No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capn Darwin

It sounds like everything is procedurely generated like Spore. So each world has a unique code(s) that bring it into being. Hence, it should always appear the same (depending on the depth of stored codes). I have not heard if the universe info is stored and shared from a server. If it is, it would be theoretically possible for player interactions to change the world in some way. Hopefully, we'll hear more details as it gets closer to launch.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

RooksBailey

If you can believe the mainstream game media, NMS is a real game.   ;D  Gamespot shares their gameplay impressions (for what those are worth):

"Like Minecraft."  Sort of figured that.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Rayfer

Very interesting video RB...thanks for posting.  Not sure what to think of this game. I'm sure there is more to come.

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  Wide-open sandboxes lose their luster and, for me, are only held together by one or more interesting story lines.  That's been true since I played the original Stardrive game back in 1988.

Shelldrake

18 min demo on IGN looks intriguing, but I agree that a storyline would be nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLcjvIQJns0
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

steve58

...and its up for pre-order ($60) on Steam..  Release date is June 21.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/275850
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on March 03, 2016, 02:26:09 PM
...and its up for pre-order ($60) on Steam..  Release date is June 21.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/275850

I was going to post yesterday when it was leaked that pre-orders would open today. I'm disappointed that there is no early access.  :knuppel2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

TacticalWargames

Quite like the look of it. However I have a sneaky feeling it will become abit repettitive and boring quickly.

Airborne Rifles

I saw this article recently. Brings up some interesting philosophical questions about a game like this at the end:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/artificial-universe-no-mans-sky/463308/

Rayfer

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on March 03, 2016, 03:23:08 PM
I saw this article recently. Brings up some interesting philosophical questions about a game like this at the end:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/artificial-universe-no-mans-sky/463308/

Thought provoking article AR.....thanks for sharing.

Barthheart

It looks really intriguing, but is it a Single player game or multi online? Seems, from that article you need to be connected to their servers to play....

steve58

I've read through a few NMS articles today and it appears that it will be 99.99999% SP.  Apparently there is a chance of running into fellow players, but the "universe" is so large it would be a rare event, so it sounds like its going to be impossible to hook up with friends.  I'm also still not totally sure about servers, but from what I read, it sounded like you'll be able to continue play offline.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Grim.Reaper

Something I likely will pick up for pre order at some point, once some of the cheap'o sites start selling it for a discount....$60 a little steep with little bonus in doing so.

Barthheart

Gog has for per-order too. Same $60. Same free better ship.

Might be interesting to try to multi-play as you can apparently share maps/discoveries... maybe have the group try to meet up at some common central point....

sandman2575

Will NMS support TrackIR? Or is it meant to be less 'flight simulator-y' than say, Elite: Dangerous?