Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Kushan, June 06, 2015, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

the new patch was released this morning and addresses the complaints posted above.

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/update-041-notes-downtime/
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Nefaro

QuoteFixed the bug related to the high detectability of the Bliss-Leavitt Mk7 mod2A torpedoes: the detectability was reduced from 1.6 km to 1 km

This brings up another Destroyer issue.

Their torpedoes get a longer detectability range as the ship tier gets higher.  For example, the torpedoes at Tier 5 have a detection range of something like 1.5 to 2km.  But at Tier 7+ the torpedoes.. even the same type.. have a detection range of 3+ km.

This torpedo detection range isn't a value listed in the data blocks but it's there. 

I'm sure those of you who have spent enough time in DDs to reach the upper tiers know how easy it can be to thwart medium & long range torpedo attacks just by occasionally varying speed and/or heading, and how difficult it can be to score hits while remaining out of detection range with Jap DDs. 

This extra penalty is another major issue with the higher tiers being worse than the earlier which needs to be addressed.   This patch looks mostly to be a nerf for some Japanese DD torpedo attacks & detectability overall, and to all DDs' damage modelling (more fires allowed, bow & stern hits even more dangerous, etc).  I admit there was a class or two that needed a bit higher detectability ranges but I have concerns about the increased damage potential they'll be taking and the higher tier drop-offs not being addressed.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 02, 2015, 09:22:15 AM
the new patch was released this morning and addresses the complaints posted above.

So carriers can no longer make undodgeable torpedo death blossom cross-drops (simultaneous drops at ~ right angles to each other) with 2 squads that will hit even a DD, say nothing about 3+ hits on a BB?   ::) 

Joking a bit here.  My only problem with carriers is that one good player can make a huge difference in a match and to counter that back to parity requires the efforts of multiple players on the other team.  Obviously good teamwork is hit and miss in pubs.   

Most carrier players go for the bomber heavy loadouts too.  I mean why wouldn't you want more XP, credits, and confederate awards?  If you get stuck in a match as the only carrier and have a fighter heavy loadout you are practically useless.   Thus, you don't have proper counters with fighter squadrons as well.    Perhaps the patch will help a bit. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on September 02, 2015, 09:52:43 AM

So carriers can no longer make undodgeable torpedo death blossom cross-drops (simultaneous drops at ~ right angles to each other) with 2 squads that will hit even a DD, say nothing about 3+ hits on a BB?   ::) 

Joking a bit here.  My only problem with carriers is that one good player can make a huge difference in a match and to counter that back to parity requires the efforts of multiple players on the other team.  Obviously good teamwork is hit and miss in pubs.   

Most carrier players go for the bomber heavy loadouts too.  I mean why wouldn't you want more XP, credits, and confederate awards?  If you get stuck in a match as the only carrier and have a fighter heavy loadout you are practically useless.   Thus, you don't have proper counters with fighter squadrons as well.    Perhaps the patch will help a bit.

I've seen experienced CV players kill high tier BBs at the start of the match numerous times, hitting with a single spread of manually dropped torpedoes which absolutely could not be dodged or steered into beforehand.  The issue being that they were dropped so close, there wasn't even time to get their rudder shift working before the fish activated and struck. 

All you need is two TBs heading in from different angles in a short time span, and good knowledge of where the torpedoes activate in the manual-aim cone.

Happened to me at least once, but I've seen some get hosed like this right off the bat while providing some AA support.  ~1.5 second to activation and about 2s to impact in a tight spread where nearly all of them hit.  With rudder shift times for those BBs at 25 to 32 seconds, they just can't turn into oncoming aircraft when there is more than one (and CVs can carry two or more from the first).

We're talking torpedo drop & activation in less than 1km, in a very concentrated cone.  Meanwhile.. Jap DD torpedo detection ranges are out at 3km or more at those tiers.

I wouldn't complain about this so much but I see other stuff getting nerfed while this big fat gorilla is still in the room.

RyanE

"Thing is most of the time players are just doing Call of Duty run and shoot type mentality."

I resemble that remark.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Nefaro on September 02, 2015, 10:05:25 AM
Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on September 02, 2015, 09:52:43 AM

I've seen experienced CV players kill high tier BBs at the start of the match numerous times, hitting with a single spread of manually dropped torpedoes which absolutely could not be dodged or steered into beforehand.  The issue being that they were dropped so close, there wasn't even time to get their rudder shift working before the fish activated and struck. 

All you need is two TBs heading in from different angles in a short time span, and good knowledge of where the torpedoes activate in the manual-aim cone.

Happened to me at least once, but I've seen some get hosed like this right off the bat while providing some AA support.  ~1.5 second to activation and about 2s to impact in a tight spread where nearly all of them hit.  With rudder shift times for those BBs at 25 to 32 seconds, they just can't turn into oncoming aircraft when there is more than one (and CVs can carry two or more from the first).

We're talking torpedo drop & activation in less than 1km, in a very concentrated cone.  Meanwhile.. Jap DD torpedo detection ranges are out at 3km or more at those tiers.

I wouldn't complain about this so much but I see other stuff getting nerfed while this big fat gorilla is still in the room.
About the only defense against this is panic from fighters/barrage that increases spread and messes with the drop timing a bit.  Sometimes you get lucky with attrition too and enough fighters are shotdown after the commit point.  However, I've also had the remaining TB still make a good drop and that one torp does me in  ;D 

Not to mention the ole, TBs first, wait 20 seconds till the flood repair is off and the then drop some bombs for 2 fires that do 30k damage.  There isn't anything you can do about that.  Either you take the flood damage and wait to see if they jump the gun (and they can see exactly when you use the repair by watching the ticking of the health bar) or take the fire damage later.

Aside from some manual drop alterations, a good start towards proper balance would be more of a credit/XP incentive to have carriers go fighter loadout and have cruisers execute proper AA support. 

Dread Rlyeh

So what mods are you chaps running with?  I installed a few from the Aslain mod pack - one of the gunsights with improved markings (can't remember offhand) and a minimap one that shows detailed ship info and (critically) last known position.  Oh, and a flag pack. 

I monkeyed around with a couple others, like the more visible torpedoes, but that doesn't do much for me and the weird neon splashes from near misses are pretty offputting and non-immersive.   

Tuna

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on September 02, 2015, 03:22:47 PM
So what mods are you chaps running with?  I installed a few from the Aslain mod pack - one of the gunsights with improved markings (can't remember offhand) and a minimap one that shows detailed ship info and (critically) last known position.  Oh, and a flag pack. 

I monkeyed around with a couple others, like the more visible torpedoes, but that doesn't do much for me and the weird neon splashes from near misses are pretty offputting and non-immersive.

Surprised that a game that is MP only would allow mods.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on September 02, 2015, 05:47:35 PM

There are many who've spoken against it, but the Developer seems to have made up their minds. 

I don't think it's a good idea either, in a competitively ranked multiplayer game either.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Nefaro on September 02, 2015, 07:01:11 PM
Quote from: Tuna on September 02, 2015, 05:47:35 PM

There are many who've spoken against it, but the Developer seems to have made up their minds. 

I don't think it's a good idea either, in a competitively ranked multiplayer game either.
I'm always 100% for pure cosmetic mods.  Take War Thunder for example - they don't allow the gameplay effecting mods of WOT, WOS, but you can skin (only you can see) your tank/plane.  I think that really enhances the experience.   I doubt many would argue with say, flag mods for WOS.

WOT, WOS, do allow various mods that have a tangle effect on gameplay.  Is a sight mod that has better coloring and finer graduation/full numbering game breaking?  I don't think so - WW2 ships had RADAR assisted fire control and primitive computers. 

The minimap (specifically the last reported position) is a bit tougher, but I don't have much of a problem with it.  A WW2 warship was comprised of a crew which aided each other - the captain is obviously going to be getting reports of sonar/radar/visual contacts and someone is going to be plotting them in a semi-permanent fashion or at least available to recite if asked.  The captain may be focused on one task while a lowly mate reports a contact off starboard.     

Nefaro

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on September 02, 2015, 07:27:33 PM

I'm always 100% for pure cosmetic mods.  Take War Thunder for example - they don't allow the gameplay effecting mods of WOT, WOS, but you can skin (only you can see) your tank/plane.  I think that really enhances the experience.   I doubt many would argue with say, flag mods for WOS.

WOT, WOS, do allow various mods that have a tangle effect on gameplay.  Is a sight mod that has better coloring and finer graduation/full numbering game breaking?  I don't think so - WW2 ships had RADAR assisted fire control and primitive computers. 

The minimap (specifically the last reported position) is a bit tougher, but I don't have much of a problem with it.  A WW2 warship was comprised of a crew which aided each other - the captain is obviously going to be getting reports of sonar/radar/visual contacts and someone is going to be plotting them in a semi-permanent fashion or at least available to recite if asked.  The captain may be focused on one task while a lowly mate reports a contact off starboard.     

User-created 3D skins?  No big deal as it doesn't affect gameplay... unless someone's using a buggy one that makes them crash and leaves their team one person short in a match, anyway.

But stuff that changes the interface, or more?  No.  If I want to be playing a competitive multi-player game, then I don't want to be constantly scouring for the latest & greatest Mod Soup to get a slight edge over others.  It's a Mod Arms Race and annoying at best, exploitation at worst.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2015, 01:09:04 AM
Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on September 02, 2015, 07:27:33 PM

User-created 3D skins?  No big deal as it doesn't affect gameplay... unless someone's using a buggy one that makes them crash and leaves their team one person short in a match, anyway.

But stuff that changes the interface, or more?  No.  If I want to be playing a competitive multi-player game, then I don't want to be constantly scouring for the latest & greatest Mod Soup to get a slight edge over others.  It's a Mod Arms Race and annoying at best, exploitation at worst.
I have no problem with mods improve that improve gameplay.  The stock gunsight, for example. is pretty trashy.  I like the ability to choose a version that both looks better and makes aiming easier. 

There will always be a subset of players (of competitive MP games) who will try to gain every advantage they can legally and "illegally".  In War Thunder you could (and maybe still can, dunno) set the graphics low and turn off foliage giving a tremendous advantage in RB.   While I did hold off a bit on RB because of this issue, when I did begin playing, I just decided I didn't care if some basement dweller was getting his jollies via this exploit.  I wanted my game to look the best it could and if on occasion I took a ludicrous hit while in heavy foliage, so be it, I still had a good time.  You don't have to buy into the "arms race" if you don't want to, the game (even competitive multiplayer) is what you make of it. 

I'm competitive when I'm playing WOS, but I care most about my gameplay experience vs trying to wring out every percentage point of advantage.   Zero time is spent looking for the best mods, I just ticked a checkbox for a gunsight, skins, flags, and the minimap from the Aslain mod installer and that was that.  The only downside is that new versions sometimes break the mods for a bit. 

Ultimately I'm happy Wargamming allows WOS modding as I think it enhances my enjoyment of the game.  I'm sure it puts me at a slight disadvantage in some cases, but so does going up against a squadron with teamspeak or even the whims of the matchmaker.  I do hope that they keep an eye on the modding and draw a line in the sand at aiming assist, and such of course.

Tuna

Well after the patch.. tried Carrier for a match today.. Did not hit a ship once in any of my torp runs.. so will not be playing Carriers for awhile.  >:(

GDS_Starfury

AAA across the board seemed to have been heavily buffed.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on September 04, 2015, 08:18:57 PM
Well after the patch.. tried Carrier for a match today.. Did not hit a ship once in any of my torp runs.. so will not be playing Carriers for awhile.  >:(

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 04, 2015, 10:20:00 PM
AAA across the board seemed to have been heavily buffed.

I know that some Destroyers were given the optional Barrage Fire special ability.  I think the duration on them were also extended.

So CAs and some DDs can quickly mow down planes and make them inaccurate for a longer time.