Main Menu

Critter R.I.P.

Started by Bison, May 13, 2012, 06:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keunert

very sad, we were at the same forums as we shared the love for similiar games. Rest in peace Critter.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Martok

Quote from: son_of_montfort on May 14, 2012, 04:51:59 PM
I found the Obit:

http://baue.tributes.com/show/Raymond-W.-Critter-Cheatham-93812954

:'(
Thanks Monty.  I'm sad all over again to know his death is confirmed, but at least now we know for sure. 

...Is it crazy that I'm actually considering driving down to St. Louis (St. Charles) for the funeral?  My plan is only half-assed at the moment (I'd need to get Thursday night off, which might be tricky), but I'm thinking it could work. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Bison

I'd read the tribute earlier.  It's just a sad.  He was far too young.

Keunert

they plan to bury him with Decisive Campaigns The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris! That's my gaming favourite too, but i would rather take something like a drawing from my kids with me. he must have been a gaming enthusiast.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

MikeGER

on a side note
i opt for moving this farewell to Critter thread into the public area 

Barthheart

Gusington

Mike this thread is in Current Events which is public.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Tpek

These are sad news, my condolences to his family, friends and rest of kin. :(

Shelldrake

Quote from: son_of_montfort on May 14, 2012, 04:51:59 PM
I found the Obit:

http://baue.tributes.com/show/Raymond-W.-Critter-Cheatham-93812954

:'(

Terrible news. My condolences to all of Critter's family and friends. He was one of the good ones and will be greatly missed by the wargaming community. Rest in peace.  :'(
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Martok

All right, I think I've got it worked out so that I can attend his funeral on Friday. 

I was already going to be heading southeast this weekend anyway (Syttende Mai celebration in my mom's hometown, and I'm visiting my grandmother while I'm at it).  The main difference is now I'm leaving a day earlier and am taking a longer "scenic route" than originally planned -- 11/12-hour trip versus 5 hours.  :P 

It'll mean Thursday & Friday will be long days with all the driving, of course (it's also a 7/8-hour drive from St. Louis back up to Spring Grove, MN so I can attend the Syttende Mai festival), but I deem it worth the effort.  I considered Ray a friend, and he meant a lot to many of us; I think it's the least I can do for him. 

By the by, I'm wondering if I should maybe get a card and "sign" it from any Grogs (and possibly WG'ers) who request that I put their name(s) in.  What do you guys think? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MikeGER

Quote from: Martok on May 16, 2012, 01:12:04 AM
By the by, I'm wondering if I should maybe get a card and "sign" it from any Grogs (and possibly WG'ers) who request that I put their name(s) in.  What do you guys think?

yes please.
(and maybe in a separate note the links to his tribute threads at Grog, WG and Matrix .... maybe there are more sides?)
it may comfort his family and closer non wargaming friends a little, that he was much more then  'a trucker from IL with an exotic hobby' 
He made a global footprint.       

hmmm ...i also opt for a quick collection here for some 'flowers'? (i dont know the right American english expression)
i would 'paypal' you my share upfront to your account  (pm me the infos that would be nessesary ...if that would be ok?) 

Shelldrake

Quote from: Martok on May 16, 2012, 01:12:04 AM

Great idea - please add my name.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Staggerwing

Martok, I'd be grateful if you would ad me to the card as well. I didn't know him as well as some of you but he was no stranger.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

I think signing a card for a bunch of us, and including the link to this thread, is a great idea.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers