The Grogheads Hot Tub Time Machine

Started by Jarhead0331, May 31, 2020, 06:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Hot lead and dirty talk! on June 09, 2020, 01:35:36 PM
COVERT ACTION , nice to hear that one mentioned. Loved that game.

SEAL TEAM by EA was played by me for many years afterwards on  DosBox.

RED BARON is still mighty fine and can be purchased on GOG.

SEAL Team is awesome. I still play it. The game play hasn't aged too well, but talk about a game that revolutionized the genre.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Lowenstaat

I just ran across this interesting interview of Trevor Sorensen, creator and developer of Star Fleet II: Krellan Commander.

I remember watching a teacher play Star Fleet I on his office computer when I was in High School. A few years later I picked up Star Fleet II: Krellan Commander from a Software ETC store when I was in college. The game was a blast. I wish I'd kept my box copy, but I still play the game sometimes on DOS BOX and reference the manuals on PDF.

"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 31, 2020, 06:45:31 AM
Other examples are some games I'm playing, Rules of Engagement and the Star Fleet series, which includes Star Fleet I: The War Begins, Star Fleet II: Krellan Commander, and Star Legion. These are all extremely rich and rewarding titles, that have no peer in the modern gaming age, but which are REALLY old...archaic graphics, minimal sound, UIs from the dawn of time, etc.

I played the hell out of Star Fleet I on the C64 back in the 80s.  Loved that thing as a kid. 

I also still fire up Starfleet Command 2: Orion Pirates, the later updated and modded version with a lot more in it.  Another series I keep coming back to despite the text being quite small on high resolutions.   I don't think whichever company re-released it with more updates in the early 2010s is selling it anymore on their out-of-the-way website.  Must've lost licensing.  Perhaps it'll join SFC1 on GOG eventually.

FarAway Sooner

It's been a few years since I last dusted off DOSBox, but I'd put a vote in for Renegade: Legion Interceptor.  Man, alive, was that a great game!  It was a reasonably faithful adaptation of the FASA board game by the same name. 

Once you got an OP craft, it was kind of game over, but it was a gloriously simple tactical system with a wonderfully rich damage system.  I still remember doing a victory dance every time I managed a Particle Cannon shot right down a narrow hole I'd already drilled in my opponent's shield using a Laser!

Imperium 2 was a great game, but not one I've played in a long time now.  I got to be very good friends with one of the co-designers on that game, before I ever knew he designed it!  I actually saw Ted again just this Spring.  Man, we are both a lot older than we were when I was playing that game...   ;D

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd