Guys, there's a War Total Rome game coming! ...uh, Total Rome War. um...

Started by JasonPratt, March 26, 2021, 04:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Creative Assembly has made some baffling moves before, but releasing a remaster of RTW1 is... ... ...well, it's $15 (on Steam) if you already own the game (until May 31st), and otherwise $30. I can't think of what else to say about it that would be relevant.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/885970/Total_War_ROME_REMASTERED/

In case you're wondering, RTW2Emp is still $60.

Is there some rationale for this? Does this essentially make Emporium Barborium and other early super-mods more playable (perhaps again)? Even if it does, why bother? (Aside from the arguably superior musical score. And flaming war pigs.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Don't forget the Barbarian Invasion expansion, which is epic. And the Alexander expansion, which I've never played.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 26, 2021, 04:02:20 PM
Aside from the arguably superior musical score. And flaming war pigs.

Just answered your own question there

IICptMillerII

I try to avoid commenting on things I do not like, but, RTW2 is the largest pile of actual fetid crap I ever had the misfortune of buying into. There are few purchases I regret more. And yes, I have tried the newest versions, and yes, I have tried the mods that supposedly "fix" the game. All bunk.

Rome 1 was not perfect, but I loved every second of it 15 years ago when I first played it, and I still love it today. I instantly pre-ordered this remaster and I cannot wait to get my hands on it and play it. I really don't care that I am essentially paying again for a game I already own. In the case of Rome 1, it is more than worth it for me.

Destraex

With the state of the total war franchise at the moment I would consider it! I am on the cusp of pre-ordering it.

It is well known that I hate how the more recent total war titles handle the 3D troop tactical aspect of the game. You don't get to watch your troops fight, you just see black ants at almost any distance and you may as well be playing bean counter flag watcher total war.

I am really hoping that this Rome1 remastered is a test to see if the devs should go back to making Total War games the way they should be made. With the focus on improving battles and a better graphics engine. They should realise that putting a gazillion troops in a battle does not matter if you cannot enjoy watching your troops and becoming attached to them. Get total war out of Ivory Tower mode and put it back down in the dirt with the troops.

Here is a video to highlight some of the features rome1 had that the newer total war games no longer have! Including battlefields generated based on where the armies clash rather than the limited selection in the more modern total war games.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Quote from: IICptMillerII on March 26, 2021, 06:48:56 PM
I try to avoid commenting on things I do not like, but, RTW2 is the largest pile of actual fetid crap I ever had the misfortune of buying into. There are few purchases I regret more. And yes, I have tried the newest versions, and yes, I have tried the mods that supposedly "fix" the game. All bunk.

Rome 1 was not perfect, but I loved every second of it 15 years ago when I first played it, and I still love it today. I instantly pre-ordered this remaster and I cannot wait to get my hands on it and play it. I really don't care that I am essentially paying again for a game I already own. In the case of Rome 1, it is more than worth it for me.
I imagine my problem is that I am not afraid of commenting when I do not like something. People do not like negativity because their is often a perception that a person is just "hating" on something. I think their is a difference between constructive negative comment and simple negativity towards something that others enjoy.
But I really do like to see what people like as well as do not like here so I know what interests them when I post. If we had likes and dislikes like youtube at least you would know if people who do not post find your comments useful or interesting.

MengJiao

The really wonderful, delightful thing about Rome total war II is how much people have hated it.  It's worth having it get reissued just so I can wonder at the hate all over again.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on March 26, 2021, 07:58:25 PM

I imagine my problem is that I am not afraid of commenting when I do not like something. People do not like negativity because their is often a perception that a person is just "hating" on something. I think their is a difference between constructive negative comment and simple negativity towards something that others enjoy.
But I really do like to see what people like as well as do not like here so I know what interests them when I post. If we had likes and dislikes like youtube at least you would know if people who do not post find your comments useful or interesting.

I find all comments useful and interesting and I can hardly wait for the years and years of constructive negativity to be redirected at Rome Total War.
It just makes such perfect target somehow.  And now an even more perfect perfect target being reissued in a baffling manner.

Let me hasten to add that I probably have had more fun playing Rome Total War II than any other game -- though I can see why it might deserve most of the constructive negativity directed at it.  This weird re-issued is just perfect for being constructively detested.  I'm so happy and satisfied with all the constructive negativity already.

Destraex

Meng. I thank you for your constructive negativity just then  :clap:
Can I ask if you play it for the tactical battles primarily?

Sparhawk

I'm very excited about the changes. Though later releases have their own merits (I particularly enjoy Warhammer II). I believe Rome and Medieval II were the pinnacle of the "Old style of Total War". Medieval I with expansions was exceptional during it's time. Though I feel I would need more than my current reading glasses to see the figures during tactical battles if I were to play now.

AchillesLastStand

Got RTW at Best Buy the day it came out and never bought the Steam version{which apparently is not available}. Still may dish out 30 for this, all of the improvements look sweet.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on March 26, 2021, 08:57:13 PM
Meng. I thank you for your constructive negativity just then  :clap:
Can I ask if you play it for the tactical battles primarily?

Good question.  For about the last two years I played it, I only played Rise of the Republic and mostly only to photograph tactical battles.  I do recall my favorite battle long ago, when I had a pretty good though small force of armored horsemen and faced a larger army of not-quite-so-armored horse men.  I dismounted my lancers (not called that) in the woods and commanded from the very point of the disposition and managed a win against what seemed like big odds.  I have to say that I've never thought of Rome total War II as a very serious game -- I think it has to be played with a lot of childish glee -- but that's why I like it.  Same for World of Warships and War Thunder.  For serious games, I play boardgames.

Gusington

Achilles the Steam version is available, it's a bundle with Barbarian Invasion and the Alexander expansions.

I actually do not own it on Steam...physical copy only. So I don't qualify for the discount, which kind of annoys me. The really old school fans are kinda getting the shaft here.

Maybe I'm just feeling a bit Abe Simpson today.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

I get the impression that a lot of people on the Steam forum are confused about it being Rome 1 being re-skinned, rather than Rome 2.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Gusington on March 27, 2021, 10:29:20 AM
Achilles the Steam version is available, it's a bundle with Barbarian Invasion and the Alexander expansions.

I actually do not own it on Steam...physical copy only. So I don't qualify for the discount, which kind of annoys me. The really old school fans are kinda getting the shaft here.

Maybe I'm just feeling a bit Abe Simpson today.

Yes, it is on Steam but oddly there is no purchase button.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/4760/Rome_Total_War__Collection/