Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Their world modelling decisions just confound me.

I'm all about immersion in the sim world around the player.  The DCS flights of fancy, or lack of context, often make me scratch my head. 

After being addicted to WOFF so much this past year, it has made me realize just how important a good campaign environment is to my enjoyment of a sim.  I wish there were more which placed such high value on that facet.   

I suppose it will just be WOFF and maybe Falcon BMS in my forseeable future, as far as preferred flight sims go.

Yskonyn

I don't need a cinematic experience or a story being told for my campaigns in sims, but I do need to be able to get immersed somehow or it will end up being pretty procedural.
I totally agree Falcon does a good job. With the radio chatter, theater of Ops that is alive with units on the ground and in the air. It all flows dynamically.

DCS has this option as well, but the amount of hard work needed to get something done in the Mission Editor (there is no Dynamic event generating, you will have to manuallycreate Triggers) coupled with the fact that its UI is a pain to use for anything that involves precise placement of units, make it that nobody does it.

Then we haven't even touched upon the fact that the map is just too small and I am not too sure the Nevada map will change this...
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

republic

I'm probably not going to buy any more modules until the new engine is finally released.  The Nevada terrain in itself doesn't really interest me at all.  I can't see how it will remain interesting for long.

I like the idea of early jets, hopefully we can fly them in a theater they were actually in.  If we get Korea with some more Korean War Era jets...I can see my wallet taking quite a beating.  :)

JudgeDredd

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 26, 2014, 12:40:05 AM
I really wanted to support DCS and I bought the P51 even though I had zero interest in a WWII era in that world - but I have to say, things have been incredibly slow and they are going in a different direction (well...at least not in MY direction) that I had wanted the world to continue down - so I WILL (hear that UCG - I WILL) not be buying any other products until they work on the world.

That might not be the most lucrative part for them - but they may find out that's the case when other people stop buying their modules in protest over the lack of a credible environment and campaign system....either dynamic or otherwise.

So I am not in for the moment.

(besides - I'd probably suck real bad at jet fighters with no AA missiles!)  :P
Having said that - I do have a 70% discount coupon from DCS.....mmm...... :-\
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I picked this up as I had a 70% discount. I was always a bit scared it was going to end up being invalid at some point.  :uglystupid2:
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 31, 2014, 04:23:07 PM
I picked this up as I had a 70% discount. I was always a bit scared it was going to end up being invalid at some point.  :uglystupid2:

Picked up what?  The F-86?

JudgeDredd

Yeah. MY coupon made it $14 (£10).

I'm not proud of myself  >:(
Alba gu' brath

MengJiao

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 01, 2014, 12:21:26 AM
Yeah. MY coupon made it $14 (£10).

I'm not proud of myself  >:(

It's a nice jet though.  I got the thing.  Not doing well flying it, though.  Pretty interesting.  Apparently the quirks of early jet engines got some modeling work.

Cougar_DK

Frooglesim takes a first look at the DCS Mig-21  :coolsmiley:

It looks really nice and advanced  :)

-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Cougar_DK on August 20, 2014, 09:34:49 AM
Frooglesim takes a first look at the DCS Mig-21  :coolsmiley:

It looks really nice and advanced  :)

This will be a day one buy for me. What's the word on release? I know Steam has it on for 10/1. Hopefully, it will be released directly by Eagle Dynamics before then.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Cougar_DK

Not sure, but it should be really soon  ;)
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

sandman2575

Nice vid!

Something about that blue instrument panel that just screams "Soviet engineering" to me.

Skoop

I have been in a don't care vibe about the mig 21, but now that release is imminent and all these videos and pics are coming out I might have to jump in.  I bet a plausible round of scenarios can be made where you fly this in a 80s version of a Georgian conflict.  Could actually be pretty fun with group of guys doing a2a and a2g in 21s and another group doing helo support in mi8s with another group controlling t-55s and bmps.  Could be fun until we get a phantom to do true east vs west scenarios in adversarial combat.   

MengJiao

Quote from: Skoop on August 20, 2014, 01:02:49 PM
I have been in a don't care vibe about the mig 21, but now that release is imminent and all these videos and pics are coming out I might have to jump in.  I bet a plausible round of scenarios can be made where you fly this in a 80s version of a Georgian conflict.  Could actually be pretty fun with group of guys doing a2a and a2g in 21s and another group doing helo support in mi8s with another group controlling t-55s and bmps.  Could be fun until we get a phantom to do true east vs west scenarios in adversarial combat.

I'd given up on it too, though it was the first thing that interested me in DCS.  I'm not sure what sort of missions I'll make for the MiG21 -- maybe as an Evil Advanced Technology fighter going after the MiG15 and/or F-86F.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on August 20, 2014, 01:26:42 PM
I'm not sure what sort of missions I'll make for the MiG21 -- maybe as an Evil Advanced Technology fighter going after the MiG15 and/or F-86F.

Stock DCS World comes with AI F-4s.  Although I think they are F-4E models are from Turkey and such.  Which is probably fitting since this MiG-21 looks to be a later model, having the larger "hump".