Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Ta

Can I ask if anyone else is having any issues after being in DCS?

I've just fired it up a few times tonight (testing performance) and each time I exit, I've went to go in Chrome...but all I get is a blank page. I can close chrome, but when I look at Task Manager, there's 5 sessions of chrome loaded (this seems normal...I've just rebooted and fired Chrome up and there's five sessions!!). I can close all but one of them. I then attempt to reboot and each time it says it's waiting for a task and doesn't say what the task is...so I click Force Restart...but it still just sits there and I have to soft reboot with the reset button.

I've tried this several times and whilst I don't want to put this at DCS's door - it is only happening when I've been in DCS and it happens every time. I can recreate it every time.

Also I saw nVidia was notifying me of an updated driver for my graphics card but when I tried to load the interface to get it, the interface wouldn't load.

I do have other things running and iirc D3DGear was a piece of software that caused an issue with a game some time ago (I think Project Cars 2)...so I will try an eliminate other programs. I'll update if I find the culprit

I just wanted to check if anyone else is noticing anything when they exit DCS.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Just a heads up: the reason people flocked to SSD's for DCS was the notorious microstutter issues. I expect you guys will get this again on the normal HDD's .
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MikeGER

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 01, 2018, 05:34:29 PM
I then attempt to reboot and each time it says it's waiting for a task and doesn't say what the task is...so I click Force Restart...but it still just sits there and I have to soft reboot with the reset button.

i don't use Chrome and still the vanilla DCS 1.58

but i have this phenomena sometimes when closing Battlefront2 and that Origin launcher screen thingi in the background don't shut itself down, hangs or had a soft crash

so i guess in your case also some task (from whatever application ....could be the DCS launcher) has crashed and hinders the reboot

JudgeDredd

It might not be DCS of course. I only stated it because it happens everytime I exit DCS. It could be another app...I'm still looking.

Yskonyn - perhaps that was linked to memory as well. If it can't load all the data into memory, it's going to be paging it. Reading from a normal HD is going to be slower than reading from an SSD. I've put 16GB of memory in my machine now and those stutters I had vanished into thin air.

Reading from a normal HD will still be an issue. A quick check last night showed it took around 2 minutes from clicking the icon to DCS main page loading. I downloaded 2.5 installer last night and ran DCS and it loaded in 10 seconds. Admittedly, there were no modules installed and I've left my machine currently doing that. But I am just talking about going from icon to main DCS page...I can't see modules having that much of an impact.

When the modules are installed by the time I get home tonight, I'll give an update. I will have 2.5 installed on my normal HD and also my SSD and I'll see how they compare. The SSD is never going to come out worst here though  ^-^

I'm just so chuffed they've amalgamated these now. Great gaming ahead.
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

Jarhead0331

The only difference I've noticed is with load times. It took a rather noticeably long time to load a basic training flight. However, once loaded, performance was great and I didn't perceive any difference between SSD and the standard drive.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Specially for Jarhead!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Pete Dero

Quote from: Yskonyn on February 02, 2018, 09:51:06 AM
Specially for Jarhead!

Link in your post doesn't seem to work (part of the youtube adress is missing).

Yskonyn

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on February 02, 2018, 09:51:06 AM
Specially for Jarhead!

Very interesting. VTOL VR is still very far ahead in terms of how the player interacts with the cockpit switches and controls, but this is a very good development to see.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

For anyone that's interested, I've just tried, from a fresh reboot, loading DCS 2.5 from a normal HD drive and with another fresh reboot, loaded it from my SSD.

Normal HD
Loading the game (to main game screen) - 2 mins 52 secs
Load the Mission Editor - 50 secs
Load AV8B Caucasus mission in editor - 2 secs
Load AV8B Nevada mission in editor - 1 min 35 secs
Load AV8B Caucasus mission to fly - 3 mins 9 secs

SSD
Loading the game (to main game screen) - 48 secs
Load the Mission Editor - 35 secs
Load AV8B Caucasus mission in editor - 1 sec
Load AV8B Nevada mission in editor - 41 secs
Load AV8B Caucasus mission to fly - 43 secs

I haven't played a mission with either - actually flown - but as I said, you're unlikely to notice a difference whilst playing if you have 16GB of memory or more. If you have less, then you will likely notice some "in game" issues whilst the system moves stuff in and out of RAM and off your hard disk.

Also - that thing with Chrome is still happening with a load of startup programs removed - and it only happens after running DCS and only happens with Chrome...IE is fine. So I'm going to mention it on DCS forums.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Glad to see in the latest news letter that load times is something they are working on for the full release.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

God damn I want to fly this...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

I want have its babies.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

I'm just waiting...patiently
Alba gu' brath