Main Menu

Shallow Space

Started by Anguille, August 15, 2014, 09:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

Does it mean it will be removed from the library, even if i paid for it?

Gusington

:buck2:

I hope it doesn't get removed from paying customers' libraries...that sounds very illegal.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sigwolf

Quote from: Gusington on September 18, 2021, 12:52:26 PM

I hope it doesn’t get removed from paying customers’ libraries...that sounds very illegal.

No. they never remove games from user's libraries.  It can be (and likely should be) just removed for new purchases.  I have a lot of games in my Steam library that are no longer for sale, and they can still be installed and played normally unless they relied on third party servers to function.  For example, I can still install Marvel Heroes Omega from my Steam account, but it won't do any good because the it was online only, and the developers permanently shut down the servers.  Steam won't pull it from your library even if the developers cripple it.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Sigwolf on September 18, 2021, 02:03:58 PM

I hope it doesn't get removed from paying customers' libraries...that sounds very illegal.

No. they never remove games from user's libraries.  It can be (and likely should be) just removed for new purchases.  I have a lot of games in my Steam library that are no longer for sale, and they can still be installed and played normally unless they relied on third party servers to function.  For example, I can still install Marvel Heroes Omega from my Steam account, but it won't do any good because the it was online only, and the developers permanently shut down the servers.  Steam won't pull it from your library even if the developers cripple it.

That's not quite true. If you read the terms and conditions Steam has the power to do basically anything they want, including revoke games at will. You're not buying games on Steam, you're buying a license to play the games. This is the same way digital movie, book, and music purchases work. There have been some rare instances of Steam revoking games from user accounts, including the ability to download them again. IN PRACTICE this almost never happens, but in theory it can at any time. That's why it's Blu-rays, physical media, and GOG all the way down for me, baby... (I buy tons of stuff on Steam to be clear, but it's not my first choice if I can get it elsewhere for that reason)

Yskonyn

I find it amusingly ironic that the discussion of possibly raising one's pitchfork against Steam this way is done in a thread of an atrocious abortion of a game.  :DD
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 18, 2021, 02:59:52 PM
I find it amusingly ironic that the discussion of possibly raising one's pitchfork against Steam this way is done in a thread of an atrocious abortion of a game.  :DD

I'm not defending this flaming dumpster fire of a game or getting up in arms about it possibly one day being taken off Steam. Just making a general point about your rights over digital goods that you're purchasing. No digital marketplace is forever, and if one day you just lose access to it, the terms and conditions generally give you no recourse.

Yskonyn

No explanation necessary. It also wasn't a stab at you. On the contrary; thanks for making me smile!
Still doesn't make the thing any less amusing.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

I supported it. You win some you lose some. It's just a game at the end of the day. This is the second space RTS game I have been burned by however. Also pretty much the only games I have been burned in early access by thus far that I remember.

Shallow Space and Legends of Pegasus.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

mbar

At least Legends of Pegasus was a quick death. A real shame too. Devs never even gave it a chance after release. Which means they never intended to.

Sigwolf

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on September 18, 2021, 02:28:12 PM
Quote from: Sigwolf on September 18, 2021, 02:03:58 PM

I hope it doesn’t get removed from paying customers’ libraries...that sounds very illegal.

That's not quite true. If you read the terms and conditions Steam has the power to do basically anything they want, including revoke games at will. You're not buying games on Steam, you're buying a license to play the games. This is the same way digital movie, book, and music purchases work. There have been some rare instances of Steam revoking games from user accounts, including the ability to download them again. IN PRACTICE this almost never happens, but in theory it can at any time. That's why it's Blu-rays, physical media, and GOG all the way down for me, baby... (I buy tons of stuff on Steam to be clear, but it's not my first choice if I can get it elsewhere for that reason)

Well, in over 15 years on Steam with more than 1700 titles, I have never had anything removed from my account, so I am not losing sleep over it.   8)

To put it another way, if you read the terms and conditions of the universe, it can send a meteor that will wipe out all life on Earth.  In practice it's unlikely to happen, but in theory it can at any time.  Then all the physical media and GoG titles in the world won't do anyone any good.   :hide: :DD

I get your point, and I am also a fan of physical media, and DRM free options like GoG.  I have a large DVD/Blu-ray collection for video because it is still an option.  With PC games, however, physical media is rarely an option any more, and GoG's catalog is hardly exhaustive.  When I get something on Steam, I don't worry that GabeN is gleefully rubbing his palms waiting to arbitrarily remove it in the future.

But back to the topic... No one needs to worry about losing access to Shallow Space if they purchased it.  It won't see any more updates, and since the publisher itself has listed it as a cancelled early access project, the listing should indeed be pulled from the Steam catalog.  This would not affect those that have already bought it, as they would still be able to play and/or download it in the future.  Delisted games don't even lose their discussion boards, so nothing would be lost for those that own it.

Gusington

This is sig worthy: "To put it another way, if you read the terms and conditions of the universe, it can send a meteor that will wipe out all life on Earth.  In practice it's unlikely to happen, but in theory it can at any time."  :notworthy:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

I always thought a strike by a life-killing meteor was a statistical certainty. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but the word on the street is that it has happened before and given the timelessness of the universe and the vast quantity of flotsam and jetsam among he stars, it is really only a matter of time...but I guess I digress.  :-X
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on September 19, 2021, 10:16:15 AM
This is sig worthy: "To put it another way, if you read the terms and conditions of the universe, it can send a meteor that will wipe out all life on Earth.  In practice it's unlikely to happen, but in theory it can at any time."  :notworthy:

Who reads the terms and conditions ?

We all clicked 'accept' and this is were it got us.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 19, 2021, 02:07:03 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 19, 2021, 10:16:15 AM

Who reads the terms and conditions ?

We all clicked 'accept' and this is were it got us.

I never clicked, my mom did.