Age of Steam game

Started by rstites25, March 26, 2017, 12:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egg_salad

Quote from: jwoodall04 on May 08, 2017, 09:32:29 AM
I'll just move the blue cube in the SW for 1 if you want to move it along Mike. No access at work. I'll do a log when I get home, if not.

Done, then I moved a purple for 2.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

Woodall

Great Zimbabwe on sale at CSI, btw. $84.99. Doesn't seem like much of a sale, but I guess it is Splotter and you guys mentioned it recently.

rstites25

Cash + Income - Expenses

Rex:  $2 +$14 - $11 (3 links/8 shares) = $5
Mike: $4 +$8 - $10 (2 links/8 shares) = $2
l'amour: $1 + $8 - $9 (2 links/7 shares) = $0
Woodall: $3 +$9 - $10 (3 links/7 shares) = $2

Income Reduction:  I lose $2 to drop to $12

Goods Growth:

White: 2,3,2,5 =
Red/Purple for White-2
Red for White-3
(Tile B is not out)
Yellow for White-5
(Tile C is not out)

Black:  2,2,5,6

Blue/Purple for Black-2
Black/Blue for Black-F (purple)
Red for Black-5
Yellow for Black-6

Issue Shares:

I'll issue 1 share.

l'amour is up, followed by Woodall and then Mike.

rstites25

Quote from: egg_salad on May 07, 2017, 11:35:05 PM
Just played Brass this weekend.  I liked it.  You guys ever played?

Also noticed the App was on sale (through the 12th?):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cublo.brass&hl=en
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brass/id933026434?mt=8

Looks like it might have an online game option.   ;)

I've got the App downloaded to my phone. I tried to go through the tutorial quite awhile ago and I couldn't really get a sense of what to do. Then a few weeks ago, Heavy Cardboard did a teaching stream. I watched the rules explanation and things made a bit more sense. I tried playing through a game on the app and made it through the first era and quit due to losing interest.

I think that if I got the game out and tried to manually run through a game, I'd probably like it more. But there's a certain disconnect for me in economic games where my goal is "VP" rather than cash (or net worth). It seems like the goal of Brass ought to be maximizing profits given its subject matter rather than "VPs." I guess the VPs could be a proxy for what your long-term profitability is, but there's a mental disconnect for me in the conversion.

It's probably like Woodall's experience with FCM. Starting with automated rules enforcement rather than learning it and enforcing the rules myself was probably not the way to go.

I'd certainly be up for playing it with you guys at some point, though.

Woodall

Yeah, but Brass is actually an alright game. FCM sucks. (Brass is too long)

egg_salad

Well, I like Brass and FCM.

Woodall

I'm just playin' - it may be a fine game.

l'amour

I've never played it. Wallace is pretty dependable but I'm not desperate to try it. I've got the Wallace Gettysburg game on the way. Much more keen to try that.

rstites25

In case it got lost, l'amour is up to issue shares.

rstites25

Speaking of games to play going forward...

I'm wondering if giving 18XX a go again might be worth it? Mike, I think your AAC 1846 game went pretty smoothly, and I think us 4 could get through a game relatively quickly using a Google Docs and Board18(?). I think that would be much smoother than using Rails since the game could be accessed with merely internet access. I don't know how it is for rules enforcement, but at this point I feel pretty comfortable in the broadstrokes of 18XX rules generally (though I might miss some of the edge cases).

The best thing is that they have 1817, so we could eventually work our way up to that.  :-"

Woodall

I think the stock rounds are pretty slow, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. Only ever played 18AL and I feel like that certainly isn't the best representation of the genre. I did start a solo game of 1889 and it was better, but I never finished. Just wanted to check it out a bit. I own 18MEX, 1846, 1849, and 1889. All DTG! (used to own 18TN but stupidly sold it)

egg_salad

Quote from: rstites25 on May 09, 2017, 10:15:58 PM
Speaking of games to play going forward...

I'm wondering if giving 18XX a go again might be worth it? Mike, I think your AAC 1846 game went pretty smoothly, and I think us 4 could get through a game relatively quickly using a Google Docs and Board18(?). I think that would be much smoother than using Rails since the game could be accessed with merely internet access. I don't know how it is for rules enforcement, but at this point I feel pretty comfortable in the broadstrokes of 18XX rules generally (though I might miss some of the edge cases).

The best thing is that they have 1817, so we could eventually work our way up to that.  :-"

As long as we have a good google sheet to use, Board18 works ok.  Rules enforcement is almost nil, but we can handle that.

I gotta say, 1817 intrigues me, from just descriptions I have heard.

Woodall

I'm interested in 1817 as well, but probably not for a 'first' game. Also very interested in 1849 for its brutality. :)

egg_salad

Didn't we play 1830 already?  We've already been bloodied, right?

Woodall

I think 1830 is quite relaxed compared to 1849. We didn't really finish, btw. We started and that one fellow ditched us mid-game without a word.