Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Kushan, June 06, 2015, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wburn

After not playing the game for a while I started up recently and the air game has made me change my tactics a lot. First hiding is fatal since air spotting range has gotten better. If you're stationary then kiss your ass goodbye from a well coordinated air attack. So what does work, grouping together to form a plausible air umbrella is a big plus and being in motion.
I always think it's better to do PvP, more rewarding if you can survive and win. Problem I have with the coop games is that the AI fleet mirrors your own. The question about the slow reload times on the Nassau can be shortened by modules and captain's skills. As you get to the Bayern and upper tier German BBs you reduce reload times but you get more dispersion on your main guns. That's the other good reason to so PvP is to develop skills by watching more experienced players play the game. Determine the force structure on the opposing team and your own teams weaknesses. A lot of times a suggestion or 2 can lead to better tactics from your teammates. Keep in mind most players like being given orders whether confident or not, think it's only human.

Huw the Poo

Thanks Wburn.  I haven't seen any aircraft yet but I'm sure it won't be long.

Yeah, I found out how to view modules and the main battery on the Nassau has a reloading time of 26 seconds!  Not fun at all.  I'm looking forward to getting these captain's skills...

Huw the Poo

I have 250 coins.  What should I spend them on?  Also, assuming I stick with the game long enough to make an investment, what do people generally buy with real currency?  Are the premium ships worth it?

Shelldrake

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 03, 2019, 02:14:54 PM
I have 250 coins.  What should I spend them on?  Also, assuming I stick with the game long enough to make an investment, what do people generally buy with real currency?  Are the premium ships worth it?

You can use your coins to alter captain skills or demount modules or save them to buy a premium ship although coal/steel will also do that for you. It sounds like you might be cruiser/destroyer guy if you like dodging and shooting! Tier 3 Saint Louis is fun with lots of quick firing guns, I also like Vier 5 Emerald as it plays like a big destroyer with guns and 2 torpedo mounts per side.

What is your in game handle?
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Huw the Poo

Thanks mate.  I don't think I've unlocked captain skills or coal/steel yet.  I'm huwie_blue in game but I play on EU servers.

Wburn

I think if you are going to spend real money on a ship look at what does well as far as point accumulation, if you browse the WOWS forums you'll get some ideas. I think at the lower tiers WG wants you to stay a player so they give you breaks on upgrading warships on their tech trees till about 4-5. Then it slows down considerably to acquire more ships.  If you like cruisers sometimes there is a sale for mid level tiered ships etc.
If you buy a high tier ship you probably will find it pretty frustrating in the high tier games till you get experienced. Better to stay mid range and advance accordingly. Figure on what tech path you want to remain on, German, Russian,  US. etc. I find the Russian line is pretty good as opponents and makes sense saying WOWS is a Russian company, there might be a little bias involved. :).
Something you may want to consider is purchasing a premium account. This gives you a better pay off when you are victorious and reduces the amount of repairs and replacement of commodities.

Huw the Poo

Good advice about the research path.  I'm in German ships at the moment but I think I'd better spend some time poring over the wiki.  Thanks again for the tips.

Destraex

I watched my son play the new carrier mechanics and was pretty bummed seeing fighters go in with rockets against bbs. I am though still loving war thunder ships which may not have the flashy big carriers and bbs. But is much much more realistic.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Huw the Poo

Well, I just had my first "oh, fuck off" moment.  An enemy DD literally appeared 500m away from me, that's a bit much isn't it?  And as if that wasn't bad enough, he torpedoed me at a distance of TWO HUNDRED metres!!!  I thought fish were supposed to have minimum ranges?  Surely 200m is below any minimum range?

Shelldrake

The new carrier mechanics have really thrown a monkey wrench into the works - in a match today I shot down 29 planes (most were attacking with rockets) with my Mushi, which has crappy AA.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Huw the Poo

I think I'm getting the hang of this:

This was a fantastic battle.  By the end there were two of us - me in my T4 CA and one other in a T4 BB - and an enemy CA and BB.  They had two control points, we had one.  The enemy were headed for a points victory.  But rounding the corner of an island on my way to help my BB friend, I sighted the enemy CA and quickly sunk him with my guns.  I was very heavily damaged but I rounded on the BB and unleashed a volley of torpedoes while we exchanged fire.  He sank me, but at the same time my torpedoes hit him and caused massive damage, leaving him an easy target for our last remaining player.  Victory to us!  Brilliant fight.

Tuna

Sir Slash

You mean, 'Huw' da man.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Huw the Poo

Hahahaha thanks!

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this game, I wish I'd discovered it ages ago.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd