oh oh...I just can't stop myself

Started by JudgeDredd, October 10, 2017, 12:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

You guys are killing me. I ALMOST bought a 1/72 EA-6B Prowler and the Hasagawa 1/700 Akagi models. It's probably only a matter of time, now.

JudgeDredd

OMG - I've been eyeing the Prowler for more than a year.

Get it.  >:D
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

This is proving to be every bit as difficult as I had originally thought. Worse, it's showing my lack of filling skills.

But - I want this done and on the shelf.

Currently, though you can't see it in the photos, it's white from Tamiya aerosol white primer and I'm not looking forward to painting it Dark Sea Grey and Dark Green because this beast used almost a whole tin of Tamiya White Primer!

The underneath section, bomb bay was an absolute disaster. It only connects at the 4 corners by a very small section and so was loose along the edges...this was made worse by the fact that it was warped (badly) and too small, leaving quite a gap all the way round which needed filling. But the filling wasn't good enough to deal with the warping unfortunately.

The sooner they remould this model, the better
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

You can soak thoae parts in very hot water and unwarp them.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 14, 2018, 06:34:29 PM
You can soak thoae parts in very hot water and unwarp them.
Thanks for the tip.

It's not something I've ever had to deal with...in all other models I've built, I've never seen this. It's an old Airfix kit - it has to go down to that.

I think I'll make sure I buy more modern, less cheap kits in future to prevent having to do more work than should be necessary. I don't mind a bit of filling...but bending moulds back into shape is a step too far for me.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Damn. I just cannot nail spray painting.

This was always going to be a challenge anyway, but the sheer size was always going to make it more daunting to me.

For one, I simply cannot get the paint/thinner mix right. I had to turn the PSI to 30-40 to blast the paint out. Then when I thinned the next cup, it started spidering...too thin. So final cup I thickened and had to up the pressure again.

Result is patchy paint layer and ALOT of paint "dust" which I brushed off which kind of worsened what was already a bad paint job!!

Here's the result. I just don't get it. Worse...once I've made a model, I end up fretting the whole time about painting, putting it off and then eventually getting all the paint kit out and screwing up up...making me even more sceptical next time!

It gets me down man. I love making these, but painting just freaks me the **** out.

I'm now panicking about putting the green on!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!  :pullhair: :pullhair:
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Maybe it doesn't have to be perfect. Maybe when the shiny stuff is added, the decals and then some weathering, it'll look ok...

I'm just a bit annoyed that I can't get to grips with thinning my paint. There's only so often I can blame and replace my airbrush  >:D
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Thanks.

As you can tell, I'm not overjoyed with my airbrushing. I just stress so much about it.

It doesn't look tooooo bad...Hopefully weathering will cover some of the scars.
Alba gu' brath

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mirth

^one of my favorite C&Hs

nice work, JD. A clear coat may help. The Vulcans always seemed to have a glossy finish.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mirth on April 22, 2018, 03:26:27 PM
^one of my favorite C&Hs

nice work, JD. A clear coat may help. The Vulcans always seemed to have a glossy finish.
To do

• Klear coat
  • Wheels on
  • Decals
  • Klear coat
  • Weathering

I've free-handed camo'd before but with a normal brush. With an airbrush, it's pretty difficult (even taking out the issues I had with thinning)
Alba gu' brath