10 Cloverfield Lane

Started by mirth, March 07, 2016, 03:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on March 07, 2016, 08:55:14 PM
^I liked it because the hipster douches got smashed into small hipster bits.

You're getting old Gus.... sounding grumpy.... go motorboat the wife... or something
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

That's part of the damned problem. Get off my lawn.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TacticalWargames

Jason what explains the space ship thingymajig then near the end?

JasonPratt

Alien invasion. The precise nature of the aliens hasn't been established, but the conglomerate was drilling for something that turned out to be alien yolk or similar fluid, and awoke the Cloverfield monster in the ocean by doing so. This also triggered the invasion.

Specifically the conglomerate was drilling for Seabed Nectar, a substance they discovered while harvesting seaweed for their Slusho chilled drink. The main character in Cloverfield was about to move to Japan, coincidentally, to work for Slusho. One researcher working on the rig discovered not only the monster but something so bad that he murder-suicided himself and his family -- in hindsight this was the coming alien invasion. (The Cloverfield monster destroys the rig soon afterward, in an interesting bit of sfx that fans can find online.) John Goodman's character ran across similar evidence, and also went somewhat crazy, wanting to protect his wife and daughter from it and losing them in the process (they were still alive at the start of the movie, just living in Chicago with a restraining order against him.)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Silent Disapproval Robot

A movie should be self contained.  If you need to go to additional sources to understand what was presented on screen, then the film is a failure of storytelling.

Anyway, there's really no mystery to 10 Cloverfield.  Guy brings a woman in to share his home, she trashes everything he values, destroys his friendship with his buddies, and then ruins his life.  How is this a surprise to anyone?

JasonPratt

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 25, 2016, 09:46:10 PM
A movie should be self contained.  If you need to go to additional sources to understand what was presented on screen, then the film is a failure of storytelling.

Tend to agree. Not a big fan of the only-hardcore-fans-will-ever-be-able-to-get-it mode of filmmaking; just providing the info so far as I stumbled across it one day while doing something else. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

I finally watched 10 Cloverfield Lane yesterday. It was good not great. Goodman's performance was excellent. He's become one of my favorite current actors.

I liked how it went from horror to an action flick at the end. Mary Elizabeth Winstead made a solid action heroine and I kept thinking how her pop, John McClane, would be proud.

I'd be much more interested in seeing the second chapter of her story that starts as the movie ends.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Steelgrave

Haven't seen it yet but it's on my short list and that mostly because of Goodman. Seriously, that guy steals every scene he's in. Go back and watch Red State if you haven't seen it already. Goodman makes an average thriller well worth watching all by himself.

Gusington

I enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane more than the original Cloverfield, but the original did not annoy me as much as it annoyed others.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on March 13, 2017, 09:01:15 AM
I enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane more than the original Cloverfield, but the original did not annoy me as much as it annoyed others.

Hipster doofus.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

You know my go to line for that.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on March 13, 2017, 12:47:55 PM
You know my go to line for that.

Something about my dead mother?

Gusington

Nothing about her. Just a reference. Don't force my hand!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Steelgrave