laps are getting moist like snack cakes.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

I was a bit surprised to see the Sino-Paki wannabe F-16 (JF-17) on there.  Struck me as an odd choice.  New 3rd party dev perhaps?

Has also been some scuttlebutt about an F-15E 'mud hen' being up for consideration.  ???

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on January 01, 2018, 02:54:22 PM
I was a bit surprised to see the Sino-Paki wannabe F-16 (JF-17) on there.  Struck me as an odd choice.  New 3rd party dev perhaps?

Has also been some scuttlebutt about an F-15E 'mud hen' being up for consideration.  ???

Mig 19?  Why that and not the Mig 17?  The AV8B (already out) looks nice, but I bought the Mirage 2000C instead (much less expensive in the sale and probably enough like the Mig21bis for me not to have to relearn a lot).

JudgeDredd

Well 8GB more memory and the stuttering has gone.

I don't know what they did to the 2.2 engine, but there was a definite change from the last time I opened the game and recently when I bought the Harrier. Throwing in another 8GB of RAM to give me 16GB sorted the problem.
Alba gu' brath

Tuna

Make note to self, get another 8 gig of memory.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on January 01, 2018, 07:57:34 PM

Mig 19?  Why that and not the Mig 17?  The AV8B (already out) looks nice, but I bought the Mirage 2000C instead (much less expensive in the sale and probably enough like the Mig21bis for me not to have to relearn a lot).

From the second hand scuttlebutt I've heard, ED was originally planning to add the full fidelity MiG-23 Flogger.  When the Russkie gov't found out they told them to desist with some threat of action.  Guess they still keep their deep MiG-23 information closeted. 

Since DCS already has a MiG-21, the next popular step back in fighters is the MiG-19. 

I think it's the right call, if they're dead set on adding another Soviet era fighter.  The MiG-19 was a more unique development than the MiG-17, which was essentially an improved design of the MiG-15, and that one is already available in the sim.  Plus the MiG-19 still fits into DCS' growing stable of early '70s era aircraft models that pack IR missiles.  The sweet spot where "within visual range" dogfighting, mostly with short-range IR missiles and guns, was still the norm.  I think the servers & missions limited to these types are much more fun than the BVR jousting dances and heads-down radar & TGP gazing that usually happens with the later generation stuff. 

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy flying most of them.  Just have preferences for mixing it up in WVR with the Vietnam and Arab-Israeli War era jets for maximum neck stress.  :D

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on January 04, 2018, 06:48:46 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 01, 2018, 07:57:34 PM

From the second hand scuttlebutt I've heard, ED was originally planning to add the full fidelity MiG-23 Flogger.  When the Russkie gov't found out they told them to desist with some threat of action.  Guess they still keep their deep MiG-23 information closeted. 

Since DCS already has a MiG-21, the next popular step back in fighters is the MiG-19. 

I think it's the right call, if they're dead set on adding another Soviet era fighter.  The MiG-19 was a more unique development than the MiG-17, which was essentially an improved design of the MiG-15, and that one is already available in the sim.  Plus the MiG-19 still fits into DCS' growing stable of early '70s era aircraft models that pack IR missiles.  The sweet spot where "within visual range" dogfighting, mostly with short-range IR missiles and guns, was still the norm.  I think the servers & missions limited to these types are much more fun than the BVR jousting dances and heads-down radar & TGP gazing that usually happens with the later generation stuff. 

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy flying most of them.  Just have preferences for mixing it up in WVR with the Vietnam and Arab-Israeli War era jets for maximum neck stress.  :D

I thought the Mig-17 would be a good fit with the Mig21bis to create the late 60s airforces of Egypt or North Vietnam or even India (I think).  I'm not sure the Mig 19 ever fired any shots in anger.

oops!  Well Wikipedia tells a different story and the Mig19 in J-6 form especially has seen a lot of action.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-19

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on January 04, 2018, 11:51:43 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 04, 2018, 06:48:46 PM

I thought the Mig-17 would be a good fit with the Mig21bis to create the late 60s airforces of Egypt or North Vietnam or even India (I think).  I'm not sure the Mig 19 ever fired any shots in anger.

oops!  Well Wikipedia tells a different story and the Mig19 in J-6 form especially has seen a lot of action.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-19

With the F-4E currently being developed, and a Mirage III supposedly planned, I would imagine they're looking for some more types which were historically used against them, besides the MiG-21.  Performance-wise, the MiG-19 is the next closest.  O0 

I think some MiG-19 versions were capable of using the early Russian copies of the Sidewinder (R-2) missile.  I hope they are modelling those so they can potentially keep up, in the lethality department, with other same-era aircraft in multi-player.

My curiosity would much prefer a MiG-23 over the -19, but that idea apparently got shot down.

JudgeDredd

Red Flag campaign is on sale for the Viggen $9.99
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

I wish they would make some training campaigns that actually provide interactive and narrated instructions for various flight, weapons and avionics systems.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2018, 02:36:16 PM
I wish they would make some training campaigns that actually provide interactive and narrated instructions for various flight, weapons and avionics systems.
Agreed. I bought the Basic Flight Training Qualification for the A-10C - it wasn't really what I'd hoped for. It required you knew just about everything for the Hog. I had hoped for what you said - and interactive learning tool.

My bad for not reading properly.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 05, 2018, 03:13:35 PM
Agreed. I bought the Basic Flight Training Qualification for the A-10C - it wasn't really what I'd hoped for. It required you knew just about everything for the Hog. I had hoped for what you said - and interactive learning tool.

Yeah. That is exactly why I avoided it. Its advertised as a "training campaign" but it doesn't offer any real useful training or instruction...as you said, it requires familiarity with the aircraft to be of any use.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Millipede

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2018, 03:31:19 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 05, 2018, 03:13:35 PM

Yeah. That is exactly why I avoided it. Its advertised as a "training campaign" but it doesn't offer any real useful training or instruction...as you said, it requires familiarity with the aircraft to be of any use.

Whew! Thanks for the info, I was about to buy the damn thing.