Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Kushan, June 06, 2015, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuna

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 19, 2015, 11:23:37 AM
I just got into a knife fight with 3 DDs while driving my Cleveland.  even though I took 2 torpedo hits I sank 2 and a teammate got the 3rd one.

Just earned my Cleveland this morning!

GDS_Starfury

upgrade it as fast as possible and ignore shooting at stuff thats farther then 10km.  get the main battery 1, gun fire control system, damage control 1 and damage control 2 modules.  they make life easier as everyone will be shooting at you first.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Nefaro

You can make ridiculous amounts of credits in the Cleveland once you get used to it's guns.

It also has the tiniest Citadel hit boxes of all the cruisers I've seen.  Difficult to hit for big numbers.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Nefaro on September 19, 2015, 06:03:19 PM
You can make ridiculous amounts of credits in the Cleveland once you get used to it's guns.

It also has the tiniest Citadel hit boxes of all the cruisers I've seen.  Difficult to hit for big numbers.
In addition to credits, it is excellent for obtaining confederate badges (10x +50% exp flags).   They are going to have to nerf something on it - great AA, fast, maneuverable, melts spotted destroyers, melts broadside non-cleveland cruisers with AP, with HE melts everything else (a bit slower), and to top it off, as mentioned, a robust cruiser that is forgiving of positioning.   

Dread Rlyeh

Speaking of the +50% xp flags from confederate, they pair amazingly well with the 3x!  This wasn't even that great of a match.

GDS_Starfury

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 19, 2015, 11:14:13 PM
Nice!!!
Thanks  :)  The Benson isn't too bad, but the upgraded torps are so slow.  Many times I've watched someone either barely dodge them or they sputter out if an enemy turns away.   The match above is a good chunk towards the Fletcher which I'm very much looking forward to. 

Aside from DD hunting, the US line has been a bit of a slog.   

GDS_Starfury

US DD's are gun heavy, IJN excels with torpedoes.

Dread Rlyeh

Now you tell me! 

The contrast between the two is a bit extreme, in my opinion, especially with higher tier carrier harassment.  It's literally only at T8+ that you can launch torps from outside detection range.   Using guns means everyone instantly knows where you are which is a  bit of a disadvantage obviously.  On top of that, DD turrets pop (permanently) left and right.   

Scouting and being a hero capping under smoke doesn't exactly net you much other than a "good job" in chat.  That glow soon fades vs say an extra 5 torp hits per match :)   

Nefaro

On a related DD note, I've witnessed the premium Russkie DD Gremyashchy firing from 10+km without ever being spotted for doing so.   ::)

I had one fire at me nearly half the match this way, once.  Only saw him a brief moment or two before he moved out of detection range where firing wouldn't even expose him.  He ended up doing the majority of the damage to my Battleship and I could never catch up or even see him after that.

Supposedly there are one or two US destroyers that can barely do this, with appropriate captain skills & modules, but rumor has it that it is far easier to do with the Gremlin.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Nefaro on September 20, 2015, 11:19:50 AM
Supposedly there are one or two US destroyers that can barely do this, with appropriate captain skills & modules, but rumor has it that it is far easier to do with the Gremlin.
The Benson at T8 can do it (like my game above) - with the camo and concealment system module I'm spotted at 6.5 (vs no detection module).   The upgraded torps have a range of 8.2, but run at... 52 knots.   You really want to be around 7 to launch.  Timing it so that you never exceed 6.6 but minimize their travel time is tricky.  Thankfully there are still plenty of bad players who either don't notice or aren't warned by teammates if you are spotted and continue on their course.

The upgraded torps hamstring you a bit as they require the B or C hulls which are 4 turrets vs 5.  The higher tier carriers have enough squadrons to really harass you (mainly via spotting), so I like to stay hidden as much as possible.  If one gets a wild hair and wants to focus you, your utility to the team is vastly diminished for the rest of the game. 

It is nice to have the option (as the game flow dictates) of hunting enemy DDs, though at the upper tiers players become a bit more wily.  I haven't played the Japanese line, but I highly suspect (given how much XP you get from torp hits) that the grind is greatly reduced.  T9 and X look to be pretty awesome though, so ultimately I think it will be worth it. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on September 20, 2015, 12:16:01 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 20, 2015, 11:19:50 AM
The Benson at T8 can do it (like my game above) - with the camo and concealment system module I'm spotted at 6.5 (vs no detection module).   The upgraded torps have a range of 8.2, but run at... 52 knots.   You really want to be around 7 to launch.  Timing it so that you never exceed 6.6 but minimize their travel time is tricky.  Thankfully there are still plenty of bad players who either don't notice or aren't warned by teammates if you are spotted and continue on their course.

Yes, but I'm talking about firing the DD's guns and still not being detected.  That generally adds 4+km to the detection range when the guns are firing, so most DDs can't fire guns without being detected.  Firing torpedoes doesn't add any extra detection range to them.

I actually have my Tier 8 Fubuki's detection range down to 6km... and it has 15km range torpedoes.  >:D  But if I ever fire it's guns, I will be detected out to, and probably past, it's maximum gun range. 

The Gremyashchy has such long gun range (and high velocity ones too) that it can continuously fire from long range and not be detected.  When you're on the receiving end of this constant invisible firing, it can get pretty frustrating after awhile.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Nefaro on September 20, 2015, 12:21:06 PM
Yes, but I'm talking about firing the DD's guns and still not being detected.  That generally adds 4+km to the detection range when the guns are firing, so most DDs can't fire guns without being detected.  Firing torpedoes doesn't add any extra detection range to them.

Ah, gotcha.  I haven't seen too many of them thankfully and I'm not sure if I've ever seen other captains speced for this.  The numbers would work for the Benson (for example) as you could get out to 13+ km with upgrades and advanced fire training.   

Nefaro

Announcement:

QuoteWe're pleased to announce the Russian destroyer branch will be joining the World of Warships armada starting October 19, alongside the previously announced German cruisers. The Russians' hard-hitting cannons and great accuracy render even the fastest and most evasive targets sinkable. Strong anti-aircraft armament and rapid turret rotation make these new vessels excellent candidates for precision attack runs.

Let's see how the "Russian Bias" stands out this time around.   ^-^