Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Kushan, June 06, 2015, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 26, 2019, 10:28:18 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 24, 2019, 12:54:47 PM

HMS Fiji -- in game terms, she is a pretty good light cruiser -- well able to support the Bismarck even when the Bismarck backs up and hides behind an island, leaving the Fiji to finish off an AI Graf Spee or two.  Historically, of course, the Bismarck rarely backed up to hide behind islands and the Fiji was sunk by JU88s in May 1941 off Crete:

Fiji again:

Gusington

No crews visible on decks, eh?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Must be having a staff meeting. Is there a lot of hiding behind islands in this game? Or other tactics of the like?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 28, 2019, 10:30:41 AM
Must be having a staff meeting. Is there a lot of hiding behind islands in this game? Or other tactics of the like?

BB players that prefer to hide behind islands or at the map's edge for most of the match like to refer to it as "strategic placement of a naval asset"  :crazy2:

Yes, there are tactics like hiding behind islands.  Works really well if you are a DD setting up an ambush.  Some cruisers that have high firing arcs also use islands for cover.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Oh hi!  I was just wondering...what's the new player experience for this game like?  Will I be pitted against other noobs for the most part?  Easy to join a guild?  Worth playing without spending a fortune (although I'm not averse to spending some cash on it)?

MengJiao

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 31, 2019, 05:01:18 PM
Oh hi!  I was just wondering...what's the new player experience for this game like?  Will I be pitted against other noobs for the most part?  Easy to join a guild?  Worth playing without spending a fortune (although I'm not averse to spending some cash on it)?

I think the lower, noob-filled tiers are the most fun: the ships are cheap, relatively full of verisimilitude, the battles go fast.  I only play coop versus the AI so there's no point in being in a guild.  Judging by the [gWaLizar] type prefixes by say tier IV or V most people are in guilds (called clans apparently).  If you can drive your boat in a ship-like manner and not ram and or torpedo your team mates you'll be better than most of the true noobs.  In later tiers, you have to get used to people backing up in the Bismarck to hide behind an island.  Apparently that's crucial in "Clan Battles".  In earlier tiers you have to go with the wild flow of cruisers zipping around and usually not backing up as much as they will once they are in Clans and learn to hide on the high seas

Huw the Poo

OK, I think I'll give it a go soon then.  Thanks mate.

Wburn

The higher tiers are more deadly and slower when it comes to engagements.Usually it's a game of stealth, most warships especially in the 9-10 T which I play are jockeying for position and not to be seen or remaining out of range. Ships of course in T9-10 games are more expensive and a lot more powerful with higher accuracy and faster reloads.  You really start relying on teammates to push forward when the enemy side starts suffering from attrition creating holes in their defense. If your DD or cruiser has suffered around 30% damage you're not going to be as ambitious when it comes to exposure. That is when the chase starts! WOWS is a extremely fun game and you do develop skills as you rank up in tiers with your ships. I usually stay in T8-10 games depending on where the server places me.
There has been an uptick in seeing more CVs in the  higher tier games making for some extremely tense moments evading aircraft and rounds from the other side.

Huw the Poo

Thanks guys.  I just played my first couple of battles and had a blast!  I even managed to sink a few enemies.  Now, to the interwebs to learn what the hell to do next!

Huw the Poo

Well I'm absolutely still learning, there's plenty I don't know yet.  But I'll be damned if I'm not having fun!

I've worked myself up to a Nassau BB.  So far I've only been sunk twice and both times were due to being abandoned by my team.  The first time was a capture the enemy base mission.  I was the only person who bothered to stay in defense, so I was eventually overwhelmed by the enemy attack force.  The second time was the 3x control points mission, and I was the only player on my team who went for C.  I was in my BB and came up against three enemy DDs, all flanking me.  It didn't take long for their torpedos to finish me off!  Of course, with most of the enemy team at C and all of my team at A and B, we won anyway by being the first to 1,000.

Question.  In my shiny new Nassau, I swear I was only able to fire about once every 30 seconds or so.  Is that normal for a BB?  If so, I think I'll move back down to my Kolberg until I'm at a tier where there are lots of big ships in play.  Hardly ever being able to fire isn't much fun.

DennisS

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 28, 2019, 10:30:41 AM

In a match between humans, it is VERY much hiding..You get in range of enemy ship, expect metal hell to rain down.

DennisS

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 31, 2019, 05:01:18 PM

There are two different games. One is Players vs. AI, the second is Players vs. other players.

I generally play with other humans against the AI. I don't consider myself a noob anymore, and I am almost always in the top three for stats. But..when I play humans, I get my ass handed to me 7 out of 10 matches.

Consider human vs. ai the minor leagues, to learn the game, then progress on to the much harder PvP.

Downside here is that the actions and behaviors that work against the AI will get you crushed in PvP...but if you START PvP, you are likely to get very frustrated, very fast.

Huw the Poo

Heh, actually I went straight to PvP as soon as I could.  It seems more fun.  Sometimes I get my arse kicked, other times I catch some poor bastard totally unawares and get a few volleys off before he even realises I'm there.  It all balances out in the long run.

God damn this game is fun.  As soon as a battle is over I just jump right back in!  I just got a tier IV cruiser WITH TORPEDOS YAY so I'm looking forward to trying that bugger out next time I log in.