Main Menu

Waronoi

Started by Lowenstaat, December 20, 2020, 11:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowenstaat

This just came across my radar on Steam. Looks like a 2D military-themed RTS game, but I can't tell much more than that from the trailer and pictures on Steam. It appears to feature a chain of command with corps at the top down to company and maybe even platoons (the tiny ones in the pictures). The text description is fairly brief:

"Imagine a chess board where you can zoom in to see that every piece, is made up by several smaller pieces, which is made up by several smaller pieces, etc. Waronoi is a modern military real-time strategy game on a breath taking scale, where the fate of an entire army can be altered by a single unit.

Key Features
Online multiplayer with up to 8 players or bots. Any team configuration is possible.
Procedurally generated maps for infinite replayability.
Unique command tree mechanic for easy large army management.
Easy to learn, impossible to master, with gameplay that rewards fast thinking more then fast playing."

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1444550/Waronoi/

Here's the trailer on YouTube:

"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

hellfish6

That looks really interesting, but possibly too abstract for me. Watching the video it didn't look like there was really any difference between units, no logistics, no artillery, etc. Also, that music was awful. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Edit: It kinda reminds me of this: https://militaryoperationshq.com/

They put a (really impressive) tech demo out on Steam and they disappeared. No idea what happened. Seemed to have a ton of promise and was pretty far along.

Apocalypse 31

This looks very intriguing. I like abstraction and I'll probably pick this up tonight.

JasonPratt

I definitely saw artillery being used -- the shells were curving in flight, and moved more slowly. Air support of different kinds moving around, too.

Seems like a simpler version of Command Ops, with more modern weapons of course (e.g. only a few working helicopters in WW2).

I couldn't help but notice however that some ground units were ignoring roads in favor of woods, and yet were moving just as fast as anything else in their group. A unique capability of those units? But I never saw any real road usage. {checking again} Okay, I saw a little road usage in places, definitely following road paths though in some cases the whole group was flanking the road and moving a the same rate. Also pieces were moving over water at the same rate as over land, but maybe those were airmobile cav.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!