Main Menu

Shadow Empire

Started by Jarhead0331, April 08, 2020, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

New beta! V 1.12 is out. Some QOL changes and lots of tweaking, including one that may really boost the AI. All this just in time, too. I just finished my SE campaign yesterday. Now I can start a new SE game and not have to figure out which of my many unplayed games to try.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

bobarossa

Crap, I just downloaded and installed the last patch at noon today and started a game! 
Was having trouble wrapping my head around Old World tutorials for the second time (character development) and decided to try something easier to get into.

joram

"Easier to get into...".   Oh boy, just you wait!

bobarossa

Quote from: joram on October 01, 2022, 09:49:56 AM
"Easier to get into...".   Oh boy, just you wait!
I've played it a lot since it came out so it's familiar territory.  Unfortunately, I rarely stick with it past 100 turns.  Something else shiny comes along when the game gets difficult :(

solops

Patch v1.12a is out, fixing a bug that came up in v1.12. Been playing a while now and things are moving right along. I have gone from starting games with a single city, to starting with two cities and an army in each. It seems to help accelerate the transition to nation v nation contests and cuts back on the early problem of a single monster wrecking your entire expansion.

bobarossa

Feels like the recent patches have really killed the economy.  I am unable to make almost any money off selling resources or finished goods (machines).  I am 20 turns in and the traders were only willing to buy about 15 credits of stuff from me.  If I hire any more people to staff buildings I will start losing money.  Also I can't accumulate enough money to nationalize the Truck Station so I can double my logistics points.  Have no idea how to grow any further without getting private industry to grow significantly (or raise income tax).

bobarossa

Solved my logistics problem by disbanding the private Train Station and building a public one.  Everything that wasn't in the capital lost supply for one turn.  Fortunately wasn't at war with anyone at the time.  Of course I then got the 1000 credit fate card and after playing that I got the Black Market event which gives me 100 credits per turn (nearly twice what I had been earning from taxes!).

solops

The economy is tighter, but I did not have the severe problems your reported. I always made it a priority to de-privatize all my trucks ASAP after I got some iron production going. I am having more problems with the AI after getting to 4-6 cities than I used to. They seem to be a bit tougher and I am getting multiple opponents more often. If they have a poor attitude to you ( Cold or Hostile) your options are limited and war is usually coming. It can be staved off if you have enough money or if you completely recofigure your own government, but that is a mess..

Sparhawk

I recently had a world where an AI major regime was much more powerful than I expected. When relations started to tank sooner than I was prepared for. Having no mechanized infantry yet, no grenadiers, and struggling to stockpile enough iron to create Armored formations. I could only prepare for defense by creating as many heavy machinegun brigades as possible when I knew war was imminent to prevent being rolled over on an extended border. Two other major's turned hostile as well. I managed to increase my relation number with them enough to prevent a multiple front war as I dealt with the first. The relation with each of the other major's ended up at 70. So even with a hostile disposition I was able to prevent them from invading me.

bobarossa

Quote from: Sparhawk on October 09, 2022, 04:08:44 PM
I recently had a world where an AI major regime was much more powerful than I expected. When relations started to tank sooner than I was prepared for. Having no mechanized infantry yet, no grenadiers, and struggling to stockpile enough iron to create Armored formations. I could only prepare for defense by creating as many heavy machinegun brigades as possible when I knew war was imminent to prevent being rolled over on an extended border. Two other major's turned hostile as well. I managed to increase my relation number with them enough to prevent a multiple front war as I dealt with the first. The relation with each of the other major's ended up at 70. So even with a hostile disposition I was able to prevent them from invading me.
So how did the all MG defence fair?  Did the enemy have any tanks?

solops

Quote from: bobarossa on October 09, 2022, 04:56:16 PM
Seahawk's experience mirrors mine. It gets ugly. Without enough iron and production points all I could do is add bazookas to the MG formations to counter enemy armor and try to stall. It does not always work. It is a race to get some armor battalions deployed before your replacement pool is depleted.

Sparhawk

Quote from: bobarossa on October 09, 2022, 04:56:16 PM
They had what seemed to me as doom stacks of assault infantry, 1800-2000 infantry supported with 30-50 light tanks formed into regiments. I was mostly just ahead of them technology wise. Charged gauss compared to gauss. My HMG brigades held very well as long as I didn't spread them to thin, or allow them to get flanked, single battalions would often give ground. It was suicide to attack with them. I saved enough manpower to form two armored brigades when I could spare the metal. They were very good at breakthroughs and defeating units in detail with infantry support. When I was able to start forming grenadier formations my offense took off, I find them very versatile.
Shadow Empire still holds surprises for me even after nearly 1000 hours. This was the first instance where an opponent with similar population was able to nearly overwhelm me with numbers. The most usual scenario I would find gaps in the front to exploit. Not this time it was touch and go for awhile.

joram

DasTactic dropped a new 'Tutorial for Beginners' video.  Pro tip, fast forward to minute 13 to get started. 

https://youtu.be/-czjk-OKacg

TitusGroen

Quote from: joram on October 11, 2022, 04:13:13 PM
DasTactic dropped a new 'Tutorial for Beginners' video.  Pro tip, fast forward to minute 13 to get started. 

https://youtu.be/-czjk-OKacg

Ah.  the classic Das experience.