Main Menu

Exercise Habits

Started by Bison, July 31, 2012, 01:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Everyone commenting in the last few pages seems to have the exercise part down which leads me to believe that it is the diet part that is generally the most difficult part for everyone. I know it is for me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GJK

Diet - for sure.  If I plan out my meals, I'm ok.  Never hungry and no rash decisions that usually lead to poor eating/blown diet.  It's when I haven't prepared or planned a meal and I'm hungry and need to eat NOW that I will blow it and eat some outrageously fatty or high carb meal (and I'll love it while I'm doing it!).  If you can plan the meals out - have the groceries at the ready - you'll be far more better at sticking to the diet.

And with everything, if done in moderation, you can even have the bad stuff and still be ok.  ;)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Arctic Blast

Weight goal for me is right around 200 pounds. I could be pretty damn happy with that.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: GJK on March 05, 2013, 10:50:34 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 05, 2013, 07:15:03 PM
As of today, I'm 214 pounds and have noticeably toned up. Most importantly, my back and knees feel a Hell of a lot better than they did before.
Good job AB, congrats! 
Diet is the main thing but the hardest part for most of us to control.  Carb control is my key.  I love pasta and Tex-Mex but my body will store all those extra calories and convert those carbs to fat.  What did Yogi Berra used to say (not about diets, but baseball) "the first half is the exercise, the other 90% is the diet" (modified to fit our discussion). 
The thing with cardio and resistance training - our bodies adapt to that new workload and thus it will stall out and stop responding.  When you first start exercising and dieting, the results are wonderful!  But then your body gets what's going on and it adjusts the metabolism and the next thing you know, you're in a rut.  You have to constantly shake things up to throw your body a curve.  Up the cardio and ease up on the weights or vice-versa for a short period of time and then revert back.  If you do your exercise routine in the evenings, switch to the early morning.  I used to love cardio in the morning (no, not that kind...well, yes, I DO love THAT kind as well of course!).  Done on an empty stomach when you first awake, your body has to go to the fat stores to fuel the cardio session because there is no readily available glycogen that you would normally have after eating all day.  That's a great way to get rid of some stubborn fat.

I try to avoid carbs. Checking out the grains rice is the worst at almost pure carbs with the least protein. Barley is the best with the highest protein. Its chewey which also makes the brain think you are full. I try to stick to barley and oats for grains, sometimes pasta. I love pasta, i don't love how I wear it after.

The simplest thing I do, which anyone can do, is knee bends in front of the screen. I read the web while doing shallow knee bends. It moves a lot of mass with the biggest muscle groups.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on March 06, 2013, 06:44:44 PM
Quote from: GJK on March 05, 2013, 10:50:34 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 05, 2013, 07:15:03 PM
As of today, I'm 214 pounds and have noticeably toned up. Most importantly, my back and knees feel a Hell of a lot better than they did before.
Good job AB, congrats! 
Diet is the main thing but the hardest part for most of us to control.  Carb control is my key.  I love pasta and Tex-Mex but my body will store all those extra calories and convert those carbs to fat.  What did Yogi Berra used to say (not about diets, but baseball) "the first half is the exercise, the other 90% is the diet" (modified to fit our discussion). 
The thing with cardio and resistance training - our bodies adapt to that new workload and thus it will stall out and stop responding.  When you first start exercising and dieting, the results are wonderful!  But then your body gets what's going on and it adjusts the metabolism and the next thing you know, you're in a rut.  You have to constantly shake things up to throw your body a curve.  Up the cardio and ease up on the weights or vice-versa for a short period of time and then revert back.  If you do your exercise routine in the evenings, switch to the early morning.  I used to love cardio in the morning (no, not that kind...well, yes, I DO love THAT kind as well of course!).  Done on an empty stomach when you first awake, your body has to go to the fat stores to fuel the cardio session because there is no readily available glycogen that you would normally have after eating all day.  That's a great way to get rid of some stubborn fat.

I try to avoid carbs. Checking out the grains rice is the worst at almost pure carbs with the least protein. Barley is the best with the highest protein. Its chewey which also makes the brain think you are full. I try to stick to barley and oats for grains, sometimes pasta. I love pasta, i don't love how I wear it after.

The simplest thing I do, which anyone can do, is knee bends in front of the screen. I read the web while doing shallow knee bends. It moves a lot of mass with the biggest muscle groups.

Heh, I've actually taken to doing something similar...I surf the web while standing on a balance board. Makes reaching for the mouse an interesting experiment in maintaining balance.  :o ;D

Keunert

GJK: would you suggest to go running before breakfast? to burn more fat? or is this a little too hard on the body?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

GJK

Quote from: Keunert on March 07, 2013, 04:30:13 AM
GJK: would you suggest to go running before breakfast? to burn more fat? or is this a little too hard on the body?

Yes, I would.  As mentioned, when you awake and start to exercise on an empty stomach, your body has to more quickly go right to the fat reserves to fuel that output as there's no readily available glycogen in your system.  I have to get up at 5:15a.m. every morning as it is to be at my first service call of the day but if I didn't have to do that, I'd be getting up at that time to do morning cardio for sure.  I burned a lot of fat off that way a few years ago (as in those pictures).
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Gusington

I would do that too if not for work...I'm up to get to work at that ungodly hour anyway. So I have to settle for running in the evening. I still lost weight that way but I wonder how much I would have lost by running in the morning?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Shift work is what's messing me up.  I can't get to the gym on days when I work day shift as I have to leave before they open and they close about 30 min after I get home.  Night shifts are worse though as I tend to eat way more on those days and the stuff I end up eating tends to be convenience type stuff.  Lots if bad carbs, high sodium, etc.

The company put in a gym at work but my manager has a fit if any of my crew wants to use it during our shift.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

double post

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yes.

and yes.

6'0"

259 lbs.

27% body fat.

Mr. Bigglesworth

More than 1/4 lard? You better work on that before the ticker jams dude.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GJK

Excellent workout today - 2.5 hours in the gym for leg day.  Squat was up to 550lbs for 2 good and deep reps.  Not to brag (ok, I am :) but it's so motivating to have several guys in the gym stop their set to watch you get under 500+ lbs of free weights.  Felt great.  Feels like I have to put on a "performance" for them and not dissapoint.  So very motivating - it carried me on for the next 2 hours.  My legs were trembling as I limped out of the gym - another good sign.  Still retaining too much fat (hence the extra strength).  Haven't had my BF% measured as of yet, no guess where I'm at currently.  I'm alternating training days with cardio days at the moment since I just can't get up early enough to do morning cardio/evening training.  Cardio is usually the length of a movie in the cardio theater at moderate pace alternating between elliptical and treadmill with some jogging but mostly a brisk walk.  Body weight is at 285lbs and I'm right at 6'0" tall. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Silent Disapproval Robot

My knees can't take barbell squats anymore.  Too many years of rugby. 

I use a 45 degree seated incline squat machine with free weight plates.

I do:             12x 490lbs
                     10x 520lbs
                       8x 540lbs
                       6x 570lbs
                     12x 490lbs

Muscle mass has been much harder to keep on after I turned 35 or so.  It wants to go to blubber even though I keep the protein intake up and still do heavy lift sets 4 days/week.