Clint Eastwood on A Fistfull of Dollars

Started by Atilla60, July 03, 2018, 06:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atilla60

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

JasonPratt

So great. I should go back and watch a lot of those sometime soon.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Here's the sibling interview for Dollars More:

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Different interview on the Dollar films:

"One of the fundamental structures of the western which was demolished by this film, was the black and white structure of the good guy and the bad guy." -- that's the host, whose name I can't recall, but when people say that with a straight face I realize they either haven't watched many westerns preceding this or hadn't paid much attention. There was moral complexity even in the TV westerns of the day. Even when a protagonist might be purely good, the situations he (usually he) was being put into might have any amount of moral complexity (which, if he was purely good on the Lone Ranger model, he'd be expected to sort out.)

That interview is mostly great and hilarious (from Eastwood) in a good way, though.  O:-) Clint's John Wayne impression is a highlight.

besilarius

Somewhere, Eli Wallach did an interview on the Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.
According to him, Leone took Eastwood and himself to the set and then showed them their room.
They were so tightly funded, that the two of them had to share a room.  Even worse, it was a small room with only one bed.
He recalled that he and Clint stared at the bed for a moment, and then Eli, who was extremely liberal, said he'd take the left side.

He also said that the scene where his character is taking a bath when a gunman barges in was very difficult. 
The gunman was someone who had been shot by Eli earlier, and his brother killed.  He catches Eli in the bath and tells him who he is and why he is going to kill Eli.
Eli's character had a gun with him in the bathtub, and shoots the gunman before he is shot.  Then he says, "You come to shoot - shoot.  Don't talk."
Well for some reason this gave Eli a case of the giggles and he couldn't do the scene without breaking up.  Leone, who loved a good joke, enjoyed it, for about an hour and then lost patience.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.