Main Menu

FRIDAY Shine

Started by -budd-, May 22, 2020, 06:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Dominions 5 has been my main timesink lately, with two PBEM games going.  One with the groggies, and one with a group of lads from a Metal discord who primarily play with Dom Enhanced 1.65.  That one's been quite the learning experience, but I did manage to just stave off a three-pronged attack from a veteran Ur player  8)

Quote from: airboy on May 22, 2020, 01:07:11 PM
I'm playing a single player, Rogue-like called Tales of Maj'Eyal.

I'm probably going to start another tabletop of a Mansions of Madness scenario with my wife.

ToME is by far my favorite roguelike.  According to Steam I have just south of 100 hours, I've only unlocked maybe half of the available classes, and I've only gotten one character past the "big bad" of the first continent -- let alone the end-tier eastern continent stuff. 

They did a great job taking the engaging tactical depth of something like Nethack, adding a smooth user interface, and removing the annoying mechanics that bog you down rather than present interesting tactical challenges.  Maybe I'll fire up a new Berserker this weekend and make an honest run at beating the game for the first time...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MetalDog

Quote from: -budd- on May 22, 2020, 06:46:49 AM
Welcome to the weekend. First time I've got to start a Friday thread.

And what an outstanding song choice!  I saw Warren Haynes do that with the Allman's about 10 years ago.  Love me some Allman Brothers!

Quote from: al_infierno on May 22, 2020, 03:00:42 PM
Dominions 5 has been my main timesink lately, with two PBEM games going.  One with the groggies, and one with a group of lads from a Metal discord who primarily play with Dom Enhanced 1.65.  That one's been quite the learning experience, but I did manage to just stave off a three-pronged attack from a veteran Ur player 8)

Congrats on the achievement!  Sounds truly epic!

I will be doing a whole lot of dueling in Magic the Gathering: Arena.  Grinding Gold to enter another booster draft before the weekend is out.  GOD do I suck at drafting :( 

I expect there will be some Civ IV mp before the weekend is out.  My friend and me are on the same team.  We almost eliminated one of the other teams players leaving just one on that side.  The AI team south of us has declared war on the remaining AI teammate next to us and it's a race between us and them to Vassal the solo AI.  I think we are going to lose.

And lastly, I loaded M2:TW onto this machine for the first time from Steam so I am playing a short campaign as England to open the rest of the playing choices (yes I know about the work around.  I just prefer to play it out).  My Goals are to eliminate Scotland and France.  The Scots should go quietly.  I have the rest of the Isles minus Edinburgh and the Rebel fort in the province above Edinburgh.  The continent is another story.

I went for Rennes right away and was rebuffed.  While I was recouping, the French swooped in and took it.  So once I healed, and produced a few more units, I went after Bruges and Antwerp.  Successful in both ventures, I have built Caen into a state of the art fortress and have London, Bruges, and Antwerp all humming along producing the gold to run my empire. 

In the meantime, my ally, Spain, was vassaled after a brief war with France.  The Holy Roman Emperor has started his dominance of Central Europe while Milan is north of the Alps and west of the Rhine.  I sent my diplomats into the world to gather allies and one by one, they formed against me: France, Holy Rome, and Milan.  So I went further afield seeking aggrieved parties of the previously stated tri partite pact and came to Venice.  I introduced myself and was received enthusiastically.  They sent me on my way East with directions to the Huns.  Not gone a day, I find that His Imperial Highness has parked his troops in front of Antwerp for a siege, declaring his intentions.  I turned back around immediately and spoke to the Venetians about Alliance.  They were so inclined and for a monthly stipend I induced them to attack the Empire.

in the north, the besieging army was routed by a relief force as well as the Heir Presumptive issuing forth from the city.  I already had a good bit of troops on the Continent and sent them towards their assigned targets.  Winter turned to Summer and a Papal Legate arrived with news: cease operations against the Emperor or be excommunicated.  And I cast two good votes for the ungrateful bastard!

And that's where I will pick up some time this weekend.

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

I been playing Medi 2 as England too to try to pick-up a short campaign win. I've found the game harder to beat than way back when I first played it. I've been held-up pretty well as England and Spain by the AI factions which now seem to play better than before. Or maybe I just suck more at this game than before. Anyway, the game's still a gem.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

CJReich46

Quote from: Anguille on May 22, 2020, 11:36:15 AM
Quote from: CJReich46 on May 22, 2020, 11:18:01 AM
Distant Worlds Universe - took me a while to figure out to get it to run on Win 10. 
Happy if you can give some advice. I haven't managed yet.

The link Yassy has listed should help.
What I did that really clinched it was check to see that Internet Explorer 11 was installed and activated. Once that was done. I was able to start it.

But it is important you check to see if I.E. 11 is activated, and so is Media Player (and installed). Once those two are in. The game should start. There isn't anything else at least I know of.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Martok

It's Warhammer II for me this weekend.  Have started a campaign as the Lord of Dragons himself, High Elf Prince Imrik.  Good stuff so far! 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Myrmidon

Will be churning out some more turns in the Dominions 5 Grogscape match.  The feeling of playing this game in MP is totally different from the SP experience.  Quite the rush, and nothing has really even happened yet!

I may get another Field of Glory MP game going, after getting closely defeated in a Syracuse vs Carthage mirror match.  If I ever get brave enough, I may try doing an AAR of one of my matches, not only for the fun of it, but a round by round talk through may help me spot some of the weaknesses in my game.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

MetalDog

Quote from: MetalDog on May 22, 2020, 06:23:10 PM
I expect there will be some Civ IV mp before the weekend is out.  My friend and me are on the same team.  We almost eliminated one of the other teams players leaving just one on that side.  The AI team south of us has declared war on the remaining AI teammate next to us and it's a race between us and them to Vassal the solo AI.  I think we are going to lose.

We got back down to business today. We declared war on Lincoln (and the one city that remained to Wang Kon).  We both took a city from Lincoln while Roosevelt took a city, too.  Then we vasslaed Lincoln (and Wang).  It's almost 60 turns later.  We are behind in the tech race but not so far that we can't field comparative armies.  Just Roosevelt and Mao will have much larger ones.  The continent we all share has a bottleneck in the very middle and that is where I share a border with Roosevelt.  We have moved a large army to the two cities I own on the border.  We continue to build and pray that when war comes, we can hold our own.  Time will tell.

Martok

Sounds like a fantastically tense game, MD.  :) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

Had a great gaming weekend, capped off today with a live Turn One of GMT's Cataclysm on Vassal, with several guys from the Crisis Grogs multiplayer group including ArizonaTanks!  :notworthy:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MetalDog

Quote from: Martok on May 25, 2020, 06:37:49 PM
Sounds like a fantastically tense game, MD.  :)

Here's the update from the Continent:

Quote from: MetalDog on May 22, 2020, 06:23:10 PM
And lastly, I loaded M2:TW onto this machine for the first time from Steam so I am playing a short campaign as England to open the rest of the playing choices (yes I know about the work around.  I just prefer to play it out).  My Goals are to eliminate Scotland and France.  The Scots should go quietly.  I have the rest of the Isles minus Edinburgh and the Rebel fort in the province above Edinburgh.  The continent is another story.

I went for Rennes right away and was rebuffed.  While I was recouping, the French swooped in and took it.  So once I healed, and produced a few more units, I went after Bruges and Antwerp.  Successful in both ventures, I have built Caen into a state of the art fortress and have London, Bruges, and Antwerp all humming along producing the gold to run my empire. 

In the meantime, my ally, Spain, was vassaled after a brief war with France.  The Holy Roman Emperor has started his dominance of Central Europe while Milan is north of the Alps and west of the Rhine.  I sent my diplomats into the world to gather allies and one by one, they formed against me: France, Holy Rome, and Milan.  So I went further afield seeking aggrieved parties of the previously stated tri partite pact and came to Venice.  I introduced myself and was received enthusiastically.  They sent me on my way East with directions to the Huns.  Not gone a day, I find that His Imperial Highness has parked his troops in front of Antwerp for a siege, declaring his intentions.  I turned back around immediately and spoke to the Venetians about Alliance.  They were so inclined and for a monthly stipend I induced them to attack the Empire.

In the north, the besieging army was routed by a relief force as well as the Heir Presumptive issuing forth from the city.  I already had a good bit of troops on the Continent and sent them towards their assigned targets.  Winter turned to Summer and a Papal Legate arrived with news: cease operations against the Emperor or be excommunicated.  And I cast two good votes for the ungrateful bastard!

And that's where I will pick up some time this weekend.

Being thwarted by His Holiness, I turned my attention to the Scots.  With perfidy and malice aforethought, I landed at the port of Edinburgh while simultaneously advancing north from York.  The Scottish King and his son had just seen off some brigands and I caught them in the open.  My men swarmed up from the docks and met their Yorkshire brethren to do battle against the Scot.  We routed the King and Prince, who fled to the (presumed) safety of the town.  My men followed and besieged Edinburgh.  Winter turned Summer and we assaulted the town.  The King and Prince both died in the fighting, thus, ending the Scots as a nation.

Meanwhile, the French continue to move through my lands, sending diplomats to bribe my commanders to hand over the town.  They hide their troops in my forests and generally make nuisance of themselves.  But Bruges and Antwerp are stuffed with troops and Caen is a mighty English fortress so they dare not make a move.  My continuing diplomatic efforts have yielded nothing.  My second eldest Princess has been sent to the Danes to see about a marriage alliance.  Their blood runs in ours, why not join our families?! 

Finally, the Pope's decree is lifted.  The Emperor has been excommunicated!!!  His lands are forfeit to any good Catholic ruler able to take them!  The Heir Presumptive's son is sent towards Hamburg with a large force.  A land bridge between myself and Denmark might help facilitate a marriage match.  Our good Admiral besieges the port whilst my grandson lays siege to the castle.  As Winter turns to Summer yet again, word arrives that the Emperor is reconciled with His Holiness and I am to cease operations immediately or face excommunication myself!  Execrable Pontiff!!