金剛, "Indestructible Diamond", named for Mount Kongō

Very real.  Built in the UK.  Last battleship sunk by a submarine ever:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 28, 2018, 07:41:59 AM

金剛, "Indestructible Diamond", named for Mount Kongō

Very real.  Built in the UK.  Last battleship sunk by a submarine ever:

And Watatake:

ComradeP

After reading this thread again, I decided to give the game another go. I had not played it in nearly 2 years. Man, does this take some getting used to. I'm slowly getting in shape, but not-so-great matches are still common.

In 2016, I mostly used early/mid-tier Japanese DD's and only played a few dozen matches. My current vessel of choice is the Koenigsberg, as the DD line was too vulnerable in Random Battles in my opinion.

I get the feeling there's more chance involved than in WoT, as the long engagement ranges can mean your match turns into a game of whack a mole with me being the mole if the enemy team decides to focus fire on my cruiser. WoT has a number of flaws, but with proper positioning you usually couldn't be hit by most of the enemy team. The islands help, but not always.

My kill to death ratio in WoT for the Su-85B was  3.44 in 900 matches, it's a diabolical seal clubber vehicle. It will be a while before I can approach anything like that here.

Anyway, the tales of your victories are inspiring.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Geezer

I've toyed with the idea of coming back to this one too.  Went back to WoT to see how the new graphics looked, and they were nice.  But I rage quit twice in a week and deleted it from my hard drive.  The same would probably happen here.   :P
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Tuna

Nef, Hancock and I have enjoyed many fun hours in MP with this game. Yeah, we got a little burned out with too much. But always something we could come back to and immediately have fun. Sometimes it's just the changes Wargaming makes nerfing certain things that just turns you off.

The life of a destroyer captain is a tough one, because everyone wants to kill you (Hancock hates em), and they are constantly getting nerfed. But on the other hand, every class of ship has it's own strengths and weaknesses, so you just gotta get a feel for what they are and how they compete against each other. Then find the ships that have the right 'mix' for your tastes.

It really is a good game, just gotta give it a chance!

Windigo

I have to confess to the immense satisfaction I have had when I take out a destroyer. Frequently I would pick a cruiser with good detection just to squish the buggers. But now they have nerfed them to the point you got to admired the scrappy bastards playing them
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

MengJiao

Quote from: Windigo on April 03, 2018, 05:11:41 PM
I have to confess to the immense satisfaction I have had when I take out a destroyer. Frequently I would pick a cruiser with good detection just to squish the buggers. But now they have nerfed them to the point you got to admired the scrappy bastards playing them

I mostly only fight the Robots (co-op games), but in the lower tiers (III-VI) DDs do okay.  I prefer cruisers and fast battleships, but I'm giving DDs a try.

DennisS

Quote from: ComradeP on April 03, 2018, 11:40:54 AM
After reading this thread again, I decided to give the game another go. I had not played it in nearly 2 years. Man, does this take some getting used to. I'm slowly getting in shape, but not-so-great matches are still common.

In 2016, I mostly used early/mid-tier Japanese DD's and only played a few dozen matches. My current vessel of choice is the Koenigsberg, as the DD line was too vulnerable in Random Battles in my opinion.

I get the feeling there's more chance involved than in WoT, as the long engagement ranges can mean your match turns into a game of whack a mole with me being the mole if the enemy team decides to focus fire on my cruiser. WoT has a number of flaws, but with proper positioning you usually couldn't be hit by most of the enemy team. The islands help, but not always.

My kill to death ratio in WoT for the Su-85B was  3.44 in 900 matches, it's a diabolical seal clubber vehicle. It will be a while before I can approach anything like that here.

Anyway, the tales of your victories are inspiring.

My SU-85B had a 64% win rate..and this didn't happen by accident. 100% camo for the vehicle and crew. Ist shot damaged the oncoming tank, second shot took him out. Rinse and repeat.

WoW is different. If you can see someone to fire on, then they can see you.

Cruisers need to get in a little closer, and a good BB driver will eat your lunch. Random becomes a cat and mouse of sneaking in and out of islands, trying to shoot, then dodge back into cover. Not a fun way to play, but it is what it is.

DennisS

Quote from: MengJiao on April 03, 2018, 08:25:42 PM

I mostly only fight the Robots (co-op games), but in the lower tiers (III-VI) DDs do okay.  I prefer cruisers and fast battleships, but I'm giving DDs a try.

Best way to play DD's is to pretend that they don't have any guns..only torps. Use all your efforts to dodge enemy salvos, as you work your way close enough to torp the shit out of them. My three highest kill totals, and three highest damage totals all were with destroyers. Easily. My best is 12 torp hits. Bow on, race right in, and angle away from the side that has the guns. Approach your target after you see what side his guns are pointing to. Done properly, you will only be vulnerable to his destroyer screen, and whatever secondary weapons he has.

steve58

If you've played WOWS after the 0.7.2 update, you can probably claim 3 days of premium for free! The free time is payback for the FPS issue some players were having.

From now until May 7, all users who logged into the game in the period between Updates 0.7.2 and 0.7.3 will be able to claim 3 Premium Days as compensation.

All you have to do is:

1. Visit the Claim Rewards page
2. Make sure you're logged into your account
3. Click the CHECK button
4. Click the CLAIM button once your rewards are revealed!

The goods will hit your account in minutes! In rare cases, this might take up to an hour.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/the-fix-is-in/

Checked and I was eligible and claimed mine.  :clap:
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

MengJiao

Quote from: DennisS on April 03, 2018, 08:49:58 PM

Best way to play DD's is to pretend that they don't have any guns..only torps. Use all your efforts to dodge enemy salvos, as you work your way close enough to torp the shit out of them. My three highest kill totals, and three highest damage totals all were with destroyers. Easily. My best is 12 torp hits. Bow on, race right in, and angle away from the side that has the guns. Approach your target after you see what side his guns are pointing to. Done properly, you will only be vulnerable to his destroyer screen, and whatever secondary weapons he has.

The early DDs are especially difficult, but fun and rewarding.  I just took the Furutaka (a very light heavy cruiser) -- she was quite a contrast -- after the DDs she seemed totally deadly and completely indestructable (at least against the AI in Co-op).

Nefaro

Last I was playing, Destroyers had been nerfed so many times that you couldn't get good rewards with them, at high tiers, unless you did exceptionally well.  They supposedly upped the spotting and/or capture rewards, but it was so little that it just appeared to be a token showing.

Mid-tiers weren't quite as bad in that respect.  Mainly due to much fewer aircraft all over the place, and enemy ships with radar, all keeping you spotted (which is DD's only real defense in WoWs).

DennisS

Quote from: MengJiao on April 04, 2018, 03:27:14 PM
Quote from: DennisS on April 03, 2018, 08:49:58 PM

The early DDs are especially difficult, but fun and rewarding.  I just took the Furutaka (a very light heavy cruiser) -- she was quite a contrast -- after the DDs she seemed totally deadly and completely indestructable (at least against the AI in Co-op).

Most of the ships I have are tier V. The Furutaka, Emile Bertin, Kirov, and Konigsberg are all ships I play every day. I like the Furutaka, but I like the Kirov much better. I do stupid damage with the Kirov, against other cruisers. Only nine guns, but 3-4k per salvo is about average.

Of all the matches I have played, I am only getting 45% shell hits, and about 30% torp hits. I do like to get in close!

DennisS

Quote from: Nefaro on April 04, 2018, 09:35:21 PM

Last I was playing, Destroyers had been nerfed so many times that you couldn't get good rewards with them, at high tiers, unless you did exceptionally well.  They supposedly upped the spotting and/or capture rewards, but it was so little that it just appeared to be a token showing.

Mid-tiers weren't quite as bad in that respect.  Mainly due to much fewer aircraft all over the place, and enemy ships with radar, all keeping you spotted (which is DD's only real defense in WoWs).

First skill I spend is the one where you know how many ships are firing on you. Two or more, I consider turning tail, unless I know its short term...to punch through a screen to get at the heavies. Especially for fast destroyers. If you can get in behind them, you can do some real damage.

ComradeP

My accuracy with the Koenigsberg is only between 10 and 20 percent currently due to mostly firing at maximum range or at fast moving targets. Aiming at ranged targets takes some getting used to, as I have to get used to the trajectory and muzzle velocity. I've played less than 20 battles thus far, I believe.

From my very limited experience, it seems that there are more potential situations where you can be largely ineffective than in WoT.

The first and thus far most common situation is the match maker placing me in matches with tier VII battleships and, for some odd reason, only two tier VI ships as well as some other tier V ships. I don't think I've ever had matches in WoT where the "middle" tier in the match making sequence was mostly missing. Obviously, I might as well be throwing rocks at those tier VII battleships and have to be very careful to avoid hits, which greatly limits my contribution as I have to play hide and seek behind our own BB line or some islands.

Turning those battleships into a floating inferno is quite possible even with the reduced chance of causing a fire that the Koenigsberg has a handicap, but it doesn't do nearly enough damage to be a real threat to them.

Another, more peculiar situation comes from the huge map size as sometimes I find myself on the "wrong" side of the map from where the action is. Yesterday, I had a few matches in a row where very little was happening on the flank that I picked aside from 3 or 4 enemy ships that were quickly dealt with. The "guessing game" of where the enemy is going is a much bigger part of the experience here than in WoT, where relocating to an area from where you can target additional enemies usually takes less than a minute. It feels strange to enjoy some quiet sailing and taking in the aesthetic quality of the Koenigsberg and surrounding vessels and to see a ferocious battle going on in the distance which I can't really do much about due to the enemy being out of range. My team won all those matches, so it didn't really matter, but I'm guessing that being in the wrong place can cost you the game even after a good start.

For all the enthusiasm for other tier V cruisers, their more limited range (the Koenigsberg guns are close to BB range at 16.5 km) makes me wonder how you would deal with such situations then.

I tried a tier V Japanese DD match yesterday and didn't score a single hit. I decided to act as the DD screen for the BB's behind me. Upon moving forwards, I spotted several enemy BB's and two enemy DD's that couldn't yet see me as my detection range was about 0.5 km less than theirs due to camouflage. Firing would be suicidal and pointless because my DD only had 2 guns, so I had to hope the BB's behind me would destroy the enemy DD's so I could torpedo the enemy BB's. The BB's on my team did their best for a minute or two and then proceeded to bang away at the enemy ships on the other side of the map. As a result, I was constantly spotting the enemy DD's and moving back, rinse and repeat for the entire match until due to poor performance elsewhere my team collapsed. That wasn't a good match, and it shows that team play is far more important in WoWs than in WoT where you can generally knock enemy tanks out without help from your team.

There's certainly a learning curve to this, and I still have to consistently cause more damage than I have hitpoints (sort of a mark of average performance for me), but I'm getting there.

The results from the 4 morning matches: 8 ships sunk (3, 3, 0, 2), sank twice. Arsonist and Confederate with a maximum damage of 76.000. In a tier IV/V match, turning BB's into a floating inferno does work. Still not stellar, but it's improving.

Highlights: 25.000 fire damage on a BB as it ignored me for minutes for some reason even though I was by far the biggest threat it faced, sinking a Gneisenau with 3 torpedo's when it came around an island corner to try and remove my final 1500 hp after slapping me around for a bit, magically sailing through a 4 torpedo salvo with a damaged rudder.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45