What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Between Two Giants-- WWII in the Baltics by Prit Buttar.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jamus34

Re-reading the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson to prep for the release of the 3rd book in the series this fall.

Also found out a new book of the Red Rising series is coming out. While not a huge fan of that series I'll probably read the new one regardless.

Also the endless wait for the next Dresden novel.
Insert witty comment here.

Pinetree

I'm about halfway through Endgame, book 7 of the Red Gambit series. This is alt-history done right.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Pinetree on March 25, 2017, 04:42:08 PM
I'm about halfway through Endgame, book 7 of the Red Gambit series. This is alt-history done right.

I've been eyeing this series. What makes it good?

Pinetree

The author has done a huge amount of research and nails it. He gets the technology and tactics right plus the strategic stuff seems very plausible. The battles are pretty brutal too. The writing's not too bad to start with and it improves as the series continues. Book 7 was going to be the last one but he couldn't fit it all in so there's now going to be one more.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

OJsDad

Just got done reading Arthur C. Clarkes Superiority.  Short read you can find here;

http://www.mayofamily.com/RLM/txt_Clarke_Superiority.html
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Quote from: OJsDad on March 26, 2017, 02:26:37 PM
Just got done reading Arthur C. Clarkes Superiority.  Short read you can find here;

That's a great story.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

Had you read that before Mirth.

For those of you that haven't, it's a very short story, maybe 3 pages if it was in paper back book format. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

I had read it before. Couple different times.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Pinetree on March 26, 2017, 12:01:16 AM
The author has done a huge amount of research and nails it. He gets the technology and tactics right plus the strategic stuff seems very plausible. The battles are pretty brutal too. The writing's not too bad to start with and it improves as the series continues. Book 7 was going to be the last one but he couldn't fit it all in so there's now going to be one more.

Thanks! Need to check this out.

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on March 26, 2017, 05:41:29 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on March 26, 2017, 02:26:37 PM

That's a great story.

+1 I had never read that before.

Better is the enemy of good. - Engineer's creed.

mirth

After Bob mentioning it, I am re-reading Carlos D'Este's Decision in Normandy, which I had forgotten I own in hardcover.  :crazy2:

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

besilarius

http://www.oregonlive.com/books/index.ssf/2017/03/tides_jonathan_white_review.html

Tides is really very interesting.  Seeing how mankind, including savants like Isaac Newton, have tried to understand the nature and mechanisms of Tides is actually a great story.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

Anyone here read The Historian? I am thinking of reading that next.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd