Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Kushan, June 06, 2015, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

So when I first got my Tirpitz, I noticed my salvos were all over the place. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Individual turret fire was almost as bad as one big salvo or ripple fire. WTF? Now whether because ... oh I don't know my ship commander getting higher experience??? the spread seems to be getting manageable. I now hit with regularity, 3-7 shells. Is there a game mechanic that tightens up the patterning as the Comm. gets more experienced?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Hancock

Quote from: Windigo on June 20, 2016, 03:46:03 PM
So when I first got my Tirpitz, I noticed my salvos were all over the place. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Individual turret fire was almost as bad as one big salvo or ripple fire. WTF? Now whether because ... oh I don't know my ship commander getting higher experience??? the spread seems to be getting manageable. I now hit with regularity, 3-7 shells. Is there a game mechanic that tightens up the patterning as the Comm. gets more experienced?

Gun Fire Control Modification 1 upgrade: -7% max dispersion of main battery

Like all the big gun ships, the tricks to long range aiming accuracy are specific to each ship.  When I first sailed the Tirpitz, I was aiming at water line and shots were mostly going long.  So I aimed just below/before water line and began to hit more frequently  Then they did a couple patches and I had to readjust twice, now water line is target for long range.  Adjustments are the key.
"Colonel, I do not care to die, but I pray to God I may never leave this field."

Nefaro

Battleship play = The Cult Of RNGesus.

1) Pray to RNGesus for low salvo dispersion.

2) Pray to RNGesus that your AP penetrates, which is essentially a damage roll.

3) Pray to RNGesus you get Citadel hit(s) for maximum damage.

Antonia Banderas agrees!   ~~~>>

:D

Windigo

Well my Tirpitz tonight was hot and cold. Pranged a few off of turrets but also got a few citadel hits.... poor bastard had me then I got a citadel and took out a turret... the cruisers finished him off after that.

My carriers on the other hand were red hot.... even the amero torp planes got 2-3 hits in a torp run... and they actually survived some fighter encounters... slow bastards that they are (lvl 6)
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

ComradeP

Late to the party, I finally downloaded World of Warships today.

It's going to take quite some adjustment coming from WoT.

The experience is more peaceful and more intense at the same time, with sailing around for a bit followed by duels with less downtime due to longer engagement ranges.

Using the Japanese destroyer line thus far is somewhat frustrating. I TK'ed a guy who was oblivious to my torpedo spread and didn't move out of the way. Admittedly, I only have the first DD thus far.

The only way I can reliably knock out enemy ships is by shotgunning them with torpedo's from close range, which is dangerous against anything better than a cruiser. At longer ranges, the travel time is too long/the torpedo's are too slow to make much of an impression and care has to be taken not to TK or damage a teammate (the downside of a long range is that the torpedo's also just keep going after missing the target).

Firing the ship's gun and leading for those is easier, but the torpedo's take more getting used to than expected.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Shelldrake

ComradeP, early destroyers are a challenge because they are eggshells with popguns and short range torps. It does get easier at higher tiers but Japanese destroyers remain fragile while US and Russian destroyers can take a bit more punishment. IMO the best all around destroyers are US. I found that at lower tiers it is easiest to play cruisers.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Nefaro

Japanese torpedoes out-range their DD's detection range around Tier 4/5.  The spread gets more exaggerated the higher you go afterward.

So you will eventually be able to fire long range torpedo spreads without being detected.  Enemy destroyers and aircraft being the main problem at detecting you while trying to get into position to do so.  Be very wary of US and Soviet destroyers, as their guns fire much faster than yours;  they're great at killing Jap DDs up close in gun duels but their torpedoes aren't good until around Tier 8.

Getting good at making torpedo hits requires experience.  Lots of it, if your target is zig-zagging, regularly changing it's speed, or bow/aft-on to you (in other words - knows what he's doing).  You'll learn to predict their future behavior a bit better, and adjust your fire cone as needed.  Although that still won't guarantee they'll do it.

As for causing friendly fire with torpedoes, the general rule has been:  If a friendly is anywhere near your torpedo path, and could possibly hit them even by turning, then hold your fire until they're clear. 

Much of the time those friendlies who are closer to the enemy, anywhere near the direction you're aiming, are being fired upon by said enemy.  So they're too pre-occupied to worry about dodging their teammates' fish coming from behind them.  Just be very careful and hold your fire if in doubt.

steve58

Once you get to the Isokaze and Minekaze, its a lot more fun O0

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Tuna

You need to fire your gun more!!!!  ::)

steve58

I do, but with all the dodging and jinxing my aim sux and then again it is a Minekaze... :crazy2:

p.s. sorry missed you in game.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jack Nastyface

Funny....I do the same thing about not firing guns when I jinking about to get a torpedo run.  Yesterday I was knife-fighting against another DD who was also trying to line up a torpedo run when I finally remembered: oh yeah...guns.  I quickly fired two salvos of HE, scored a critical hit on his steering and torpedo tubes.

Good fun, but I am finding the game balance can be bit off.  I was playing a level V US CA yesterday (the Omaha?), was doing REALLY good (i must say) trading shots with some CVs, when a single salvo (6 rounds) from a VII BB completely wiped me out.  Quelle bummer.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Tuna

It's good when a Japanese DD not to fire too much and stay stealthy, especially with your advantage with detection and torp range.

But a guy Nef and Hancock and I play with, has rubbed off on me, with his gun firing all the time, so I even do it in my Minekaze!. Sometimes I'm smart, sometimes I'm not!

ComradeP

After some additional matches, I can't say there's much improvement thus far.

Japanese DD torpedo range exceeds detection range even at tier 2, where you have 8 km range torpedo's. They also have a spectacular reload time at that tier.

I'm now trying the tier 3 DD.

One of the things I never liked about WoT was that at around tier V and VI, armament progression became mostly penetration improvement, which made matches more drawn out as hitpoints increased significantly, particularly at tier VI/VII. That's also why I enjoyed playing tier III/IV matches a lot more than anything after that.

I mostly used TD's, and in many cases moving up a tier is a downgrade of sorts as you're using the same or an inferior gun, or a somewhat better gun with a much slower reload rate. Compared to the relative punch TD's have at lower tiers, the power of the Marder and SU-85B is unequaled. My kill to death ratio is about 3:1 in WoT, mostly due to also using other vehicles than the SU-85B.

Looking at the Japanese DD tech tree in WoWs, it seems there is also limited progress in torpedo performance from tier IV to VI, with the main improvement being range, at the cost of significantly increased reload time.

Wargaming.net likes confined spaces (and giving the Soviets 1950's equipment...) in WoWs as well based on the maps I've seen thus far, so I'm sceptical about how useful 10 km range torpedo's actually are. Speed seems far more important than range thus far. Yes, you can launch torpedo's from well out of detection range, but there's likely to be an island in between you and the target by the time your torpedo's would connect at long ranges.

A weapon system travelling in a horizontal line in an environment with numerous obstacles is much less efficient than a weapon system firing in an arc. A single enemy course change, no matter how minor, will also make the torpedo's miss completely. When it takes your torpedo's a minute or more to reach the target, "anticipating" enemy moves becomes an educated guess at best.

Like giving bigger guns less of an advantage through the relatively low visibility limit and often at least somewhat obstructed or confined terrain in WoT, based on what I'm seeing the presence of the islands will limit the Japanese DD advantage they would enjoy in open seas.

I wonder if accuracy penalties when firing when moving full speed will be implented, as one of the things that make torpedo's less likely to hit is just how quickly everything moves around and thus by extension how many speeds an enemy vessel can choose when slowing down.

It's enjoyable, but it's quite a learning curve and I normally don't like things depending on luck, which is what long range torpedo fire comes down to at this point for me as a beginner, even when facing people who are not zig-zagging and facing me with their side.

I see you have a ~2:1-3:1 kill to death ratio in a number of ships Nefaro, so I'll just have to keep practising as it can clearly be done:)
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

ComradeP

Finally had a decent match, albeit with lousy accuracy. The South Carolina killed me after two volleys, but was stationary so I could put all 4 torpedo's into its side.

I regularly fire torpedo's to discourage ships to go into an area, or to force them to turn. Accuracy isn't going to be nearly as good as in WoT.

The match after this, I finished off a South Carolina, torpedo'ed another one and also had a Soviet destroyer run over a torpedo after deploying his smokescreen, which was satisfying.

Basically, I need to learn to take calculated risks when sailing in a destroyer.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on June 23, 2016, 09:31:48 PM
It's good when a Japanese DD not to fire too much and stay stealthy, especially with your advantage with detection and torp range.

But a guy Nef and Hancock and I play with, has rubbed off on me, with his gun firing all the time, so I even do it in my Minekaze!. Sometimes I'm smart, sometimes I'm not!

I tend to only use my Japanese DD guns against nearby enemy DDs.

Learned my lesson when I started firing too much after launching torpedoes & tipping off my intended target that I was there.  Experienced ones would quickly turn and/or change speed so my newly launched spread would miss.   It's what I do any time a Japanese DD pops up within torpedo range, so makes sense to stay stealthy until those hit or miss.

I've mentioned this to 2nd, but he also says that he starts firing at some of them if they begin to turn away while his torpedoes are out, in the hopes that they will turn back towards to unmask all their batteries on him (and , therefore, back into his torpedo spread).  This has also worked for me on some occasions.  ;D

A little psychology involved.. all dependent on the other guy's aggressiveness or noob-ery.  If they're smart & careful, it's detrimental.