We got your back we all belong let's all rise to the FRIDAY code

Started by MetalDog, August 28, 2020, 06:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Got a boat load of chores this weekend, so, gaming may be light.  It'll be a choice of Civ IV BtS mp, dueling in the Arena, or continuing my campaign in Pillars of Eternity.  Happy weekend, Grogs!  Everybody stay safe out there.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Rayfer

Interesting song choice MD...didn't think I was going to like it at the beginning but it grew on me, something new and different.  Gaming will be Grand Tactician Civil War.

Gusington

I'm feeling Japanese - I really think so! Began a Rise of the Samurai campaign - I want to purify the home islands with an army of warrior monks and bowmen. Also set to begin Aragami and Eastern Exorcist.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Man, I just don't track time like I used to.  Felt like Sunday was only two days ago to me.

Am kinda "meh," gaming-wise, so think I'll "unthink," things and plop the ol' Sniper Elite back on the HD and revel in the slow-mo nut shots on Adolph's Boys.  Hell, maybe chuck the zombie version of SE back on there too. 

Anyways, have a good weekend folks!

Anguille

Not sure if and what i am going to play as my main computer needs a break...

Have a good weekend fellows.

Gusington

Anyone playing Control? Finally on Steam for around 30.00 for the 'total control' edition.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Quote from: Rayfer on August 28, 2020, 07:16:33 AM
Interesting song choice MD...didn't think I was going to like it at the beginning but it grew on me, something new and different.  Gaming will be Grand Tactician Civil War.

Thank you, Rayfer.  It sounded very exotic, martial, and uplifting to me and I thought it might strike a few of you as interesting at the every least.  The band, minus the singer, hail from Mongolia.

I wish you luck with Grand Tactician.  I want all of you to like it very much so I can ease my conscience when I spend the money to buy it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

al_infierno

Lately my big timesink has been Crusader Kings 2, working through a campaign where I started as King Stefan I of Serbia around 1195.  This is my first time playing as a "good guy" dynasty, focusing almost all my family members on Learning and trying to pump out as much Piety as humanly possible.  I'm not really "doing" a huge amount in strategic terms, but it's strangely less boring than I expected.  I'm almost at 1400 now and have a solid 10k demesne levy plus 5k retinue ready to stomp on the dying Sunni Byzantine Empire.  I've only grabbed a grand total of 3 provinces (including Byzantium's coveted merchant republic, which they REALLY made me bleed for), but now I'm poised to become master of, like, at least 1 or 2 of my neighbors before the 1453 end date.   :crazy2:

I've preordered Crusader Kings 3, since I knew I was bound to cave and buy it at some point or another, but the recent marketing leaves a weird taste in my mouth.  I know they've been leaning into the memes of the CK fanbase for quite some time, but I find it a little strange how much they've made incestuous relationships a default feature of the game.  In CK2 cousin marriages were pretty common (as they were IRL), but the player basically had to initiate the weirder stuff like brother-sister romantic relationships.  I've only checked out a few CK3 videos, and I swear every one of them shoved some random pop-up event in your face offering you to bang your immediate family member, or informing you that your immediate family members are banging each other and offering to let you join.  It really feels like Paradox are going hand-over-fist trying to appease this weird subset of the fanbase who just want to play the game as an incest simulator.  I much prefer that they keep their focus on the political strategy-RPG core that eats up hours upon hours of my life.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Hopefully it's just a marketing thing that makes it look more prominent than it actually is...

Speaking of Control, I've just picked it up on Steam.  No idea what the deal is, but it looks a bit Max Payne-ish with superpowers.  For half the price of a Triple-A game, it's hard to go wrong.  Plus, I had a spare $60 sitting around my Steam account from refunding Flight Sim.  (I didn't like how it forced me to install the game files on my root drive regardless of where the launcher is installed, as I typically install larger games on an alternate SSD.)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on August 28, 2020, 10:15:27 AM
Anyone playing Control? Finally on Steam for around 30.00 for the 'total control' edition.

No control, but some Command Ops 2, CLOD Tobruk, Age of Sail and HLL and board games.

Gusington

Control on sale at Green Man for about 27.00. Grabbing it in a few minutes. Will be my Halloween season go-to.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Myrmidon

Dominions 5 MP for me.  In between that, I began a CK2 game myself last weekend as the Duke of Toulouse, 1066.  William the Conqueror succeeded in defeating the Anglo-Saxons, but ultimately lost to Harald Hardrada, which means "England" along with Normandy is under the control of the Norse.  Good times.

Things were stable, until I started banging my brother's wife, got her pregnant twice, and got caught (oops).  Had some legitimate twins from the actual wife right before dying of smallpox, and now having some succession crises with a 3 yr old Duke and a regency in control.  Whilst the King of France is off fighting a holy war in Muslim Spain, Moors are pillaging Northern France.  Oh yeah, the former wife, who is my Duke's mom, is now queen of France.

Love this game.   

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on August 28, 2020, 10:15:27 AM

I'm digging it quite a bit so far, the combat is real tight and smooth.  It reminds me enough of Max Payne to feel nostalgic, but the focus on superpowers and faster movement definitely makes it feel different and new.  The movement is a little clunky in places due to being a console port.  I'd prefer if you were fighting regular human enemies instead of mindless husks or whatever, but that's all well and good.

The story is pretty fun and engaging, but like most triple-A games, it seems like they were trying to make a good film with interactive combat sequences.  It could do with a lot less exposition in the first hour of the game.  Speaking of Max Payne, there was an annoying little dream sequence with a puzzle that tripped me up for a couple minutes -- nothing too hard to figure out, but on principle I really don't like show-stopping puzzles in shooter games like the dream sequences in Max Payne.  Just another personal preference though.  Definitely worth the $30 for me so far, but I think I'll be playing it in short bursts.

I like the main character's voice actress, but the character's personality seems a bit cardboard so far.

- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd