Which first?

Started by BanzaiCat, April 15, 2018, 03:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Been eyeing a few models for months now but haven't quite been able to pull the trigger on any one of these. They're all pretty cool looking and would interest me, but I have no idea where to start.

I'm thinking the Akagi model is a bit much maybe for someone looking to get back into building models, but it doesn't really look all that complicated. I could be completely wrong.

Plus I know I need model cement and a good XACTO knife (I have a knife but no cement). What do you guys recommend for a model cement - or does it even matter?

What about filler/putty? JD I think you were using something like this for your Vulcan model. Something to fill cracks and such. Any recommendations are most welcome.

If you have recommendations for something other than the three above I'd love to hear them as well. I know it's about what I want to do and what I think is cool, but I want this to be enjoyable. Something to do on occasion other than board games. And an excuse to sniff glue of course.

Akagi model

EA-6B Prowler model

Stuka model

The Prowler might be simpler, but you experts would know better than I.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Barthheart

Staggerwing

Get the Akagi- and then kitbash it into a dieselpunk flying CV!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Ditch those three and go out and get a proper USS Enterprise like JD did.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Or the USS Discovery  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Or the 'never actually named' ship from Quark:

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

^Yo- Vomit Guy- waaazzaaaaap?

JudgeDredd

Prowler. 1/72 isn't a scale I particularly enjoy, but in modern fighters, it's plenty big enough.

Although this actual box shows as a 2016 model, that's for a new box. The actual mould comes from 1994 and was a Hasegawa kit originally.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1013707-revell-85-5270-stuka-ju-87g-1-tank-buster

My personal experience of Revell kits is they're alot of work - and not in a "detailed, plenty of parts" way...more in the "WTF does this go" and "Where's my filler?" way!

Having said that, the Prowler box is from 2000, but the mould is from 1979...so no spring chicken.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1013707-revell-85-5270-stuka-ju-87g-1-tank-buster

Here's a video of the making of the Stuka

Here's a "What's in the box" review of the intruder (not a great one...but gives you an idea)

As for the ship...that'll keep you busy for a while and is a new tool from 2014
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/464898-hasegawa-49227-aircraft-carrier-akagi

But Prowler all the way  O0

Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Thanks for the input, all - thanks too JD for the videos. I saw one or two on the Prowler but the guy was kind of silly so I didn't do much more searching. I figured everyone here would know best.  O0

Silent Disapproval Robot

My vote is for Outpost Gamma.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing