Wild Bill Wilder passes

Started by Michael Dorosh, September 01, 2020, 04:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Extremely sad.  I loved his games. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Shelldrake

A huge loss for the wargaming community...RIP  :'(
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

GroggyGrognard

Bill made such a big impact and was a fixture in the wargaming world. I remember spending gobs of enjoyable time with TOAW: Century of Warfare. Even to this day, TOAW game series holds as one of my favorites.

RIP. A giant among men.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Redwolf

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 01, 2020, 09:51:17 PM
If I remember correctly, he used to hang-out here on occasion. What a great loss we've suffered this day but the man made his mark on the world he loved for sure. I remember the very first scenario I ever played in the original CMBO was his excellent Michael Wittman at Villers Bocage. I was forever in love with that game after that. Thank you Wild Bill for some of the great joys of my life.  :'(

I liked that scenario so much I redid it for CM:BN. full credit to him, and name in the title. What's more fun than going to a shooting gallery in a Tiger tank?

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cm-battles-for-normandy/cw-twc-wild-bills-villers-bocage-tiger/

Wild Bill had a real eye for "fun" and wasn't scared to change or even ignore historical settings, force mixes, or whatever, in order to get the feel right. I remember his SPR scenario for CMBO as well. As a man-for-man recreation of the movie battle at Ramelle, it was nowhere close, but of course that was never the point. He put together a very nice matchup that invoked the 'last stand' vibe. I think he had pretty good vision when it came to that.

Sir Slash

I played your recreation of that scenario Michael. It was considerably scarier than Wild Bill's but I loved it.  :notworthy:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Old TImer

Very sad to hear this.  I was a big fan of "Wild" Bill's work on TOAW, Combat Mission, Steel Panthers and many others.
A true giant.  RIP Bill.

Boggit

Very sorry to hear this.

I had a good correspondence with him a few years back and we got on very well. When we last corresponded he had breathing issues but was always upbeat and positive. In his last few years he did a lot of voluntary work helping people in the prison system at a personal level. He was a good man and a fine example to us.

RIP. Gone but not forgotten.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Sir Slash

That's good to hear. Thanks Boggit.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.